Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: If ths isn't a conflict of interest, I don't know what is........
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Obama-Appointed Federal Judge Caught Presiding Over Stunning Number of Cases in Which He Had Financial Interests

A federal district court judge in Texas who was appointed by former President Barack Obama has repeatedly violated ethics standards, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal.

https://www.westernjournal.com/obama-app...CTuCs4fp8I
"The Journal found judges appointed by both Democratic and Republican presidents — from Lyndon Johnson to Donald Trump — engaged in unethical self-dealing."
I read the article, and, to be fair, most of those judges were in situations where they didn't even realize they had a conflict, and in most cases, the amount they might have profited was very minimal. The problem comes from owning stocks. A judge might have a few thousand dollars in a certain company, and then has a case that in some way affects that company, and he doesn't even realize it.

It's careless, and it shouldn't happen, but It's easily fixed if the judges would put their stock investments into index funds or mutual funds, which would be exempt from the conflict rules.