Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Impressions From the Tacks Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
1.  I hereby advocate for the creation of a new stat:  Referee Assisted TD (RAT).  The need for such a stat was made obvious today, as the tacks first two TDs were complete fictions created by the officials.  First, there is no conceivably honest, legitimate way that was a fumble.  It's questionable whether it was even a completion.  There is certainly no [BLEEP] way he could have been construed to have made a football move sufficient for a fumble to have been ruled on that play.  Even Gene Steratore, the CBS replay guru, said as much.  In light of the Myles Jack wasn't down play in the AFC Championship a few years back, it's even more infuriating.  The Tacks' 2nd TD was made possible by a completely fabricated pass interference call against Claybrooks on a 3rd down stop.  The only person who saw P.I. on the play was the official who threw the flag.  The announcers didn't see it.  I didn't see it.  The fans in the stadium didn't see it.  Even the tack WR didn't push for the flag.  Considering the officials did NOT throw a P.I. flag in the end zone when the tack defender had clear contact with Arnold, I openly question their impartiality.  Spare me the indignation over that line.  I picked the tacks to win and they are the better team.  But that was far from an honestly officiated game.  The tacks are hard enough to beat without blatantly biased officiating.

2.  Here we are five games into the season, and we still don't have a made FG.  Our kicker of the week, Matt Wright, left four points on the field by missing an extra point and a FG that hit the cross bar on a kick >50 yards.  What did Jaguars fans do to deserve this?!?

3.  For the second week in a row, we have suffered a serious injury to the interior of the OL, this time to Brandon Linder.  Many of us were pushing for a heavy offseason/draft emphasis on the offensive line.  I wonder how much more the line can endure before Trevor Lawrence starts feeling the adverse impacts.  Get well soon, Linder.

4.  Typically, I am not a bash the playcalling guy.  But in my 44 years of football fandom, I've not seen an offensive coordinator as absolutely clueless and addled in the red zone/goal line as Darrell Bevell.  As egregious as that fateful play call in the Super bowl was when he got away from Beast mode against New England, you figure it was the Super Bowl and the pivotal moments.  I could see him maybe getting caught up in the moment.  But it seems he learned nothing from that failure.  His goal line ineptitude has plagued us the past two weeks.  It certainly cost us the Bengals game, and precluded the possibility of us rallying to beat the tacks.

5.     I have to give kudos to James Robinson, who had a superb game today.  Too bad his effort was wasted between egregious officiating, pass defense and goal line play calling.

6.  As bad as the pass defense was, and even though the stats showed Derrick henry had over 100 yards, I thought the run defense held up well against Derrick Henry.  There were several times he was stuffed for no gain or minus yardage, and they stopped him from getting huge runs.

7.     Rookie Watch:

A.  Trevor Lawrence-Showed more signs of progress interspersed with accuracy issues.  I thought there were times his pocket presence was shaky, and other times he was precluded from utilizing his pocket presence due to some pocket collapse.

B.  Travis Etienne-DNP. 

C.  Tyson Campbell-DNP

D.  Walker Little-Active but DNP that I saw.

E.  Andre Cisco-DNP that I saw

F.  Jay Tufele-actually had a Jay Tufele sighting this week, but did not see him make any plays.

G.  Jordan Smith-Did not see him active

H.  Luke Farrell, active this week.  Saw him make a catch.

8.     This may have been the best game of K'Lavon Chaisson's career.  He actually had impact.  Hopefully he can improve.

9.    The 58 yard Laviska Shenault catch and run is, at the moment, the offensive play of the year.  He showed determination and not being tackled, good balance, strength, and an excellent stiff arm.

10.  Bottom line:  Considering the salacious, almost Jerrry Springer-esque dysfunction surrounding the coach this week, I thought the team showed some fight.  There weren't a whole lot of stupid penalties or signs of quit.  There were signs, despite the alarmist reports from some media talking heads, that meyer has NOT lost the team.  Despite this, the pass defense continues to be atrocious. We will need to find a way to get better play out of the interior OL and get more play from the receivers.  The defense must step up and make some more plays.  This losing has gotten way past old, and the modest signs of improvement are not nearly enough to overcome the indignities of losing 20 straight and a coach whose activities earn him more mentions in the gossip columns than the sports section.

P.S.  Screw the tacks!
The dire Meyer tire fire hire backfire quagmire continues.
You can throw in the call where the refs took away TLaw’s TD run. To overturn the call on the field with the video evidence that everyone saw was an absolute abomination.
(10-10-2021, 05:24 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote: [ -> ]You can throw in the call where the refs took away TLaw’s TD run. To overturn the call on the field with the video evidence that everyone saw was an absolute abomination.

I disagreed with that call too, but at least it was questionable.  There is a plausible reason why the call went the way it did. 

But with that P.I. on Claybrooks and that first fumble, there was no rational basis for the rulings in eithre instance.
I don't like that Trevor still (because he is been doing it for a while) doesn't set his feet right to throw sometimes. He is doing it less now though but I don't think he is being coached properly.
(10-10-2021, 05:30 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]I don't like that Trevor still (because he is been doing it for a while) doesn't set his feet right to throw sometimes. He is doing it less now though but I don't think he is being coached properly.

I think in some instances pressure plays a role, and in some cases he is off.   But I am inclined to agree with you on the coaching.  I question the quality of the coaching he is receiving.
(10-10-2021, 05:10 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]1.  I hereby advocate for the creation of a new stat:  Referee Assisted TD (RAT).  The need for such a stat was made obvious today, as the tacks first two TDs were complete fictions created by the officials.  First, there is no conceivably honest, legitimate way that was a fumble.  It's questionable whether it was even a completion.  There is certainly no [BLEEP] way he could have been construed to have made a football move sufficient for a fumble to have been ruled on that play.  Even Gene Steratore, the CBS replay guru, said as much.  In light of the Myles Jack wasn't down play in the AFC Championship a few years back, it's even more infuriating.  The Tacks' 2nd TD was made possible by a completely fabricated pass interference call against Claybrooks on a 3rd down stop.  The only person who saw P.I. on the play was the official who threw the flag.  The announcers didn't see it.  I didn't see it.  The fans in the stadium didn't see it.  Even the tack WR didn't push for the flag.  Considering the officials did NOT throw a P.I. flag in the end zone when the tack defender had clear contact with Arnold, I openly question their impartiality.  Spare me the indignation over that line.  I picked the tacks to win and they are the better team.  But that was far from an honestly officiated game.  The tacks are hard enough to beat without blatantly biased officiating.

2.  Here we are five games into the season, and we still don't have a made FG.  Our kicker of the week, Matt Wright, left four points on the field by missing an extra point and a FG that hit the cross bar on a kick >50 yards.  What did Jaguars fans do to deserve this?!?

3.  For the second week in a row, we have suffered a serious injury to the interior of the OL, this time to Brandon Linder.  Many of us were pushing for a heavy offseason/draft emphasis on the offensive line.  I wonder how much more the line can endure before Trevor Lawrence starts feeling the adverse impacts.  Get well soon, Linder.

4.  Typically, I am not a bash the playcalling guy.  But in my 44 years of football fandom, I've not seen an offensive coordinator as absolutely clueless and addled in the red zone/goal line as Darrell Bevell.  As egregious as that fateful play call in the Super bowl was when he got away from Beast mode against New England, you figure it was the Super Bowl and the pivotal moments.  I could see him maybe getting caught up in the moment.  But it seems he learned nothing from that failure.  His goal line ineptitude has plagued us the past two weeks.  It certainly cost us the Bengals game, and precluded the possibility of us rallying to beat the tacks.

5.     I have to give kudos to James Robinson, who had a superb game today.  Too bad his effort was wasted between egregious officiating, pass defense and goal line play calling.

6.  As bad as the pass defense was, and even though the stats showed Derrick henry had over 100 yards, I thought the run defense held up well against Derrick Henry.  There were several times he was stuffed for no gain or minus yardage, and they stopped him from getting huge runs.

7.     Rookie Watch:

A.  Trevor Lawrence-Showed more signs of progress interspersed with accuracy issues.  I thought there were times his pocket presence was shaky, and other times he was precluded from utilizing his pocket presence due to some pocket collapse.

B.  Travis Etienne-DNP. 

C.  Tyson Campbell-DNP

D.  Walker Little-Active but DNP that I saw.

E.  Andre Cisco-DNP that I saw

F.  Jay Tufele-actually had a Jay Tufele sighting this week, but did not see him make any plays.

G.  Jordan Smith-Did not see him active

H.  Luke Farrell, active this week.  Saw him make a catch.

8.     This may have been the best game of K'Lavon Chaisson's career.  He actually had impact.  Hopefully he can improve.

9.    The 58 yard Laviska Shenault catch and run is, at the moment, the offensive play of the year.  He showed determination and not being tackled, good balance, strength, and an excellent stiff arm.

10.  Bottom line:  Considering the salacious, almost Jerrry Springer-esque dysfunction surrounding the coach this week, I thought the team showed some fight.  There weren't a whole lot of stupid penalties or signs of quit.  There were signs, despite the alarmist reports from some media talking heads, that meyer has NOT lost the team.  Despite this, the pass defense continues to be atrocious. We will need to find a way to get better play out of the interior OL and get more play from the receivers.  The defense must step up and make some more plays.  This losing has gotten way past old, and the modest signs of improvement are not nearly enough to overcome the indignities of losing 20 straight and a coach whose activities earn him more mentions in the gossip columns than the sports section.

P.S.  Screw the tacks!

Indeed another rough day Bullseye 

1- The calls weren't the reason we lost but they certainly swung some momentum. The old saying is these calls even themselves out over the course of a season in which case we a due a butt load. No idea how they called the Arnold catch a fumble and the no call PI was just a pure choke job by the zebra. Add a few plays later the Lawrence TD overturned on a not clear and obvious replay and one play later Linder is down and its a turnover on downs. Turned a 5pt game back to a 13pt game and killed any chance we had. Just one of those days where whatever calls the refs made, they went the T*tans way

2- Its another embarrassing stat. Not 1 made FG through 6 games. You need to keep adding to that scoreboard and we aren't good enough to just score TD'S. They need to make a decision with Lambo, however painful it may be but the fact this has rumbled on for 6 weeks is a bad look for the coaching staff

3- Twitter is saying apparently Linders injury isnt as serious as first thought so fingers crossed.

4- Bevell seems to just outsmart himself on the 1yd line. Like everyone expects me to run so ill pass! The reason everyone expects a run is that its one stinking yard. You should get that just falling forwards. We have a 6'6 QB, just get him to reach over like Brees would do. 

5- Robinson was fantastic today, great run to get us that early TD after the fumble TD. Sadly seemed to move away while the game was close and not sure why he wasnt in for the 4th and 1

6- Pass D still looks a real worry and we were getting killed on the drag routes. We did ok against Henry, even with his stat line but the lack of pass rush and blown coverages are a toxic cocktail 

9- That run from Viska was great. His refusal to go down and fight for yards was brilliant but sadly one play. We need more of that effort from all over.

You can see the team trying and fighting but the mental errors cost us big and we beat ourselves with missed kicks and poor execution way too much still. Big game next Sunday against Miami and a big chance to snap this streak but this fanbase is worn down. 20 L's in a row is brutal and we need a W, cant keep focusing on progress.
Missed part of the first half due to work; glad i didn't see the missed kicks or the terrible calls on the fumble etc.

It just feels obvious seeing the way games are officiated .... The NFL WANTS the Jags to break that consecutive loss record.

Back in 2017 when we played the Browns (who went winless 0-16 that season) .... there was not a penalty called against them the entire day, and seemingly any soft call they could give them against us was given, they negated a few turnovers but there were a few that they really couldn't overturn and luckily we escaped that game with a win. I honestly believe that the officiating of that game was designed to prevent the Browns from going winless, and also destroy the Jags chances at making the playoffs/winning the division because they don't want a small market team in the showcase that is the playoffs. It just stings more knowing that later that season in the AFCCG the Patriots got all those ticky tacky calls to flip the field and hand them points; all while not having a penalty called against them on offense or defense (the first time that has happened in any playoff game during the superbowl era; there was a single hold called against the Pats that day on a kick return) and of course the obligatory #MJWD ... the whistle that came as he had picked up the ball and got 10 yards downfield was way too late, why not blow that before he even gets up with the ball???? I've yet to hear an explanation from the referee who blew the whistle why we were denied a superbowl appearance. I'm very curious to see who the ref that did that was.

I just want to see Darell Bevell have his playcalling duties revoked once we get across the 20 yard line. the 4th and goal from the 1 in back to back weeks has cost us. And the refusal to use James Robinson there screams incompetence. There is absolutely no reason Carlos Hyde should be getting snaps, in 2 minute, in goalline, in short yardage, in pass blocking. There is nothing that he brings to the table and i'm sick of seeing him play as if it's a pop warner game where the snaps have to be shared across every kid.
I didnt think the Meyer fiasco was going to end up being a big deal but you did hear some rumors from credible people in the media that he might be losing the players. And that had me worried. But based on today's game, there was none of that. Made a comment in the Urban fiasco thread that these are grown men playing for money. They want a guy that will help them win and help them play better in order to earn a bigger contract. If the team continues to lose, then Urban will lose the team. But if they can turn things around the fiasco will be completely forgotten.

This is the first game this season where I didnt think they played significantly better than the previous game. But I don't think they took a step back either which is important. I think this team is better than the record. But have played a tough stretch of games and played well in all three. I am a little worried they are peaking and this is the best they can be due to an overall lack of talent. But I do think Lawrence can continue to improve and I do think the coaches could do better. And if both of those things happen then I think things can (and should) continue to get better.

Lawrence continues to impress and get better. However he did miss a couple throws near the goaline before the bogus touchdown reversal. We shouldnt have even given the refs the opportunity to screw us. There were a couple missed touchdown throws but overall still continue to be impressed by what I'm see. I thought not having Chark and any deep threat really reared it's ugly head today. So many times he is having to complete throws in tight coverage, rarely getting guys running open.

Nothing to say about the refs that hasnt already been said. Just God awful. At a minimum a two touchdown swing. And we just aren't good enough yet to overcome bad officiating. Most teams probably aren't good enough to overcome two TD impact but we definitely aren't. We need to play well and we need the ball to bounce our direction so to speak.

I'm personally not ready to give up on Meyer. I don't believe a guy that was so successful in college winning in different fashions (out scheming more talented teams when at Utah and running elite programs at UF and Ohio St) has all of a sudden forgotten how to coach. But there are some things going on that are real head scratchers. And I don't have a problem with Meyer going through the learning curve of how to win in the NFL. But I do have a problem when the team makes the same mistakes. The goaline situation at Cincy very likely cost us that game. And now we have the same breakdown once again. Bad playcalling. And this time not having your best RB on the field. They had talked earlier in the year about making sure Robinson got the ball but here we are in a critical moment of the game and you've got your second tier back taking the pivotal handoff. Why are we still making that same mistake? Another major disconnect is Shenault. Didn't they just talk about making sure Shenault gets enough touches each game? I think that was only a week or two ago they said that. And now here we are and he barely got any touches. And look what he did when he finally got the ball in his hand. I'm just not sure enough of the issues they talk about end up getting resolved. That has me concerned. I'm still willing to chalk this up to them learning how to find a good rhythm of in game coaching. And I'm willing to give the coaches the credit of getting this team playing fairly well and being very competitive against better and more talented teams. But they still need to be better.

Overall I'm more disappointed today than I was after the Cardinals and Bengals games. If the refs hadnt screwed us out of that second Lawrence touchdown run, who knows how that game ends. But overall just not good enough. Defense continues to get shredded. No playmakers and no turnovers. Unless that changes, I just don't see a lot of wins on the schedule.
Again my biggest takeaway is why this coaching staff just can't get it... Good things happen when you give Robinson the ball. He was killing them all day 8.3ypc yet they continue to go away from him. Give the man the damn ball.
https://twitter.com/E_Dilla/status/1447318102312640514
He had over 100 yards in the 1st half alone.
Officiating against us was god awful today. Game changing calls.
(10-10-2021, 06:08 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]Again my biggest takeaway is why this coaching staff just can't get it... Good things happen when you give Robinson the ball. He was killing them all day 8.3ypc yet they continue to go away from him. Give the man the damn ball.

I know, it makes zero sense.
Thanks Bullseye. We played better than what was on the scoreboard but this team could break the winless streak and it sucks. I can't believe how bad key positions on the field are for a team picking so high year after year.

The owner sucks as a sports guy. Props for being a hell of a businessman but dang he can't do squat on the football field or soccer field. Grateful the team hasn't moved at least.

Hat tip to Duuuvvvaall. The crowd came off loud and proud on the TV here in Dallas.
(10-10-2021, 06:10 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-10-2021, 06:08 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]Again my biggest takeaway is why this coaching staff just can't get it... Good things happen when you give Robinson the ball. He was killing them all day 8.3ypc yet they continue to go away from him. Give the man the damn ball.

I know, it makes zero sense.

Only 5 total touches the entire 2nd half. It's flat out ridiculous this happens every week.
I also believe Robinson should have been in there on that play. But you could have had Iron Man in there and he would have been tackled for a loss. The Titans picked the gap and loaded six players on it. Go to the video and count for yourself. They moved two into it as TL made the count. When the ball is snapped, the Titans have six players lined up off the right side, outnumbering the Jax line 2:1. 93 blew untouched right through the target gap and forced Hyde to change direction before he even got the hand off. Hyde tries to bounce outside and one of the other six, #35, is standing also untouched and ready to swallow him up.

The play should have been changed by TLaw during the count to try the other side of the line, or better, a time out called to reset. That was the actual mistake.
(10-10-2021, 06:06 PM)rfc17 Wrote: [ -> ]I didnt think the Meyer fiasco was going to end up being a big deal but you did hear some rumors from credible people in the media that he might be losing the players.  And that had me worried.  But based on today's game, there was none of that.  Made a comment in the Urban fiasco thread that these are grown men playing for money. They want a guy that will help them win and help them play better in order to earn a bigger contract.  If the team continues to lose, then Urban will lose the team.  But if they can turn things around the fiasco will be completely forgotten.

This is the first game this season where I didnt think they played significantly better than the previous game.  But I don't think they took a step back either which is important.  I think this team is better than the record.  But have played a tough stretch of games and played well in all three.  I am a little worried they are peaking and this is the best they can be due to an overall lack of talent.  But I do think Lawrence can continue to improve and I do think the coaches could do better.  And if both of those things happen then I think things can (and should) continue to get better.

Lawrence continues to impress and get better.  However he did miss a couple throws near the goaline before the bogus touchdown reversal.  We shouldnt have even given the refs the opportunity to screw us.  There were a couple missed touchdown throws but overall still continue to be impressed by what I'm see.  I thought not having Chark and any deep threat really reared it's ugly head today.  So many times he is having to complete throws in tight coverage, rarely getting guys running open. 

Nothing to say about the refs that hasnt already been said.  Just God awful.  At a minimum a two touchdown swing.  And we just aren't good enough yet to overcome bad officiating.  Most teams probably aren't good enough to overcome two TD impact but we definitely aren't.  We need to play well and we need the ball to bounce our direction so to speak.

I'm personally not ready to give up on Meyer.  I don't believe a guy that was so successful in college winning in different fashions (out scheming more talented teams when at Utah and running elite programs at UF and Ohio St) has all of a sudden forgotten how to coach.  But there are some things going on that are real head scratchers.  And I don't have a problem with Meyer going through the learning curve of how to win in the NFL.  But I do have a problem when the team makes the same mistakes.  The goaline situation at Cincy very likely cost us that game.  And now we have the same breakdown once again.  Bad playcalling.  And this time not having your best RB on the field.  They had talked earlier in the year about making sure Robinson got the ball but here we are in a critical moment of the game and you've got your second tier back taking the pivotal handoff.  Why are we still making that same mistake?  Another major disconnect is Shenault.  Didn't they just talk about making sure Shenault gets enough touches each game?  I think that was only a week or two ago they said that.  And now here we are and he barely got any touches.  And look what he did when he finally got the ball in his hand.  I'm just not sure enough of the issues they talk about end up getting resolved.  That has me concerned.  I'm still willing to chalk this up to them learning how to find a good rhythm of in game coaching.  And I'm willing to give the coaches the credit of getting this team playing fairly well and being very competitive against better and more talented teams.  But they still need to be better.

Overall I'm more disappointed today than I was after the Cardinals and Bengals games.  If the refs hadnt screwed us out of that second Lawrence touchdown run, who knows how that game ends.  But overall just not good enough.  Defense continues to get shredded.  No playmakers and no turnovers.  Unless that changes, I just don't see a lot of wins on the schedule.

We are in complete lockstep agreement in the first three paragraphs.

Actually the first four.  But I need to elaborate on the poor officiating.

People always say the calls balance out over the course of a season.  People also say we can't expect to get the calls when we're bad.  But if the refs are using "presumptions of worthiness" to determine who gets the calls or not, if their calls serve to reinforce already held biases, how do the calls ever balance out?  There's no point in having objective rules when subjective bias determines the enforcement of those rules.  Refs should not be in the business of evaluating the talent of teams.  Just enforce the rules equally.  I'm actually wondering how much gambling is playing into/influencing these calls.

I have no idea why Hyde was in the game down at the goal line.  I have no idea why Shenault got so few targets.  Even the announcers were surprised at how neglected he was.
(10-10-2021, 06:30 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote: [ -> ]I also believe Robinson should have been in there on that play.  But you could have had Iron Man in there and he would have been tackled for a loss.  The Titans picked the gap and loaded six players on it.  Go to the video and count for yourself.  They moved two into it as TL made the count.  When the ball is snapped, the Titans have six players lined up off the right side, outnumbering the Jax line 2:1.  93  blew untouched right through the target gap and forced Hyde to change direction before he even got the hand off.  Hyde tries to bounce outside and one of the other six, #35, is standing also untouched and ready to swallow him up.

The play should have been changed by TLaw during the count to try the other side of the line, or better, a time out called to reset.  That was the actual mistake.
They mentioned on the broadcast he is not allowed to change plays. I think the tacks new that as well. Probably time out would have been appropriate.

Honestly not much more to talk about anymore. Have to hopeful the QB makes it through the season and grows as a pro. 

Outside of him, what did we get out of the draft? Future cuts for the next GM who wants his own guys?

Franchise is a disaster. A developing disaster but one none the less.
(10-10-2021, 06:35 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-10-2021, 06:30 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote: [ -> ]I also believe Robinson should have been in there on that play.  But you could have had Iron Man in there and he would have been tackled for a loss.  The Titans picked the gap and loaded six players on it.  Go to the video and count for yourself.  They moved two into it as TL made the count.  When the ball is snapped, the Titans have six players lined up off the right side, outnumbering the Jax line 2:1.  93  blew untouched right through the target gap and forced Hyde to change direction before he even got the hand off.  Hyde tries to bounce outside and one of the other six, #35, is standing also untouched and ready to swallow him up.

The play should have been changed by TLaw during the count to try the other side of the line, or better, a time out called to reset.  That was the actual mistake.
They mentioned on the broadcast he is not allowed to change plays. I think the tacks new that as well. Probably time out would have been appropriate.

Honestly not much more to talk about anymore. Have to hopeful the QB makes it through the season and grows as a pro. 

Outside of him, what did we get out of the draft? Future cuts for the next GM who wants his own guys?

Franchise is a disaster. A developing disaster but one none the less.

A continuing disaster, developing kind of insinuates that it isn't a disaster yet. It's been a disaster since halftime of the 2017 AFCCGame.
(10-10-2021, 06:21 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-10-2021, 06:10 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]I know, it makes zero sense.

Only 5 total touches the entire 2nd half. It's flat out ridiculous this happens every week.

When Jax goes two scores down there is only one way back: TLaw's arm.  As long as the defense is leaking we will see this week after week.  When TLaw improves then Robinson gets more run.
Pages: 1 2 3 4