Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Marines' Rolling Thunder w/howitzers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This has been happening for the past several days on Fort Bragg. They come every year and blow [BLEEP] up and shake pictures off of walls. They train day and night so at 0200 hours you can be woken up by the sound of "thunder". If you want to see what a howitzer looks like at night.....

Link

Marines participated in the 10th Marines-led live-fire artillery exercise, Rolling Thunder 1-22, at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. The exercise is designed to provide timely, accurate and lethal fires in support of the mission.

Marines maneuver against a simulated enemy force, using M777 howitzer cannons, counter-fire operations and sensor operations. These skills help Marines perform at an elite level in order to be successful in combat.
I used to live next to Fort Knox and when they held live fire exercises I could see our windows flex with the concussions.

I like to tell people who crow about loud fighter jets being the sound of freedom that so is artillery fire, but I bet they wouldn't be so gung-ho if their pictures were being shook off the walls.
LOL. The "sound of freedom" and "get used to it" explanations are THE things people say when new folks in the area are freaking out on the Nextdoor app about their houses shaking. I thought I'd share that link so they could see what was going on. Poor transplants and retirees from NJ and NY don't know what the heck is going on.

The Marines were high speed low drag today. My poor husband hasn't had a good days sleep since they came to town. I told him those of us who sleep at night aren't sleeping any better.
(11-08-2021, 07:42 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]LOL. The "sound of freedom" and "get used to it" explanations are THE things people say when new folks in the area are freaking out on the Nextdoor app about their houses shaking. I thought I'd share that link so they could see what was going on. Poor transplants and retirees from NJ and NY don't know what the heck is going on.

The Marines were high speed low drag today. My poor husband hasn't had a good days sleep since they came to town. I told him those of us who sleep at night aren't sleeping any better.

Like the people who move out into the country and then complain about farm smells. The same holds true if you move next to a military installation, especially an Army post. 

Do your research, Yankees.
Facts. They thought they were moving to a nice little golf resort area that's quiet and peaceful all the time. Then their teeth get rattled and they wonder why their real estate agent never mentioned things like this and the planes and helos always doing training exercises. I mean, Bragg IS home of the 82nd Airborne, Rangers training, Robin Sage, and a number of other Spec Ops training for foreign military.

We have had Chinooks and other choppers fly so low over our house it destroyed the back windshield of my husband's car. You get used to it after awhile.

We're about 45 miles from Bragg itself but maybe 10-15 miles from the ranges they use.
I hear gunfire and explosions at my place every now and then from Camp Blanding.  It doesn't bother me one bit.
(11-08-2021, 07:14 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]I used to live next to Fort Knox and when they held live fire exercises I could see our windows flex with the concussions.

I like to tell people who crow about loud fighter jets being the sound of freedom that so is artillery fire, but I bet they wouldn't be so gung-ho if their pictures were being shook off the walls.

Until you finally got the loot!  Now you’re living on a private paradise island.  Say, can I barrow a bouillon or two?  

I’m guessing Mikesez will come in and tell us how people choose to live near city railways and it shakes their house as well.  And that it’s a “nothing to see” thing.