Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: LAPD told to collect social media account info
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How is this legal? Especially for those not arrested or accused of crimes? But really, how can this be legal at all? I darn sure wouldn't give up that information. This reminds me of the movie, The Minority Report, where law enforcement had a "pre-crime" unit who tried to stop crime before it was supposed to happen. It goes on to say POC were required to provide their information and it has caused more distrust in the community. I don't care what your race, socioeconomic status, gender, sex, etc., is, this is not a good thing. Warrants are needed to search property, phone records, and such. They should have to have one for this as well. I guess if the person volunteers the information they're essentially giving permission, but the friends and family linked to their accounts certainly aren't. 

Link

The Los Angeles police department (LAPD) has directed its officers to collect the social media information of every civilian they interview, including individuals who are not arrested or accused of a crime, according to records shared with the Guardian.

Copies of the “field interview cards” that police complete when they question civilians reveal that LAPD officers are instructed to record a civilian’s Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and other social media accounts, alongside basic biographical information. An internal memo further shows that the police chief, Michel Moore, told employees that it was critical to collect the data for use in “investigations, arrests, and prosecutions”, and warned that supervisors would review cards to ensure they were complete.

The documents, which were obtained by the not-for-profit organization the Brennan Center for Justice, have raised concerns about civil liberties and the potential for mass surveillance of civilians without justification.

“There are real dangers about police having all of this social media identifying information at their fingertips,” said Rachel Levinson-Waldman, a deputy director at the Brennan Center, noting that the information was probably stored in a database that could be used for a wide range of purposes.

While the social media collection has gone largely unnoticed, the LAPD’s use of field interview cards has prompted controversy. Last October, prosecutors filed criminal charges against three officers in the LAPD’s metro division, accusing them of using the cards to falsely label civilians as gang members after stopping them. That unit also has a history of stopping Black drivers at disproportionately high rates, and according to the LA Times, has more frequently filled out cards for Black and Latino residents they stopped.

Meanwhile, more than half of the civilians stopped by metro officers and documented in the cards were not arrested or cited, the Times reported. The fact that a department under scrutiny for racial profiling was also engaged in broad scale social media account collection is troubling, said Levinson-Waldman.

Furthermore, when police obtain social media usernames it opens the door for officers to monitor an individual’s connections and “friends” online, creating additional privacy concerns. “It allows for a huge expansion of network surveillance,” said Levinson-Waldman, noting how police and prosecutors have previously used Facebook photos and “likes” to make dubious or false allegations of criminal gang activity.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/mvkgnp/l...n-survival

TL;DR: Never, ever, ever talk to the Police.
Exactly. It's like if you're in a car accident don't say anything. Call 911, call your insurance company, but don't say a dang word otherwise.
(09-08-2021, 11:23 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.vice.com/en/article/mvkgnp/l...n-survival

TL;DR: Never, ever, ever talk to the Police.

As Cathrine Madigan’s father advises, the standard reply to any question should be: “I do not recall, and I need to speak to an attorney”.
(09-08-2021, 11:13 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]How is this legal? Especially for those not arrested or accused of crimes? But really, how can this be legal at all? I darn sure wouldn't give up that information. This reminds me of the movie, The Minority Report, where law enforcement had a "pre-crime" unit who tried to stop crime before it was supposed to happen. It goes on to say POC were required to provide their information and it has caused more distrust in the community. I don't care what your race, socioeconomic status, gender, sex, etc., is, this is not a good thing. Warrants are needed to search property, phone records, and such. They should have to have one for this as well. I guess if the person volunteers the information they're essentially giving permission, but the friends and family linked to their accounts certainly aren't. 

Link

The Los Angeles police department (LAPD) has directed its officers to collect the social media information of every civilian they interview, including individuals who are not arrested or accused of a crime, according to records shared with the Guardian.

Copies of the “field interview cards” that police complete when they question civilians reveal that LAPD officers are instructed to record a civilian’s Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and other social media accounts, alongside basic biographical information. An internal memo further shows that the police chief, Michel Moore, told employees that it was critical to collect the data for use in “investigations, arrests, and prosecutions”, and warned that supervisors would review cards to ensure they were complete.

The documents, which were obtained by the not-for-profit organization the Brennan Center for Justice, have raised concerns about civil liberties and the potential for mass surveillance of civilians without justification.

“There are real dangers about police having all of this social media identifying information at their fingertips,” said Rachel Levinson-Waldman, a deputy director at the Brennan Center, noting that the information was probably stored in a database that could be used for a wide range of purposes.

While the social media collection has gone largely unnoticed, the LAPD’s use of field interview cards has prompted controversy. Last October, prosecutors filed criminal charges against three officers in the LAPD’s metro division, accusing them of using the cards to falsely label civilians as gang members after stopping them. That unit also has a history of stopping Black drivers at disproportionately high rates, and according to the LA Times, has more frequently filled out cards for Black and Latino residents they stopped.

Meanwhile, more than half of the civilians stopped by metro officers and documented in the cards were not arrested or cited, the Times reported. The fact that a department under scrutiny for racial profiling was also engaged in broad scale social media account collection is troubling, said Levinson-Waldman.

Furthermore, when police obtain social media usernames it opens the door for officers to monitor an individual’s connections and “friends” online, creating additional privacy concerns. “It allows for a huge expansion of network surveillance,” said Levinson-Waldman, noting how police and prosecutors have previously used Facebook photos and “likes” to make dubious or false allegations of criminal gang activity.

I wouldn't give any of that information out, even if I was being cited or charged with a crime.  The best thing to do is get a lawyer.  The only information that you have to give is your name and date of birth (basically your identification).

Remember your basic Miranda Rights, specifically the parts that say "anything you say can be used against you in a court of law" and "you have the right to an attorney".

As much as I don't care for lawyers, they are much better suited to handle legal issues than the average person.

I got in a bit of a pissing match with the base police one time because I refused to give my SSN.
Your every move is being monitored. Things as simple as ordering oil filters are triggering governmental intrusion. Everyday average Joe's.

(09-08-2021, 02:51 PM)Jagwired Wrote: [ -> ]Your every move is being monitored. Things as simple as ordering oil filters are triggering governmental intrusion. Everyday average Joe's.

Hope incognito browser sessions work.
(09-08-2021, 02:51 PM)Jagwired Wrote: [ -> ]Your every move is being monitored. Things as simple as ordering oil filters are triggering governmental intrusion. Everyday average Joe's.

That's crazy.  I order both diesel parts and firearm parts/ammunition online all the time.  I own 3 diesel tractors, a skid steer and a diesel truck as well as a number of firearms that I enjoy shooting on my property.  Equipment requires regular maintenance (filters) in order to operate properly.