Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Dave Caldwell's damage is still being felt!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Most people would say that building through the draft is the proper way to long term success. (Rams would disagree)  The key point is the GM has to hit on these draft pick.  The simple fact is the core players of any team are mostly made of first round talent.  Dave Caldwell failed on such an epic scale you would think he was trying to destroy the team.  Looking at this list from 2013-2020 you will see the level of failure he lead this team too.   Despite picking in the top 10 or even top 5 most years he just picked the wrong players.  The one he hit on in Ramsey he alienated from the team.  The Jury is still out on Josh Allen because he stays invisible most games these days.   The defense needs a complete overhaul with the offense not far behind.  This is all the fault of Dave Caldwell and Shad Khan for allowing him that long to ruin this team.    This team is bottom of the barrel talent and probably looking at another 2+ year overhaul.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ja...raft_picks
We could have kept some of those players we sold in the fire sale but then no Lawrence. It's a tricky situation. Jags lost a lot of good players for this rebuild. The other hypothetical is that we could have hit on one of those qbs in the draft and kept the team we had in 2017 somewhat intact. This new regime is going to be drafting for speed
He's gone bro. Can't fire home twice.
You create a new topic every single day you must be bored
(10-04-2021, 10:10 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]Most people would say that building through the draft is the proper way to long term success. (Rams would disagree)  The key point is the GM has to hit on these draft pick.  The simple fact is the core players of any team are mostly made of first round talent.  Dave Caldwell failed on such an epic scale you would think he was trying to destroy the team.  Looking at this list from 2013-2020 you will see the level of failure he lead this team too.   Despite picking in the top 10 or even top 5 most years he just picked the wrong players.  The one he hit on in Ramsey he alienated from the team.  The Jury is still out on Josh Allen because he stays invisible most games these days.   The defense needs a complete overhaul with the offense not far behind.  This is all the fault of Dave Caldwell and Shad Khan for allowing him that long to ruin this team.    This team is bottom of the barrel talent and probably looking at another 2+ year overhaul.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ja...raft_picks

Isn't there already a thread in the depths of this board that already beat this topic to death?

Sorry, there's probably 10 or 12 threads.
(10-05-2021, 06:55 AM)leopold332002 Wrote: [ -> ]You create a new topic every single day you must be bored

You think he's bored, go look at Drifter and Ronster in the Political Section
(10-05-2021, 10:47 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-05-2021, 06:55 AM)leopold332002 Wrote: [ -> ]You create a new topic every single day you must be bored

Avert ur eyes lads, it's not decent.
(10-05-2021, 10:47 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]

There is not enough currency in this world to make me.
Another thread that's living in the past. SMDH.

NH3...

You took the time to read it and respond. Who is bored?
Bit unfair to say the damage of Caldwell is still being felt when every good player he drafted left the team because of Coughlin lol
(10-04-2021, 10:30 PM)Jag88 Wrote: [ -> ]We could have kept some of those players we sold in the fire sale but then no Lawrence. It's a tricky situation. Jags lost a lot of good players for this rebuild. The other hypothetical is that we could have hit on one of those qbs in the draft and kept the team we had in 2017 somewhat intact. This new regime is going to be drafting for speed

My buddy was screaming for D. Watson in 2017, I wanted Mahomes in the second (I had no idea he was going to go in the first, let alone be that good) but we took Fournette and kept Blake..

Can you imagine where we'd be right now if we had Mahomes in 2017. That was a superbowl win 10000% hands down without question lol.
(10-09-2021, 05:36 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-04-2021, 10:30 PM)Jag88 Wrote: [ -> ]We could have kept some of those players we sold in the fire sale but then no Lawrence. It's a tricky situation. Jags lost a lot of good players for this rebuild. The other hypothetical is that we could have hit on one of those qbs in the draft and kept the team we had in 2017 somewhat intact. This new regime is going to be drafting for speed

My buddy was screaming for D. Watson in 2017, I wanted Mahomes in the second (I had no idea he was going to go in the first, let alone be that good) but we took Fournette and kept Blake..

Can you imagine where we'd be right now if we had Mahomes in 2017. That was a superbowl win 10000% hands down without question lol.

If we let go all of the players we let go since then?

We'd still be a middle of the pack-back of the pack team.

First off, Reid didn't start Mahomes until the end of his rookie year.  Reid is a much better developer of QBs than anyone employed by the Jaguars, so we couldn't count on Mahomes being the player he became.  Secondly, Mahomes went to a team that believes in actually accumulating talent.  The Jaguars clearly don't.  3rd, you'd also have to factor in the lack of a running game.  If we took Mahomes 4th overall in 2017, we'd miss out on Fournette.  Whether Fournette was truly worth being taken overall is irrelevant.  The fact is, Fournette played a huge role in our wins over Pittsburgh.  Without the same balance, we become easier to defend.  Furthermore, we wouldn't have the same personnel Mahomes has had around him in KC.  This team has been perpetually unable to draft a quality TE since our first draft in 1995, so Kelce would be out as a target.  With TC as GM, maybe he doesn't take a chance on Tyreek Hill as a WR. 

There is a similar dynamic at work with Watson.

Watson played well as a rookie, but he had the  benefit of Hopkins to throw to, and a defense led by a still in his prime JJ Watt.  When Houston saw the purge of their surrounding talent over the years, even with Watson they finished 4-12.  Faced with a similar roster purge, Watson may easily have had the same off field issues for us that he is having with Houston.  He likely would have gotten sick of the mismanagement and demanded a trade.  Furthermore, there was nothing stopping him from doing the same thing with the massage therapy he did in Houston.

Bottom line is we'd need a complete franchise-roster, coaching and ownership-to win consistently in this league.  We need a complete franchise to win championships in this league.  We haven't had any of this, especially in recent years, which is why we find ourselves on the precipice of a 30 game losing streak.
What's done is done. those early years in his tenure were rather weak drafts at the top. Granted I wouldn't have taken Bortles over Mack or Watkins; but I probably would have taken Joeckel at #2 (or Ansah I liked him). Definitely would've taken Leonard Williams over Fowler at #3 in 2015. 2016 I would've done the same: Ramsey, Jack, Ngakoue etc. Probably wouldn't have gone RB in 2017, would've gone Lamar Jackson over Taven Bryan in 2018. Josh Allen in 2019 no brainer. And then 2020 I wanted an OT but was OK with Henderson, Chaisson was a reach given how raw he was but idk who I would've taken instead bc all the "Justin Jefferson" comments are with the benefit of hindsight.

I just hate the idea of GM's thinking they're the smartest guy in the room and know more than everyone else. Gene Smith with "School of Mines" and a Punter in the 3rd round.
He’s gone he can’t hurt you
It’s always about the QB. I hope he’s managed right. And I hope they get him a defense and a TE.
He's gone.  No sense crying over spilled milk.  

Although he left a 1-15 team, Caldwell also left us with the opportunity to draft Trevor Lawrence, extra draft picks (including in the first and second round) and more space under the salary cap than any team in the entire NFL.  Our concern should be the lack of significant progress we've made since he's left.  Those people are still here.
(10-05-2021, 01:26 PM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-05-2021, 10:47 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]You think he's bored, go look at Drifter and Ronster in the Political Section

There is not enough currency in this world to make me.

go on, there's candy.