Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: This shouldn't be happening, there is no reason for it
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We owe the members of our Military everything, they deserve it, and I thank God everyday for their selfless service to this GREAT Nation......

Thousands of Military Families Struggle With Food Insecurity

It’s a hidden crisis that has existed for years inside one of the most well-funded institutions on the planet and has only worsened during the coronavirus pandemic. As many of 160,000 active-duty military members are having trouble feeding their families.

https://www.newsmax.com/us/hunger-in-ame...MzrJFZWp-Y
Meh, this is sensationalized reporting. Personal financial training is mandatory and financial counseling is offered for free on all military bases. One of the many hats I wore while active duty was as a financial counselor. The great majority of the time a servicemember was experiencing financial difficulties was due to money mismanagement. I remember one guy who had a letter from the IRS threatening collection along with steep late fees and penalties if he didn't pay a tax bill. When I asked him why he didn't pay, he stated, no kidding, "I forgot." On top of this he was paying a car note with a 23% interest rate.

It simply comes down to personal accountability. The story mentions a wife who said her husband joined and they both had student loans. Enlisted pay scales are readily available. They should have researched what his pay would be and balanced it against their student loan and living expenses before he joined. Or, perhaps put off having children until the servicemember makes rank and a bigger paycheck.

I'm not speaking in a vacuum here. My wife and I had 5 kids while I was active duty. Unlike welfare, the military does not pay extra with each dependent. A servicemember with a spouse makes the same amount as me with a spouse and 5 children. Yes, there were times when I remember eating ramen noodles and hotdogs in order to afford diapers and baby formula, but I understood what I was getting into with my income and expenses. And that was when the military was paying much less in comparison to economic scales than they pay today.