Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Weird how the NFL works.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think most of us expected the team to play horrendus defense throughout the year whilst the offense continued to grow and get better and yet so far, our defense started horrible and has improved week to week whilst our offense started out meh, and has gotten worse. I'm fairly optimistic that our D will be solid next season with some upgrades in FA/Draft.. I'm not sure what we do to upgrade the Offense tho, I suppose we need a true #1 wr and a TE but our oline isn't nearly as bad as we thought and James Robinson showed today if he gets the touches he's gonna ball out. If Trevor becomes who we want him to be I could see us being serious contenders next year, but as of right now he isn't that guy. Tired of waiting for this team to be good but there are some things to like.

Also Agnew was such a good signing, he's electric.
I think too many people reading into the hype thought it meant that Lawrence was going to step in and dominate the league. Those that believed that have set themselves up for disappointment. That's not how this works at the most difficult and mentally challenging of positions to play in all of sports and college experience doesn't equal NFL experience. It's going to take some time. I have very little doubt that he will be that guy sooner rather than later though.
(09-27-2021, 07:37 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]I think too many people reading into the hype thought it meant that Lawrence was going to step in and dominate the league.  Those that believed that have set themselves up for disappointment.  That's not how this works at the most difficult and mentally challenging of positions to play in all of sports and college experience doesn't equal NFL experience.  It's going to take some time.  I have very little doubt that he will be that guy sooner rather than later though.

It's weird how the most bought into that hype about TLaw are the fracking Jaguars FO and coaches who didn't get more personnel to help him or create game plans to protect him. Instead we throw him out there without a good Tight End, WRs who are just average, and refusal to run the ball. It's absolutely weird. Or dumb. I'd say the latter.
(09-27-2021, 07:50 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-27-2021, 07:37 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]I think too many people reading into the hype thought it meant that Lawrence was going to step in and dominate the league.  Those that believed that have set themselves up for disappointment.  That's not how this works at the most difficult and mentally challenging of positions to play in all of sports and college experience doesn't equal NFL experience.  It's going to take some time.  I have very little doubt that he will be that guy sooner rather than later though.

It's weird how the most bought into that hype about TLaw are the fracking Jaguars FO and coaches who didn't get more personnel to help him or create game plans to protect him. Instead we throw him out there without a good Tight End, WRs who are just average, and refusal to run the ball. It's absolutely weird. Or dumb. I'd say the latter.

I wonder how much of it is an affliction of overcoaching. "They figure we'll lean on the run early to keep his load light, so let's have him throw 50 times" "They expect run on first down, so let's go for the home run ball"

Good teams know their strength, run those plays, and dare you to stop them.
I think we need to really not overrate this one game. The Cardinals looked as lethargic traveling across the country as we typically do when we go out west, and they still put up 24 points and Kyler completed 80% of his passes while they sleepwalked through the game. Let's give it a few more weeks before we start declaring the defense that got carved up like a Turkey by Tyrod and Teddy good please.

I was under the impression Lawrence was extremely overrated, I tried to buy into the hype once we drafted him tho for sure.
(09-27-2021, 10:12 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]I think we need to really not overrate this one game. The Cardinals looked as lethargic traveling across the country as we typically do when we go out west, and they still put up 24 points and Kyler completed 80% of his passes while they sleepwalked through the game. Let's give it a few more weeks before we start declaring the defense that got carved up like a Turkey by Tyrod and Teddy good please.

Very true. Their head coach had zero respect for this team. A 68 years field goal attempt, going for 4th downs, yeah he seemed really worried about the game. 

That said you clean up the players adding to red zone interceptions and we have a different game. I don't know make some extra points as well.

We didn't have much of a pass rush either but some of that is having to deal with an athletic QB.
(09-27-2021, 11:58 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-27-2021, 10:12 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]I think we need to really not overrate this one game. The Cardinals looked as lethargic traveling across the country as we typically do when we go out west, and they still put up 24 points and Kyler completed 80% of his passes while they sleepwalked through the game. Let's give it a few more weeks before we start declaring the defense that got carved up like a Turkey by Tyrod and Teddy good please.

Very true. Their head coach had zero respect for this team. A 68 years field goal attempt, going for 4th downs, yeah he seemed really worried about the game. 

That said you clean up the players adding to red zone interceptions and we have a different game. I don't know make some extra points as well.

We didn't have much of a pass rush either but some of that is having to deal with an athletic QB.

We don't have a pass rush because we really only have one pass rusher. And damn, a kick that doesn't come down until 2089? No wonder it was short!