Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Nearly 160 Ships Waiting Outside Los Angeles Ports to Unload Goods
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
All those McAwful ballots that just didn't get "found" in time. Shame.
I wonder if we can charter a boat out there after Christmas to show our kids why Santa's elfs couldn't make their gifts this year.
(11-08-2021, 09:04 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if we can charter a boat out there after Christmas to show our kids why Santa's elfs couldn't make their gifts this year.

Buy American this year.
Remember when people were freaking out about 20 ships?

There's so many things wrong with this situation. Just trucking alone is a huge part of this massive problems.

Good thing the Head of Transportation is helping his husband recover from that child birth. Wow!!!! Blaming someone who is mildly responsible for this is fun. I can see why you do it all the time.
Sounds like the problem is not enough trucks. Not enough drivers, because drivers are often not paid adequately. Sounds like it might be resolved over time if CA eases up on their regulations of trucks and trucking companies start paying drivers more. Unfortunately the second part means slightly higher costs for everyone.
(11-08-2021, 11:22 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like the problem is not enough trucks.  Not enough drivers, because drivers are often not paid adequately.  Sounds like it might be resolved over time if CA eases up on their regulations of trucks and trucking companies start paying drivers more.  Unfortunately the second part means slightly higher costs for everyone.

Define "more". Mike, give me a monetary value of what a trucker is worth. I am challenging you to provide detail to the typical liberal complaining with zero proposed solutions.
(11-08-2021, 11:25 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2021, 11:22 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like the problem is not enough trucks.  Not enough drivers, because drivers are often not paid adequately.  Sounds like it might be resolved over time if CA eases up on their regulations of trucks and trucking companies start paying drivers more.  Unfortunately the second part means slightly higher costs for everyone.

Define "more". Mike, give me a monetary value of what a trucker is worth. I am challenging you to provide detail to the typical liberal complaining with zero proposed solutions.

A trucker is worth what the market will bear.  We have a lot of demand right now and not a lot of supply.  Why look to me for any solution? Do you have any proposed solutions?
(11-08-2021, 11:37 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2021, 11:25 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Define "more". Mike, give me a monetary value of what a trucker is worth. I am challenging you to provide detail to the typical liberal complaining with zero proposed solutions.

A trucker is worth what the market will bear.  We have a lot of demand right now and not a lot of supply.  Why look to me for any solution? Do you have any proposed solutions?

So you don't have an answer. Same type of answer you get when you ask a liberal how they arrived at $15 as a living wage.

My wife worked as a dispatcher for a logistics company for 10 years. Truckers typically make as much as they are willing to work, unless they work for big companies, but then you have to factor retirement and medical benefits into their salary.
(11-08-2021, 11:44 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2021, 11:37 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]A trucker is worth what the market will bear.  We have a lot of demand right now and not a lot of supply.  Why look to me for any solution? Do you have any proposed solutions?

So you don't have an answer. Same type of answer you get when you ask a liberal how they arrived at $15 as a living wage.

My wife worked as a dispatcher for a logistics company for 10 years. Truckers typically make as much as they are willing to work, unless they work for big companies, but then you have to factor retirement and medical benefits into their salary.

$15 an hour is an arbitrary demand with no basis in microeconomics.
"There are not enough truckers, perhaps trucker wages need to increase" is neither arbitrary nor a demand.  It's just an observation, with a basis in microeconomics.

Also, your second paragraph shows you didn't read the article. These are not typical times.
Should today's 18 years olds drive big rigs? Regulations generally prohibit them from obtaining the required CDL. I'm not sure I want phone addicted teens driving rigs.
Embark coming.
(11-08-2021, 11:37 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2021, 11:25 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Define "more". Mike, give me a monetary value of what a trucker is worth. I am challenging you to provide detail to the typical liberal complaining with zero proposed solutions.

Remember when trucker's could form their own company and charge the rate they saw fit? Pepperidge Farm remembers. 

Folks like Norman tend to look past all of the policies that Dems make over the years while attacking conservatives who point the finger at the Dem in charge. Sure, it's an oversimplification of the situation, but they're right about who's causing it. Cali created regulations that completely shut down Owner-Operated trucks who could negotiate their own wage, then demanded that all trucks be newer than 2011, while also saying that by 2035, all trucks must be zero emissions. This means companies aren't going to be buying new trucks because they will want to be investing in trucks with zero emissions. That policy was always going to remove trucks from the road. Furthermore, Dems WANT trucks to be removed from the roads. Now add to that policies that have allowed people to collect checks from the government, and stay home from work. Policies that don't deem ports work as essential work. Policies that reduce the hours at major shipping ports. 

They are telling  you what they are doing, and you guys keep falling for the [BLEEP] because some site says "FACT-CHECK FALSE." It's not low wages. It's bad policies by democrats. And, even if Biden and Buttigieg aren't directly responsible, they are mindlessly supporting policy that is destructive.
(11-08-2021, 08:19 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2021, 11:37 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]A trucker is worth what the market will bear.  We have a lot of demand right now and not a lot of supply.  Why look to me for any solution? Do you have any proposed solutions?

Remember when trucker's could form their own company and charge the rate they saw fit? Pepperidge Farm remembers. 

Folks like Norman tend to look past all of the policies that Dems make over the years while attacking conservatives who point the finger at the Dem in charge. Sure, it's an oversimplification of the situation, but they're right about who's causing it. Cali created regulations that completely shut down Owner-Operated trucks who could negotiate their own wage, then demanded that all trucks be newer than 2011, while also saying that by 2035, all trucks must be zero emissions. This means companies aren't going to be buying new trucks because they will want to be investing in trucks with zero emissions. That policy was always going to remove trucks from the road. Furthermore, Dems WANT trucks to be removed from the roads. Now add to that policies that have allowed people to collect checks from the government, and stay home from work. Policies that don't deem ports work as essential work. Policies that reduce the hours at major shipping ports. 

They are telling  you what they are doing, and you guys keep falling for the [BLEEP] because some site says "FACT-CHECK FALSE." It's not low wages. It's bad policies by democrats. And, even if Biden and Buttigieg aren't directly responsible, they are mindlessly supporting policy that is destructive.

If California laws are the problem, Biden has no authority to overrule that unless he orders the military to drive the trucks.  States can enforce laws that are stricter than federal laws.
(11-08-2021, 09:04 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if we can charter a boat out there after Christmas to show our kids why Santa's elfs couldn't make their gifts this year.
You will need to line up on black Friday in your boats, locations of stock will be released at set time, and it's a free for all from there.
(11-08-2021, 08:58 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2021, 08:19 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]Remember when trucker's could form their own company and charge the rate they saw fit? Pepperidge Farm remembers. 

If California laws are the problem, Biden has no authority to overrule that unless he orders the military to drive the trucks.  States can enforce laws that are stricter than federal laws.
You do know that there are plenty of trucks and that isn't the issue right? Trucks older than 3 years can't go there anymore. O&O can't go there, so only large corps that can also afford new trucks can. You have trucks that can't get their loads because of all the cargo. The empties are stuck on chassis in yards and wherever they can store them because the port won't take them right now. The port off loading ships wasn't really a problem.

Biden could use interstate laws to suspend the states rules but didn't want to do that. They are now moving the cargo somewhere else but that doesn't fix anything as you still have to have chassis to move it and/or cranes to load/unload it so you can actually get the cargo on a truck.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk
(11-08-2021, 09:40 PM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2021, 08:58 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]If California laws are the problem, Biden has no authority to overrule that unless he orders the military to drive the trucks.  States can enforce laws that are stricter than federal laws.
You do know that there are plenty of trucks and that isn't the issue right? Trucks older than 3 years can't go there anymore. O&O can't go there, so only large corps that can also afford new trucks can. You have trucks that can't get their loads because of all the cargo. The empties are stuck on chassis in yards and wherever they can store them because the port won't take them right now. The port off loading ships wasn't really a problem.

Biden could use interstate laws to suspend the states rules but didn't want to do that. They are now moving the cargo somewhere else but that doesn't fix anything as you still have to have chassis to move it and/or cranes to load/unload it so you can actually get the cargo on a truck.

Congress could invoke its authority over interstate commerce to overrule these CA regulations, but I doubt Biden has any power to do that on his own. I could be wrong.  Perhaps a bill will be proposed.  If no bill is proposed, by either party, that would tell me that the regulations aren't the issue.
Obtuse: stupid or unintelligent : not able to think clearly or to understand what is obvious or simple

Example: He is too obtuse to take a hint.

Wallbash
Cali's commie laws are the problem.

Good thing Newsome will hopefully, keel over shortly.
(11-08-2021, 09:54 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2021, 09:40 PM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]You do know that there are plenty of trucks and that isn't the issue right? Trucks older than 3 years can't go there anymore. O&O can't go there, so only large corps that can also afford new trucks can. You have trucks that can't get their loads because of all the cargo. The empties are stuck on chassis in yards and wherever they can store them because the port won't take them right now. The port off loading ships wasn't really a problem.

Congress could invoke its authority over interstate commerce to overrule these CA regulations, but I doubt Biden has any power to do that on his own. I could be wrong.  Perhaps a bill will be proposed.  If no bill is proposed, by either party, that would tell me that the regulations aren't the issue.

Wake up, dude. Even if congress could invoke that authority, they wouldn't. The Democrat elites want these trucks off the road, just like they want the cars off the road.
(11-08-2021, 11:40 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2021, 09:54 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Congress could invoke its authority over interstate commerce to overrule these CA regulations, but I doubt Biden has any power to do that on his own. I could be wrong.  Perhaps a bill will be proposed.  If no bill is proposed, by either party, that would tell me that the regulations aren't the issue.

Wake up, dude. Even if congress could invoke that authority, they wouldn't. The Democrat elites want these trucks off the road, just like they want the cars off the road.

If you're right, then the Republicans should be proposing a new federal trucking bill any day now.