Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: NC DOL on Covid work related complaints
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It hasn't occurred to me that places of business would not allow for legit Covid positive employees to call out of work, and stay out, for the recommended 10 days of self quarantine. This would explain part of the problem of transmission rates. 

When my husband had it he had to quarantine for 10 days. On the 11th day he went back to work. On day 12 I tested positive and they made him stay home again for 10 days because I was positive and we couldn't stay in separate parts of our house and completely away from each other and his employer wasn't taking any chances. He does work for local government though and they have strict protocols in place. Evidently other places do not. Something to think about when you go out and about. 

Link 

RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- North Carolina workers have filed close to 5,000 COVID-19 related complaints since the start of the pandemic, according to the North Carolina Department of Labor.

The complaints published by the U.S. Department of Labor outline similar concerns voiced at the start of the pandemic.

"Adequate precautions are not being utilized to prevent the spread of COVID-19," one worker wrote.

Many workers continued to be concerned that their employers are not properly cleaning, not telling employers when positive cases are detected and not following quarantine guidelines.

"The employer is allowing employees that tested positive for the COVID-19 virus to return to work before they are free of symptoms," said one complaint filed this summer.

Another said, "Employees are being told to come into work when they have COVID-19, or be fired. This is causing other employees to contract the virus as well."

Around 10,000 COVID-19 cases are linked to North Carolina workplaces, according to a report from the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.
Only the last complaint seems worth anything. Studies show that Covid doesn't really spread on surface contact. People can also still have symptoms after testing negatively for the virus. Now, if they have it and are being told to come into work, that's a different story.
(09-07-2021, 04:07 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]Only the last complaint seems worth anything. Studies show that Covid doesn't really spread on surface contact. People can also still have symptoms after testing negatively for the virus. Now, if they have it and are being told to come into work, that's a different story.

This is my biggest concern.
(09-07-2021, 05:15 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-07-2021, 04:07 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]Only the last complaint seems worth anything. Studies show that Covid doesn't really spread on surface contact. People can also still have symptoms after testing negatively for the virus. Now, if they have it and are being told to come into work, that's a different story.

This is my biggest concern.

I would doubt that is true. Maybe it's you have to come in or take off with no pay. There could also be some people saying I have symptoms and trying to get a paid day off without a positive test.

With every business not wanting the liability, I just don't see anyone taking the risk unless the company knows they are being played by the employee.
(09-07-2021, 07:45 PM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-07-2021, 05:15 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]This is my biggest concern.

I would doubt that is true. Maybe it's you have to come in or take off with no pay. There could also be some people saying I have symptoms and trying to get a paid day off without a positive test.

With every business not wanting the liability, I just don't see anyone taking the risk unless the company knows they are being played by the employee.

Cases have been investigated that have merit. The "we're hiring" signs are still all over the place in my area so everyone is short staffed and employers can tell people they have to report to work unless/until they have a positive test result.