Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Biden's Supreme Court Commission Rejects Expansion in Report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
At least we don't have to worry about the libs packing the court...... For now anyway......

Biden's Supreme Court Commission Rejects Expansion in Report

President Joe Biden's Supreme Court commission did not endorse expanding the court, but says there are "profound" differences of opinion over the direction the court should take in the future.

https://www.newsmax.com/politics/supreme...yQgw8zY7tU
They didn't reject expansion. They came to no conclusion, because they had too many different opinions.

My opinion would be, if one side thinks it can pack the court with additional justices in order to change outcomes, they should realize that the other side can do it too. So any change in power in the White House would result in court packing, and back and forth and back and forth until we have 50, 60, or 100 Supreme Court justices. So obviously, the whole idea is idiotic.
They need to get their voting bill passed first.
(12-08-2021, 06:49 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]My opinion would be, if one side thinks it can pack the court with additional justices in order to change outcomes, they should realize that the other side can do it too.  So any change in power in the White House would result in court packing, and back and forth and back and forth until we have 50, 60, or 100 Supreme Court justices.  So obviously, the whole idea is idiotic.

Not when it's McConnell vs. Shumer.  Ones willing to do ANYTHING to maintain power.  One needs to be the good guy in the room.  

That fake lame duck thing that happened at the end of Obama's term, and then Getting a nominee when Trumps term was almost over should tell you everything you need to know.
(12-08-2021, 10:50 AM)Norman Mushari Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-08-2021, 06:49 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]My opinion would be, if one side thinks it can pack the court with additional justices in order to change outcomes, they should realize that the other side can do it too.  So any change in power in the White House would result in court packing, and back and forth and back and forth until we have 50, 60, or 100 Supreme Court justices.  So obviously, the whole idea is idiotic.

Not when it's McConnell vs. Shumer.  Ones willing to do ANYTHING to maintain power.  One needs to be the good guy in the room.  

That fake lame duck thing that happened at the end of Obama's term, and then Getting a nominee when Trumps term was almost over should tell you everything you need to know.

That doesn't have anything to do with what I said.  If the Democrats pack the court with additional justices, then the Republicans will do the same thing when they are in power.  And it'll go back and forth until we have 100 Justices or more.  And Supreme Court decisions will flip flop back and forth to the point that the whole idea of a Supreme Court is useless.  

What if Trump gets re-elected and decides to nominate 10 new justices, all of whom will decide that he can be President for life?  Or Biden nominates enough justices to overturn gun rights and take away all the guns that people own?  Back and forth.  Back and forth.  And every time one party controls the Presidency and the Senate, they nominate enough new justices who will allow them to do whatever they want, regardless of the law or the Constitution.  

Court packing is a bad idea.
I agree with Marty, but Norman is also right, that just because today Democrats decided court packing was a bad idea, doesn't mean Republicans won't try it if they ever get the chance. It's like nuclear war. Just because you decide not to play, doesn't mean your opponent will also decide not to play.

I would be in favor of amending the Constitution to limit the term in office for Supreme Court judges, so each President gets a fixed number of appointments to the bench.
I'd also be in favor of amending the Constitution to say that the lower court judges should be the ones nominating new judges to be confirmed by the Senate, and give the President no role in that, which is the way it is in some states already.