Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Thoughts on O'Shaughnessy?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Over the years our QBs whether Bortles or Minshew have always seemed to steer clear of the T.Es for whatever reason, Part of me likes what i've seen from Oshag this preseason and I'm wondering if maybe he's a little bit better than we thought, but maybe the reason it seemed like he wasn't so good was because of the QB play. Anyone else feel this way?
I still think O'Shag could turn out to be our Dallas Clark.. Hell, any of our TE's could be Clark with TLaw throwing them open, as long as they keep catching the footballs. A good QB could turn your WR's and TE's into stars..

Edit: Well, maybe not Clark, but much better than we had for years and years..
Ive always liked him. He was producing for minshew before his ACL tear.

Looks like Manhertz may be underrated as well.
Mahertz is a giant dude. Would be great if he can develop into a consistent pass-catching TE
(08-30-2021, 08:00 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Over the years our QBs whether Bortles or Minshew have always seemed to steer clear of the T.Es for whatever reason, Part of me likes what i've seen from Oshag this preseason and I'm wondering if maybe he's a little bit better than we thought, but maybe the reason it seemed like he wasn't so good was because of the QB play. Anyone else feel this way?

I feel he is our best over all TE and has been for a while. We just rarely throw to our TEs for some reason.
(08-30-2021, 08:25 AM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-30-2021, 08:00 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Over the years our QBs whether Bortles or Minshew have always seemed to steer clear of the T.Es for whatever reason, Part of me likes what i've seen from Oshag this preseason and I'm wondering if maybe he's a little bit better than we thought, but maybe the reason it seemed like he wasn't so good was because of the QB play. Anyone else feel this way?

I feel he is our best over all TE and has been for a while. We just rarely throw to our TEs for some reason.

OShag and Mannhertz are two halves of a good overall TE.  Too bad we can't combine them into one player.
The fact that Lazard has turned out to be a key receiving option for Aaron Rogers gives me hope for O'Shag provided we utilize the TE position properly !! Rogers actually mentioned Lazard on an interview by Jim Rome last week.
Being a receiving TE seems pretty straightforward: catch the ball, protect it, turn downfield and use your size and strength to get as many yards as you can because you’ll be swarmed like a wounded animal on the African plain.
Manhertz wasn't used as a receiver before. That doesn't mean he can't develop that skill. I think the TEs we have are serviceable.
With regards to O'Shag and Manhertz, it kinda reminds me of Hernandez and Gronk. It just seems that Hernandez was producing on the field before Gronk. Gronk seemed to grow into a receiving threat and eventually eclipsed Hernandez as a threat downfield. The rest is history. Not saying the talent level is the same here with our guys, just it seems possible. That said, if a proven talent comes available after cutdowns tomorrow we should snap one up.
Oshay, can catch and block well. He isn't a burner but he does get yac and doesn't drop much. He was having a great year until he got hurt. But he has upside with a real qb. Like to see him targeted on some outs and slants.
He's been the best of a terrible group but I think he's more like a good TE3 than a guy you want leading the position.

QBS steered clear because we had crap TEs , crap QBs and crap coordinators. 

O’ Shaughnessy is a halfway decent number 2 TE by NFL standards.
Having him # 1 on your depth chart is far from ideal, but he’ll produce with TL distributing the ball.
If he’s healthy 500 yds and 4 YDs is achievable this year.  

At this point I’m more concerned about the line protecting consistently than what we’ll get out of TE in the passing game.

(08-30-2021, 09:50 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Being a receiving TE seems pretty straightforward: catch the ball, protect it, turn downfield and use your size and strength to get as many yards as you can because you’ll be swarmed like a wounded animal on the African plain.

An animal on the African plain.

Like, maybe, a …. Giraffe? 

Tongue
When he's healthy, he's the definition of "serviceable". He can get the job done but he's not going to be someone opposing defenses are going to lose sleep over.
The best recieving threat at TE we have is Tyler Davis. Sadly I think he is odd man out, but I still think he has what it takes.
O'Shaughnessy has always flashed ability when he's been on the field. The problem is he hasn't been able to stay healthy consistently. If he can stay healthy this year, I think he will surprise a lot of people.
(08-30-2021, 02:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]

QBS steered clear because we had crap TEs , crap QBs and crap coordinators. 

Having him # 1 on your depth chart is far from ideal, but he’ll produce with TL distributing the ball.

At this point I’m more concerned about the line protecting consistently than what we’ll get out of TE in the passing game.

(08-30-2021, 09:50 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Being a receiving TE seems pretty straightforward: catch the ball, protect it, turn downfield and use your size and strength to get as many yards as you can because you’ll be swarmed like a wounded animal on the African plain.

Tongue
Yeah I don't think he's going to be a Darren Waller/Kelce/Kittle type ofcourse. But i'm wondering if maybe he can turnout to be at the very least a #1 T.E that by years end, makes us feel like we don't need to throw a top pick into the position come draft time.
(08-31-2021, 01:41 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-30-2021, 02:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]QBS steered clear because we had crap TEs , crap QBs and crap coordinators. 

Tongue
Yeah I don't think he's going to be a Darren Waller/Kelce/Kittle type ofcourse. But i'm wondering if maybe he can turnout to be at the very least a #1 T.E that by years end, makes us feel like we don't need to throw a top pick into the position come draft time.

I’d spend a third or fourth next year on TE

Of course they HAD a third rd TE and gave him away - so now it’s o,shag and a dire need to add talent at the position.
(08-31-2021, 02:09 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-31-2021, 01:41 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah I don't think he's going to be a Darren Waller/Kelce/Kittle type ofcourse. But i'm wondering if maybe he can turnout to be at the very least a #1 T.E that by years end, makes us feel like we don't need to throw a top pick into the position come draft time.

I’d spend a third or fourth next year on TE

Of course they HAD a third rd TE and gave him away - so now it’s o,shag and a dire need to add talent at the position.

I'm kinda sad we didn't take Friermuth but it is what it is.