Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 1 Million Rounds Per Minute: Meet the Metal Storm ‘Gun’
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is one BAD [BLEEP] piece of hardware..........

1 Million Rounds Per Minute: Meet the Metal Storm ‘Gun’

Metal Storm, a 3 Minute Primer: Until the invention of the first repeating rifles in the middle of the 19th century, the average soldier could typically fire about three rounds per minute. The truly skilled might have been able to get off the occasional fourth round, which is why for centuries armies lined up in mass – it was essentially the only way to ensure that some of the rounds would hit their targets.

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2021/12/1-mi...storm-gun/
Pretty cool but I can’t imagine what its application would be.

I’ve stood above a Close-In Weapons System as it fired. 4500 rpm of 20mm sounds like flatulence of the gods.
(12-07-2021, 09:05 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty cool but I can’t imagine what its application would be.

I’ve stood above a Close-In Weapons System as it fired. 4500 rpm of 20mm sounds like flatulence of the gods.

Lol, that's a pretty good description that I have never heard.   Laughing
(12-07-2021, 09:05 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty cool but I can’t imagine what its application would be.

Maybe an anti-missile weapon.   Put it on a ship and if all the other defenses fail for some reason, just fill the area with bullets.  It could be computer controlled.  

The problem I see with this weapon is, because of the rate at which it expends ammo, you might have a logistical problem with supplying enough ammo.  That's why I could see it on a ship as a specialty defensive weapon.

Edit: Now I read the comments after the article, and I see someone had the same idea.
(12-07-2021, 11:07 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]

Maybe an anti-missile weapon.   Put it on a ship and if all the other defenses fail for some reason, just fill the area with bullets.  It could be computer controlled.  

The problem I see with this weapon is, because of the rate at which it expends ammo, you might have a logistical problem with supplying enough ammo.  That's why I could see it on a ship as a specialty defensive weapon.

Edit: Now I read the comments after the article, and I see someone had the same idea.

In essence, that is what a CIWS already does. I also question the effectiveness of the range and mass of a 9mm round, but in no way am I very knowledgeable concerning ballistics.

It's our last defense if Skynet ever becomes aware.