Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: UK fires up coal power plant as gas prices soar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
It's an interesting article, but why did you post it to the political section?
(09-07-2021, 09:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]It's an interesting article, but why did you post it to the political section?

Gas prices typically stem from political decisions, and the push for green energy is 92% politicial.

I feel this is the perfect place for this.
In response to your deleted post, it doesn't matter what kind of "gas" we are talking about. Politicial decisions drive its price the majority of the time.

I just get a laugh out of all roads leading back to good ole dirty fossil fuels when the going gets rough.
(09-07-2021, 09:20 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-07-2021, 09:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]It's an interesting article, but why did you post it to the political section?

Gas prices typically stem from political decisions, and the push for green energy is 92% politicial.

So if the push for green energy is causing traditional energy companies to scale back production, it seems like that would cause a rise in oil and natural gas prices, which would put a lot of money in the pockets of traditional energy producers like Exxon.  Exxon is also the only large oil company that is continuing to make large investments in productive capacity.  Perhaps you should make an investment in Exxon.

(09-07-2021, 09:39 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]In response to your deleted post, it doesn't matter what kind of "gas" we are talking about. Politicial decisions drive its price the majority of the time.

I just get a laugh out of all roads leading back to good ole dirty fossil fuels when the going gets rough.

I deleted my post because I did a little reading on the price of natural gas, and found that your comment was more correct than I thought.

Nonetheless, what's important here?  Money.  We should invest in Exxon.
The UK is doing way better than the US with regard to energy mix, though. It's news that they went from 2% coal to 3% coal. In the US we are usually at 20% coal. We need to do better; we need more nuclear power. And more solar.
(09-07-2021, 09:20 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]

As info, your new avatar has been approved for posting in other sections.
(09-07-2021, 11:08 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]The UK is doing way better than the US with regard to energy mix, though.  It's news that they went from 2% coal to 3% coal.  In the US we are usually at 20% coal.  We need to do better; we need more nuclear power.  And more solar.

We definitely need more nuclear power. The safety requirements have become so onerous and ever-changing that completion of nuclear power plants already in construction has become virtually impossible due to cost overruns.
Agreed.
(09-07-2021, 11:08 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]The UK is doing way better than the US with regard to energy mix, though.  It's news that they went from 2% coal to 3% coal.  In the US we are usually at 20% coal.  We need to do better; we need more nuclear power.  And more solar.

We need lower cost solar, which in turn means more solar.

Only a total idiot would invest in something with a 20+ year ROI all in the name of a lower monthly bill.
(09-07-2021, 02:37 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]

We need lower cost solar, which in turn means more solar.

Only a totally considerate individual idiot would invest in something with a 20+ year ROI all in the name of reducing climate change a lower monthly bill.

Ftfy.
(09-07-2021, 04:36 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-07-2021, 02:37 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]We need lower cost solar, which in turn means more solar.

Only a totally considerate individual idiot would invest in something with a 20+ year ROI all in the name of reducing climate change a lower monthly bill.

Ftfy.

Few questions....

1. What kind of automobiles do you have in your family? 

2. Do you maintain your own lawn? If so, what kind of equipment do you have? If not, what kind of equipment does your yard service use?

3. Does your home have solar panels or solar shingles? Are you disconnected from.the grid?
Those where rhetorical questions Mike. We know the answers.

You phony self righteous libs are everything wrong about this country.
(09-07-2021, 02:37 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]We need lower cost solar, which in turn means more solar.

Ftfy.

Do you even know the cost of an average solar setup that won't necessarily power an entire house? It is not cost effective for the average person. I would love nothing more than to have solar and go off-grid but it's simply not an option for us. Also, many municipalities do not allow for homes to be completely off-grid. They allow you to use solar but you must still be tied into the grid. That makes no sense to me. If I was able to invest in solar it would to be off-grid, otherwise I'm still part of the problem being in the system.

Only a total considerate individual idiot would invest in something with a 20+ year ROI all in the name of reducing climate change a lower monthly bill pandering to his or her democrat party.

Ftfy.

FTFY.

By the way, I worked as an engineer for a solar company for a while.  While solar could work in certain applications, it is not exactly a "climate change" answer.  Ask yourself how the energy is stored and how it's made.  Electricity doesn't just come off of solar panels (or wind turbines or hydro power) and immediately power your home.  Then ask yourself what is done with the byproduct once it's reached it's service life.  Tell me exactly how that is all good for "climate change" global warming.
(09-07-2021, 04:57 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Those where rhetorical questions Mike. We know the answers.

You phony self righteous libs are everything wrong about this country.

Tell me the answers if you know them.

(09-07-2021, 04:59 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-07-2021, 04:36 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Ftfy.

Do you even know the cost of an average solar setup that won't necessarily power an entire house? It is not cost effective for the average person. I would love nothing more than to have solar and go off-grid but it's simply not an option for us. Also, many municipalities do not allow for homes to be completely off-grid. They allow you to use solar but you must still be tied into the grid. That makes no sense to me. If I was able to invest in solar it would to be off-grid, otherwise I'm still part of the problem being in the system.

I don't see the attraction in going off grid.
When my home produces excess solar power, it goes to the grid, and the power company burns less fossil fuel in response. I'm still "part of the problem" I guess but a smaller part than I was before.
The ones who really need to change their behavior are not people like you and me, but the power companies.

(09-07-2021, 06:31 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-07-2021, 04:36 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Ftfy.

FTFY.

By the way, I worked as an engineer for a solar company for a while.  While solar could work in certain applications, it is not exactly a "climate change" answer.  Ask yourself how the energy is stored and how it's made.  Electricity doesn't just come off of solar panels (or wind turbines or hydro power) and immediately power your home.  Then ask yourself what is done with the byproduct once it's reached it's service life.  Tell me exactly how that is all good for "climate change" global warming.

A used up solar panel in the landfill has absolutely no impact on climate change.  Neither good nor bad.
Going off grid is about self sustainability (for me anyway) and it takes a load off the grid that has to power hospitals, nursing homes, fire and rescue departments, airports, etc. Places that cannot realistically operate on solar, wind or hydro alone. Our power grids are not infallible. They are not maintained and upgraded to the standards they should be for the demand put on them. I would much prefer to have my own means of running my house when someone hits a power pole or a hurricane knocks out power.
(09-07-2021, 07:09 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]A used up solar panel in the landfill has absolutely no impact on climate change.  Neither good nor bad.

Wrong... as usual.

What does it take to build a solar panel?  What is it made of?  How much petroleum goes into it?  What do those materials do to the earth that they are discarded in?

What about the batteries required to store the DC power from solar panels?  Do you just discard lead/acid or lithium batteries in a landfill?  How are those batteries made?

Explain how harvesting and manufacturing the materials for those two products (solar panels and batteries) is not damaging to the climate.  Explain how discarding those materials is not damaging to the climate.
(09-08-2021, 11:41 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]Going off grid is about self sustainability (for me anyway) and it takes a load off the grid that has to power hospitals, nursing homes, fire and rescue departments, airports, etc. Places that cannot realistically operate on solar, wind or hydro alone. Our power grids are not infallible. They are not maintained and upgraded to the standards they should be for the demand put on them. I would much prefer to have my own means of running my house when someone hits a power pole or a hurricane knocks out power.

Absolutely.  I would go off grid if it was feasible, but it's not... at least for me.  The cost just doesn't allow me to do such a thing.
(09-08-2021, 02:29 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-07-2021, 07:09 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]A used up solar panel in the landfill has absolutely no impact on climate change.  Neither good nor bad.

Wrong... as usual.

What does it take to build a solar panel?  What is it made of?  How much petroleum goes into it?  What do those materials do to the earth that they are discarded in?

What about the batteries required to store the DC power from solar panels?  Do you just discard lead/acid or lithium batteries in a landfill?  How are those batteries made?

Explain how harvesting and manufacturing the materials for those two products (solar panels and batteries) is not damaging to the climate.  Explain how discarding those materials is not damaging to the climate.

Wrong.. as usual.
Of course it could take fossil fuels to create new solar panels, depending on the place they are made. Many factories use their own panels to power their process. There are costs in the mining process as well. Regardless, if properly installed, those panels will offset that initial input by a large factor.

As for batteries, there are no batteries in my home setup.

Discarding materials only harms the climate in terms of the carbon emissions of the garbage truck.  Once it's buried, that panel won't do anything to the atmosphere.
Pages: 1 2 3