Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: U.S. Household Income Grew 5.2 Percent in 2015, Breaking Pattern of Stagnation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Thanks alot Obama!!!

<p class="" style="margin-left:75px;font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', times, serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">The median household’s income in 2015 was $56,500, up 5.2 percent from the previous year — the largest single-year increase since record-keeping began in 1967, the <a class="" href='http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/c/census_bureau/index.html?inline=nyt-org' title="More articles about Census Bureau, U.S.">Census Bureau</a> said on Tuesday. The share of Americans living in poverty also posted the sharpest decline in decades.

<p class="" style="margin-left:75px;font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', times, serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">The gains were an important milestone for the economic expansion that began in 2009. For the first time in recent years, the benefits of renewed prosperity are spreading broadly. And the data was released into a heated presidential race, where Democrats seized on them to promote Hillary Clinton’s candidacy and undercut Donald J. Trump’s dark assessment of the nation’s well-being.

<p class="" style="margin-left:75px;font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', times, serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/14/busine....html?_r=0

10 trillion dollars in debt, 8 million more people in poverty, no year with 3% GDP growth...

As an analogy, the broncos showed a lot of resolve scoring a late TD against the Seahawks, it was still 43 to 8
Quote:Thanks alot Obama!!!

<p style="margin-left:75px;font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', times, serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">The median household’s income in 2015 was $56,500, up 5.2 percent from the previous year — the largest single-year increase since record-keeping began in 1967, the Census Bureau said on Tuesday. The share of Americans living in poverty also posted the sharpest decline in decades.

<p style="margin-left:75px;font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', times, serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">The gains were an important milestone for the economic expansion that began in 2009. For the first time in recent years, the benefits of renewed prosperity are spreading broadly. And the data was released into a heated presidential race, where Democrats seized on them to promote Hillary Clinton’s candidacy and undercut Donald J. Trump’s dark assessment of the nation’s well-being.

<p style="margin-left:75px;font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', times, serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/14/busine....html?_r=0

Also from the article:

Quote: 

The economic recovery, however, remains incomplete. The median household income was still 1.6 percent lower than in 2007, adjusting for inflation.

So after eight years and over ten trillion dollars in stimulus spending that our descendants are stuck with, we're almost back to where we were before Obama.

What a superstar!

No one president is responsible for amassing trillions in debt (though W tried), but Obama is responsible for bringing the deficit down considerably.
Quote:10 trillion dollars in debt, 8 million more people in poverty, no year with 3% GDP growth...

As an analogy, the broncos showed a lot of resolve scoring a late TD against the Seahawks, it was still 43 to 8

Your analogy is stupid. The Broncos started the game 0-0.

To make your analogy match reality... Obama (Broncos) started the game down by 4 touch downs.

I'd say Obama has done a great job cleaning up the destruction the gop left the country in. America has been making a come back under Obama.

Still a long ways to go, but 2015 is an indication that we're moving in the right direction.
Quote:Your analogy is stupid. The Broncos started the game 0-0.

To make your analogy match reality... Obama (Broncos) started the game down by 4 touch downs.

I'd say Obama has done a great job cleaning up the destruction the gop left the country in. America has been making a come back under Obama.

Still a long ways to go, but 2015 is an indication that we're moving in the right direction.

And then he wants to pass TPP to absolutely shred any sort of future annual income increase. Weird behavior. Also, until there is a consistent trend of income increase, this blip means nothing. George Bush increased the wage gap for 5 straight years before it nose-dived. It took Barack Obama 8 years to get it to near-Bush levels? I highly, HIGHLY doubt it stays where its at, especially if TPP passes.

[Image: 4MP9MnF.jpg]

http://www.epi.org/publication/charting-...tagnation/
My mom always told me to never trust a guy who doesn't have WiFi at work.

Words to live by.

Incorrect, Obama supported the housing policies that caused the crash.

One flaw in your argument; the country was doing very well, with the deficit lowering every year between 2004 and 2007 when Bush was president and the Pubs controlled the House and Senate. The Dems took control of the House and Senate in 2007, and their first budget was the 2008 budget.

Obama's lowest deficit is still higher than the 2004 high, and the US was funding a major war effort during the Bush years, not to mention a huge GDP hit from the dot com bubble burst and the destruction of our country's main financial center.

http://www.usgovernmentdebt.us/spending_...l_Deficits
Quote:And then he wants to pass TPP to absolutely shred any sort of future annual income increase. Weird behavior. Also, until there is a consistent trend of income increase, this blip means nothing. George Bush increased the wage gap for 5 straight years before it nose-dived. It took Barack Obama 8 years to get it to near-Bush levels? I highly, HIGHLY doubt it stays where its at, especially if TPP passes.

[Image: 4MP9MnF.jpg]

http://www.epi.org/publication/charting-...tagnation/

Good points.  And I find your argument valid.

However, this uptick is a postive sign that all Americans should be happy about.  The fact that the economy went through a depression, was significant.  You're right that there needs to be more gains in this area to make us whole again...  But you cannot deny that this is a long time coming.  Imagine if the US congress wasn't obstructing economic growth policies for the last 6 years?
Quote:My mom always told me to never trust a guy who doesn't have WiFi at work.

Words to live by.

Well that's only because when she comes over to my house, she get's Wi-Fi.  Most of her "jobs" didn't provide that luxury.  I guess I spoiled her.  
Quote:One flaw in your argument; the country was doing very well, with the deficit lowering every year between 2004 and 2007 when Bush was president and the Pubs controlled the House and Senate. The Dems took control of the House and Senate in 2007, and their first budget was the 2008 budget.

Obama's lowest deficit is still higher than the 2004 high, and the US was funding a major war effort during the Bush years, not to mention a huge GDP hit from the dot com bubble burst and the destruction of our country's main financial center.

http://www.usgovernmentdebt.us/spending_...l_Deficits

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the trillion dollar war effort under bush not booked?  

As for the economy under bush, it was a bubble that rightly popped.  The outsourcing of america and the housing corruption was already taking it's toll by 2006.  I remember it very clearly.  It all came to a head, rightly so, under Bush, since it was his policies that caused it.

It's just nice to see the economy gaining speed for American Workers.  I'm sure we're all happy that Americans are doing better under Obama.  
Quote:Well that's only because when she comes over to my house, she get's Wi-Fi.  Most of her "jobs" didn't provide that luxury.  I guess I spoiled her.

Im sure no one is surprised you'd have to pay for it.
Quote:Im sure no one is surprised you'd have to pay for it.

Well, I don't like to clean my own tiolets.
Quote:Well, I don't like to clean my own tiolets.

Its great that you have someone to do such an unpleasant task, and someone to clean your toilet too.
Quote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the trillion dollar war effort under bush not booked?  

As for the economy under bush, it was a bubble that rightly popped.  The outsourcing of america and the housing corruption was already taking it's toll by 2006.  I remember it very clearly.  It all came to a head, rightly so, under Bush, since it was his policies that caused it.

It's just nice to see the economy gaining speed for American Workers.  I'm sure we're all happy that Americans are doing better under Obama.  

Weren't these policies set in place by Clinton?
Quote:Its great that you have someone to do such an unpleasant task, and someone to clean your toilet too.

Both duties have been classified as torture tactics under the Geneva conventions.
Quote:Weren't these policies set in place by Clinton?

Keeping the Iraq war off the books was all Bush.

Repealing banking regulations began under Clinton (he signed it, but it was pushed for by the gop run Congress) and was exacerbated under Bush. The sub prime crises was all on Bush....
Quote:Both duties have been classified as torture tactics under the Geneva conventions.

I don't doubt it at all! :no:
Quote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the trillion dollar war effort under bush not booked?  

It may or may not have been considered a part of the budget, but the spending was still part of the deficit.

The bubble was only part of the deficit. 
 Although it was not Bush's policies that caused the problem, it was a Federal requirement predating Bush to provide mortgages to people who couldn't pay them. Bush actually tried to get that changed.

The TARP payout (Bush plus Dem congress) inflated the 2008 deficit. The increase in spending "stimulus" in 2009 was above and beyond the 2007 budget plus the TARP which was supposed to be a one-time expense. The deficit has slowly come down after staying high through the last Dem-controlled congress budget in 2011. The Pubs first budget after four years of Dem control was 2012. If anyone you should be thanking the Pub congress.

Still, neither the deficit nor the median household income is back to the 2007 level. This short burst of improvement is a field goal in the final seconds while down by 7.

Pages: 1 2 3