Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: NIH Gives Out a Nearly $4 Million Grant to Fund a Psychedelic Mushroom Study
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
National Institutes of Health Gives Out a Nearly $4 Million Grant to Fund a Psychedelic Mushroom Study

The National Institutes of Health gave the Johns Hopkins health system nearly $4 million in grant money to study the effects of psychedelic mushrooms, according to a Monday announcement.

https://www.westernjournal.com/national-...r9qM7pyMV4
Wasn't this subject widely researched voluntarily by people in the 60's & 70's? Who needs a multi-million dollar study now? Just start a Facebook group and whoever is left alive during that period will share thier stories.
I did a ton of studies on this subject.. I really would like to study peyote once or twice.. bucket list thing..
(10-28-2021, 10:56 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]I did a ton of studies on this subject.. I really would like to study peyote once or twice.. bucket list thing..

I’ve dropped acid a number of times. Never tried mushrooms.
(10-28-2021, 10:59 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-28-2021, 10:56 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]I did a ton of studies on this subject.. I really would like to study peyote once or twice.. bucket list thing..

I’ve dropped acid a number of times. Never tried mushrooms.

did both ages ago, and can say that the natural option served me better. But in either case, my anxiety was simply amplified, so I'd end up curling up in a corner trying to hide from the world. Just one gave me a screaming backache the whole time, and the other didn't.

At this stage of life, if I get the house to myself for a few hours, that peace is more intoxicating than any substance I could consume.
Psilocybin studies for various applications have been very prevalent world wide by both private sector and state funded labs for a number of years now.

I would be very surprised if it isn't incorporated into a readily available prescription medication during my lifetime.
(10-28-2021, 02:21 PM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-28-2021, 10:59 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]I’ve dropped acid a number of times. Never tried mushrooms.

did both ages ago, and can say that the natural option served me better. But in either case, my anxiety was simply amplified, so I'd end up curling up in a corner trying to hide from the world. Just one gave me a screaming backache the whole time, and the other didn't.

At this stage of life, if I get the house to myself for a few hours, that peace is more intoxicating than any substance I could consume.

That's 180 out from my experience of intense mirth. Every single time. But at that age I had no idea what anxiety was. The world was my oyster. 

I couldn't do it now. Too many dark corners in the attic.

(10-28-2021, 03:28 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Psilocybin studies for various applications have been very prevalent world wide by both private sector and state funded labs for a number of years now.

I would be very surprised if it isn't incorporated into a readily available prescription medication during my lifetime.

My dad was a participant in an LSD study with the VA back in the 50s or 60s. He did it one time and then withdrew from the study. It was too much for him.
Done both. Never hallucinated - that's an invention of movies and TV shows. Never met anyone that ever hallucinated either. Peyote is the one to go to for visions.

LSD causes euphoria for 6-10 hours. Just general happiness, giddiness and horniness lol.

Mushrooms last much shorter and the only thing I noticed was colors got brighter and more intense.
Now we know what’s wrong with you boys.

can y’all help me figure out what’s wrong with me now?
I smoked marijuana when I was a kid and did try a few other things, but never anything like acid or mushrooms.  I got away from all of that many years (decades) ago and don't understand why people put that stuff into their bodies.  Of course plenty of people might say the same thing about me since I do drink and enjoy a cigar every now and then.

I just like having my mind clear and waking up feeling good in the morning.  There is nothing like a fresh cup of coffee while watching deer and turkeys roam around in my back yard as the sun is coming up.
(10-28-2021, 06:59 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]I smoked marijuana when I was a kid and did try a few other things, but never anything like acid or mushrooms.  I got away from all of that many years (decades) ago and don't understand why people put that stuff into their bodies.  Of course plenty of people might say the same thing about me since I do drink and enjoy a cigar every now and then.

I just like having my mind clear and waking up feeling good in the morning.  There is nothing like a fresh cup of coffee while watching deer and turkeys roam around in my back yard as the sun is coming up.

…unless you’re waking up watching 10’ tall turkeys in a deer stand shooting your deer that’s just trying to get a venti caramel macchiato no whip from the local Starbucks. I see both sides. I’m with you though. drugs are bad, but I can think of worse things to wake up to.  Mainly Nancy pelosi.
I hallucinate like crazy on Rx sleeping pills and to a lesser extent on meds like trazadone that can be used for sleep. LSD and others would either jack me up big time or do nothing to me. I don't ever want to find out. As it is I can only take Xanax and Benadryl to help with the insomnia.
Hash was a hallucinogen for me. I smoked it once at an Aerosmith concert in Mobile. I saw the formulas for visible light coming out of the spots and getting absorbed by the molecular formula of my skin. Also felt the immense grandeur of the universe and a feeling of being at one with it. Oddly, I never wanted to do it again after that.

Quaaludes was also a hallucinogen for me, but that was some scary stuff. Watching the girl you're <<bleeping>> sinking down and disappearring thru the mattress while the brick walls are morphing all around you was reason enough to quit that.

That was a lost year, but an interesting one. I quit all drugs after that.
(10-28-2021, 04:01 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]Done both. Never hallucinated - that's an invention of movies and TV shows. Never met anyone that ever hallucinated either. Peyote is the one to go to for visions.

LSD causes euphoria for 6-10 hours. Just general happiness, giddiness and horniness lol.

Mushrooms last much shorter and the only thing I noticed was colors got brighter and more intense.

not necessarily hallucination, but vision got 'wiggly', probably a symptom of eyes struggling to find a focal point. Think mandelbrot fractals. Everything is right there, but there is constant movement. I can remember the first time I dosed I looked at a package of Q-tips (yay dorm life) and the heads were undulating around like a sea anemone.

Shrooms were always more mellow. Blotter always made me clench my jaw. Maybe the shorter duration was why I dug the natural stuff more.

I did both in my late teens/early twenties so I don't know if there was a next level of [BLEEP] to attain Big Grin

(10-28-2021, 05:22 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]Now we know what’s wrong with you boys.

@maybe you shoulda been cool like us@

never too late to start catchin' up!
(10-28-2021, 04:01 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]Done both. Never hallucinated - that's an invention of movies and TV shows. Never met anyone that ever hallucinated either. Peyote is the one to go to for visions.

Colors changing in brightness and color is the definition of hallucinating.  You're seeing things that don't really exist.  You want stronger hallucinations, take bigger doses.

I've done both, multiple times.  I tripped balls.  I watched a popcorn ceiling go to battle with the wall.  Obviously the ceiling won, it had the higher ground.

And they've found mushrooms to have the least negetive effects of all the mainstream drugs, both personally and socially.(WAY lower than alcohol.)

Oh to be a kid again.
(10-29-2021, 10:41 AM)Norman Mushari Wrote: [ -> ]

Colors changing in brightness and color is the definition of hallucinating.  You're seeing things that don't really exist.  You want stronger hallucinations, take bigger doses.

I've done both, multiple times.  I tripped balls.  I watched a popcorn ceiling go to battle with the wall.  Obviously the ceiling won, it had the higher ground.

And they've found mushrooms to have the least negetive effects of all the mainstream drugs, both personally and socially.(WAY lower than alcohol.)

Oh to be a kid again.

I mean I've taken a whole slab of acid paper.. not a tab. And nothing happened beyond being euphoric and giddy. Never saw anything at all, even with strobing lights and glow in the dark [BLEEP] all around. lol. Maybe it's just my brain.

Mushrooms made me fight a guy for revving his motorcycle too many times. It was mixed with alcohol though. I broke my hand on his helmet but still knocked him down and started kicking him. Oh the stupidity of youth.
Only did shrooms and cid a couple of times. I was more of a weed guy. Will still hit it on occasion, but very rarely. Hell, I have some in the garage that's so old and dry it might burst into flames if I try to light it. Also went through a really bad few years in my early 30s where I did waaaaay too much blow and a lot (not quite as much) of crank, meth, speed...whatever we're calling it nowadays. Part of it was just being on third shift so long and so many damn people had it/them. That was a loooong time ago. If I did that much now it would probably kill me. Hell, I'm half surprised it didn't kill me then. Haven't touched the [BLEEP] since.
It's a wonder most of us are still alive and (mostly) well adjusted adults. Lol.

I remember taking an Ambien and watching Bambi and Thumper do a musical number across my bedroom wall before I looked over the edge of my bed and discovered it was levitating over a black hole. Trazedone made me see everything like an old-fashioned cartoon. Better than seeing it like a Stephen King novel!
(10-29-2021, 09:01 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]It's a wonder most of us are still alive and (mostly) well adjusted adults. Lol.

I remember taking an Ambien and watching Bambi and Thumper do a musical number across my bedroom wall before I looked over the edge of my bed and discovered it was levitating over a black hole. Trazedone made me see everything like an old-fashioned cartoon. Better than seeing it like a Stephen King novel!

you just made half the posters here jealous.

This is probably what everyone was shooting for when they dipped their toes into the psychadelic waters and ultimately ended up feeling let down.
(10-28-2021, 05:22 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]Now we know what’s wrong with you boys.

You haven't done all this stuff maybe?
Pages: 1 2