Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Houston releases Whitney Mercilus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just read where the Texans are set to release OLB Whitney Mercilus. Given our complete lack of a pass rush, do we try and bring him in? I know his production has slipped, but he currently has 3 sacks and that's more than anyone on our team. I say if he will agree to a 1 year deal, why not? We can't get any worse.
I say yes. We could use help on defense. Any play maker would help
He would be a free agent, and he could sign anywhere. So the odds of us persuading him to come here are pretty low. He'll pick a contender.
He's over thirty, hasn't had double digit sacks since 2015 (which was his only time) and pretty much owes all of his sack stats to getting to play the Jaguars over the years. I doubt any competitive teams even want him, and the Jaguars shouldn't spend money on convincing him to come here, anyway.
(10-19-2021, 04:29 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]He would be a free agent, and he could sign anywhere.  So the odds of us persuading him to come here are pretty low.  He'll pick a contender.

True, but I was just wondering if we should make an effort to sign him?

(10-19-2021, 07:24 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]He's over thirty, hasn't had double digit sacks since 2015 (which was his only time) and pretty much owes all of his sack stats to getting to play the Jaguars over the years. I doubt any competitive teams even want him, and the Jaguars shouldn't spend money on convincing him to come here, anyway.

And with all that, he would still be our current sack leader. Our bar is so low right now, it's depressing.
(10-19-2021, 09:42 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-19-2021, 04:29 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]He would be a free agent, and he could sign anywhere.  So the odds of us persuading him to come here are pretty low.  He'll pick a contender.

True, but I was just wondering if we should make an effort to sign him?

(10-19-2021, 07:24 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]He's over thirty, hasn't had double digit sacks since 2015 (which was his only time) and pretty much owes all of his sack stats to getting to play the Jaguars over the years. I doubt any competitive teams even want him, and the Jaguars shouldn't spend money on convincing him to come here, anyway.

And with all that, he would still be our current sack leader. Our bar is so low right now, it's depressing.

It doesn't make the guy worth paying much. If he wants to come to Jax cheap just to have a shot at his old team I could see signing him, but I doubt that's what he wants.
(10-19-2021, 05:22 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-19-2021, 09:42 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]True, but I was just wondering if we should make an effort to sign him?

It doesn't make the guy worth paying much. If he wants to come to Jax cheap just to have a shot at his old team I could see signing him, but I doubt that's what he wants.

Nobody was suggesting that. He's not a high dollar player, just a little better than what we currently have, which is basically nothing.
(10-19-2021, 07:20 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-19-2021, 05:22 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]It doesn't make the guy worth paying much. If he wants to come to Jax cheap just to have a shot at his old team I could see signing him, but I doubt that's what he wants.

Nobody was suggesting that. He's not a high dollar player, just a little better than what we currently have, which is basically nothing.

I mean on a 1 year cheap deal I wouldn't be mad at it.

But maybe we just give Smoot more snaps over Chaisson see if that helps our pass rush.
(10-20-2021, 04:18 PM)RicoTx Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3243...ource-says

That makes sense. Good team pushing for a SB. Probably gonna get him cheap