Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Gus Johnson Vs. Frank Frangie
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just watched 109 yard TD return on ESPN.  Unfortunately, it’s Frangie’s call, not Johnson’s.
It’s horrible, as expected.  I can’t listen to him to on the radio.
Johnson’s call is classic Gus.  He almost ran out of breath.

*Watching Packets vs. 49ers, GB’s offense is so creative.
(09-26-2021, 08:44 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote: [ -> ]Just watched 109 yard TD return on ESPN.  Unfortunately, it’s Frangie’s call, not Johnson’s.

The headline is deceiving, I was hoping we'd read about Gus vs Mumbles in an MMA cage type throw down in the press box.
(09-26-2021, 08:50 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-26-2021, 08:44 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote: [ -> ]Just watched 109 yard TD return on ESPN.  Unfortunately, it’s Frangie’s call, not Johnson’s.

The headline is deceiving, I was hoping we'd read about Gus vs Mumbles in an MMA cage type throw down in the press box.

The hidden win in a cage match is those oversized mouthguards would make it impossible for either to talk. SIGN ME UP.

I watched the return and had memories of Derrick Wimbush in AZ. It was a rare Jags' KO return for TD, but the whole time I kept thinking to myself "This dude is running in molasses"

Good to see our investment in Agnew paying off. Still not sure why Kliff opted for a yuge kick instead of letting Murray give it a heave.

Frangie was another one of Shad's bad rookie moves as an owner.
I'd take Sexton back over Frangie...
(09-27-2021, 12:34 PM)enigma Wrote: [ -> ]I'd take Sexton back over Frangie...

I liked Sexton, but his vision problems were really noticeable in the preseason games he did with Bucky Brooks. He just can't tell the players apart on the field and that makes for bad play by play.

(09-27-2021, 08:30 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]

Frangie was another one of Shad's bad rookie moves as an owner.

Absolutely.
(09-27-2021, 12:38 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-27-2021, 12:34 PM)enigma Wrote: [ -> ]I'd take Sexton back over Frangie...

I liked Sexton, but his vision problems were really noticeable in the preseason games he did with Bucky Brooks. He just can't tell the players apart on the field and that makes for bad play by play.

That's a pretty astute point, never really attributed that to Sexton's inability to get the right player/number on a given play.

However, I just can't for the life of me listen to Frangie gargle on hotdog buns all game long. Thankfully, we had Gus on the main call but after looking at some clips of the game with Frangie on the call, I can't help but be reminded on how bad we have it.
(09-26-2021, 08:50 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]

Gus destroys FF in any kind of match in a ring or octagon.  Marblemouth is Boselli. 
I’d take Sexton and Robinson all day long.
Is unlistenable a word?  I don’t care, Frangie is unlistenable!
(09-27-2021, 01:00 PM)enigma Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-27-2021, 12:38 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]I liked Sexton, but his vision problems were really noticeable in the preseason games he did with Bucky Brooks. He just can't tell the players apart on the field and that makes for bad play by play.

That's a pretty astute point, never really attributed that to Sexton's inability to get the right player/number on a given play.

However, I just can't for the life of me listen to Frangie gargle on hotdog buns all game long. Thankfully, we had Gus on the main call but after looking at some clips of the game with Frangie on the call, I can't help but be reminded on how bad we have it.

It really is that bad with Frangie on the call. I think in retrospect that Talib wasn't as bad as I thought he was, he had some good insights, but Gus was really having to carry him through some segments. His vocabulary is a little bit too "street" and he needs to work on being both concise and complete with his drop ins. Too many times he sounded like a player doing an post game interview instead of a color man adding context to the play by play. When they kept trying to do to "Aqib Vision" or whatever it was called he wasn't very good with the pen and the producer wasn't getting the timing right. They would try to jump to that when the offense was in hurry up and it kept talking over the play on the field. I'm sure it's not an easy thing to do and with time he might be pretty good.

But Frangie's had several years and he still sucks as much today as his first game.

(09-27-2021, 01:10 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-26-2021, 08:50 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]The headline is deceiving, I was hoping we'd read about Gus vs Mumbles in an MMA cage type throw down in the press box.
Gus destroys FF in any kind of match in a ring or octagon.  Marblemouth is Boselli. 
I’d take Sexton and Robinson all day long.
Is unlistenable a word?  I don’t care, Frangie is unlistenable!

Poor Lageman having to sit between those two, lol.

On a similar note, is there any spokesman who better suits the product than Leon Searcy hocking chicken wings? He just sounds like a man who really, really, really loves food.
(09-27-2021, 01:14 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-27-2021, 01:00 PM)enigma Wrote: [ -> ]That's a pretty astute point, never really attributed that to Sexton's inability to get the right player/number on a given play.

It really is that bad with Frangie on the call. I think in retrospect that Talib wasn't as bad as I thought he was, he had some good insights, but Gus was really having to carry him through some segments. His vocabulary is a little bit too "street" and he needs to work on being both concise and complete with his drop ins. Too many times he sounded like a player doing an post game interview instead of a color man adding context to the play by play. When they kept trying to do to "Aqib Vision" or whatever it was called he wasn't very good with the pen and the producer wasn't getting the timing right. They would try to jump to that when the offense was in hurry up and it kept talking over the play on the field. I'm sure it's not an easy thing to do and with time he might be pretty good.

But Frangie's had several years and he still sucks as much today as his first game.

Absolutely. As the game progressed, I grew to appreciate Aqib's insight as a former defender when asked about a certain play or technicality. Gus was always going to carry him and quite frankly most everybody in the booth with him, but I had very tame expectations about Talib.

My only issue with Aqib's commentary skills is just the pitch of his voice combined with the strong lisp he has - other than that I'm very cool with him having a different commentating style that is more lax as long as someone like Gus is primary play-by-play voice. He definitely adds value to a call and it's appealing in a fresh way. But yeah, he'll get better in time just like Romo did in his early commentating days.

Frangie on the other hand is dreary.