Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Impressions From the Jets Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
This was a game I was looking forward to because it was the first matchup between TL and Wilson.  Even though the game was meaningless in terms of playoff relevance, it was a game I wanted to win. 

My thoughts

1.  Although it wasn't quite as embarrassing a performance as the 4th and 21 or so given up to the Raiders' punter back during the Gud Bradley era, I thought the run defense's performance was nothing to be proud of, that's for damn sure.  For Zach Wilson to have a freaking 53 yard TD run was embarrassing.  What the hell was Rudy Ford doing?!?  Wilson also made Smoot look foolish on another run with a pump fake.  Compounding things, the Jaguars allowed th jets RB to rush for over 100 yards.  I understand two Jaguars' LBs were out, but the Jets were missing some receivers and offensive linemen.  There was no reason to give up that much on the ground to the Jets...or anyone.  Isn't that why we signed all of the tackles this past offseason?!?  Then to top it off, they let an offensive linemn get wide [BLEEP] open and score a TD.

2.  Not to be outdone in the embarrassment department, the special teams allowed another kickoff return for a TD in back to back weeks.  It's the 4th TD they have given up this year.  Special teams was supposed to be a source of pride under Urban Meyer.  This just illustrates how complete his failure was/is.  The fake punt to start the game does not offset the ineptitude of the kick coverage teams.

3.  Sucks to see what happened with James Robinson.  Because it happened so late in the year, I could see him missing the first part of next year if it is a torn achilles.  Actually, I'm wondering what kind of turf they had up there.  Was it the same they had in New Orleans this preseason?  Etienne hurt his Lisfranc on a no contact type injury.  Thing is, an achilles is one of those injuries that can ruin a guy's career.  I hope he fully recovers.

4.  I cannot recall a defender so completely unable to make a play as K'Lavon chaisson.  it seems like his entire career, the few times he has been in position to make a potential game changing play, he has come up empty almost every time.  I don't know if "unclutch" is a word, but if it is, it would seem to fit Chaisson.  Though there is an argument to be made for trading down in the draft, I would not complain if we wound up with Hutchinson or Thibodeaux in the draft so we can replace Chaisson ASAP.

5.  I thought this was the best game by the receivers in a long time.  Aside from Marvin Jones, I saw no egregious drops of any passes.  Make no mistake...the position is still, to quote Marsellus Wallace "pretty [BLEEP] far from okay." But the play from the WRs was almost encouraging today.

6.  What in the hell was that handoff in that last two minute drill?!?  Awful playcall.

7.  Rookie Watch

A.  Trevor Lawrence-Statistically had a pretty good game.  Didn't throw any TDs, but no INTs either.  He showed he can do the job effectively when he gets protection.  His roll out throw to Tayvon Austin was one of those jaw dropping plays that shows what scouts saw in him to make him the first overall pick.  He looked very good on that final drive, getting the team in position to win the game.  Could he have run another play instead of spiking the ball?  He deserves criticism in a couple of areas.  First, he had two fumbles.  Fortunately, one got recovered in the end zone by Will Richardson for a TD.  Equally fortunate, his second fumble, which was recovered by the Jets deep in his own territory, wasn't returned for a TD or later converted into any points.  The second point of criticism is his penchant to reverse field and scramble to the left when avoiding pressure.  Granted, he shouldn't have so much pressure from that side in the first place, but very little good has happened when he's done that.  It reeks of a rookie playing hero ball and it led to the second fumble.  Part of his maturing process will be him learning to either eat the ball or get rid of it more quickly.

B.  Travis Etienne-DNP.  On IR

C.  Tyson Campbell-Continued his solid play.

D.  Walker Little-Got some playing time in short yardage situations as an extra blocker/TE.

E.  Andre Cisco-seemed to get his first extensive play of the season, and took advantage of his opportunity.  He made a break on a Wilson pass and almost came up with an INT. Also made a couple of really nice tackles, and blocked an extra point.  His play was good enough to make Jaguars scream the question we've been asking all year:  "Why not play Andre Cisco?"

F.  Jay Tufele-Saw him play, but did not see him make any impact.

G.  Jordan Smith-to my knowledge DNP.

H.  Luke Farrell-to my knowledge DNP.

8.  With this loss today and the wholly unexpected Texans win, I think we pretty much have a stranglehold on a top two pick because both the Texans and Jets are two games better than we are and we have our remaining games against the Patriots and Colts.

9.  Bottom line:  This game showed what can happen if TL gets time.  But he still needs new coaches and a better surrounding cast.  That better surrounding cast isn't going to come unless Baalke is replaced.  This team is a long long long way off.
Both ETN and Robinson will be coming off of injuries that are not favorable for RBs. Will be something to watch going forward.

Wanted that win at the end for Trevor, but I'm still good with guaranteeing us a top 2 draft pick.

A lot of us have been screaming for Cisco since day 1. He finally gets his chance (was splitting every 2 series with Thomas) and he flashed all over the field. Mind blowing that it took this long for him to get on the field and only because of an injury.

Special Teams still sucks.
We really need speed. Urban Meyer was not wrong on that. Hopefully Etiene still has his burst.
(12-26-2021, 05:56 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Compounding things, the Jaguars allowed th jets RB to rush for over 100 yards.

To expand, that would be 4th round rookie that many of us wanted Michael Carter Jr. If we didn't have the Meyer tire fire going on we might have wound up with him and not blown a 1st rounder on a RB.
We are whiskers away from being 0 fer this year and owning so many records of futility. This year is such a wrecker of hope. Man all the picks that have been flushed down the toilet.

Crazy how much work is left.
After we pick the best DE in the country, we need to invest heavily in the offense to build around Lawrence.
(12-26-2021, 07:05 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]After we pick the best DE in the country, we need to invest heavily in the offense to build around Lawrence.

Exactly, that's the key to success just like the Browns had when they took Courtney the year after Tim Couch.
In regards to Rudy Ford, he clearly thought Wilson was going out of bounds, so he slowed up in order to not hit him out of bounds and get a 15 yard penalty.  Wilson then turned up-field.  Mental mistakes are very common with this team.  That's a sign of bad coaching.

As for special teams and the kick return, I'm on record last off-season saying that the Jaguars should have retained their special teams coach.

Finally, speaking one more time of bad coaching, I agree about the hand off during the 2 minute drill.  It wasn't even third or fourth down.  It was first down and 10 and you are down to your 4th string running back.  The only thing I can guess is that they were trying the element of surprise.  Being stupid can be unpredictable, but it's still stupid.
(12-26-2021, 07:07 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-26-2021, 07:05 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]After we pick the best DE in the country, we need to invest heavily in the offense to build around Lawrence.

Exactly, that's the key to success just like the Browns had when they took Courtney the year after Tim Couch.

Wait.. You're supposed to take DE first then QB. Garret-Mayfield

Duh

(12-26-2021, 07:10 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: [ -> ]In regards to Rudy Ford, he clearly thought Wilson was going out of bounds, so he slowed up in order to not hit him out of bounds and get a 15 yard penalty.  Wilson then turned up-field.  Mental mistakes are very common with this team.  That's a sign of bad coaching.

As for special teams and the kick return, I'm on record last off-season saying that the Jaguars should have retained their special teams coach.

Finally, speaking one more time of bad coaching, I agree about the hand off during the 2 minute drill.  It wasn't even third or fourth down.  It was first down and 10 and you are down to your 4th string running back.  The only thing I can guess is that they were trying the element of surprise.  Being stupid can be unpredictable, but it's still stupid.

The amount of times I've thought why don't players ever utilize that and fake going out.. Wilsons run today was the first time I've seen it utilized by a QB.
(12-26-2021, 07:12 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-26-2021, 07:07 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly, that's the key to success just like the Browns had when they took Courtney the year after Tim Couch.

Wait.. You're supposed to take DE first then QB. Garret-Mayfield

Duh

(12-26-2021, 07:10 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: [ -> ]In regards to Rudy Ford, he clearly thought Wilson was going out of bounds, so he slowed up in order to not hit him out of bounds and get a 15 yard penalty.  Wilson then turned up-field.  Mental mistakes are very common with this team.  That's a sign of bad coaching.

The amount of times I've thought why don't players ever utilize that and fake going out.. Wilsons run today was the first time I've seen it utilized by a QB.

I will say that it has always been a pet peeve of mine when quarterback basically do the same concept on slides.  I support a quarterback giving themselves up, but I think they should do it early.  Some quarterbacks clearly wait until the last second to slide with the hope that the defender, who is running full speed and can't stop on a dime, doesn't have the reflexes to avoid a hit.  Instant 15 yards for the offense.  I wish the rule would give the benefit of the doubt to the defender and have it only called if it is flagrant.
(12-26-2021, 07:27 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-26-2021, 07:12 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Wait.. You're supposed to take DE first then QB. Garret-Mayfield

Duh

I will say that it has always been a pet peeve of mine when quarterback basically do the same concept on slides.  I support a quarterback giving themselves up, but I think they should do it early.  Some quarterbacks clearly wait until the last second to slide with the hope that the defender, who is running full speed and can't stop on a dime, doesn't have the reflexes to avoid a hit.  Instant 15 yards for the offense.  I wish the rule would give the benefit of the doubt to the defender and have it only called if it is flagrant.

Agree entirely. This could become a growing issue with the game.
(12-26-2021, 06:55 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-26-2021, 05:56 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Compounding things, the Jaguars allowed th jets RB to rush for over 100 yards.

To expand, that would be 4th round rookie that many of us wanted Michael Carter Jr. If we didn't have the Meyer tire fire going on we might have wound up with him and not blown a 1st rounder on a RB.

If Robinson is never the same and Etienne comes back 100% it might actually be a good pick.
(12-26-2021, 07:39 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-26-2021, 06:55 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]To expand, that would be 4th round rookie that many of us wanted Michael Carter Jr. If we didn't have the Meyer tire fire going on we might have wound up with him and not blown a 1st rounder on a RB.

If Robinson is never the same and Etienne comes back 100% it might actually be a good pick.

No, it would still be a bad pick, and it's unlikely either guy comes back to be 100% from their injury.
(12-26-2021, 08:00 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-26-2021, 07:39 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]If Robinson is never the same and Etienne comes back 100% it might actually be a good pick.

No, it would still be a bad pick, and it's unlikely either guy comes back to be 100% from their injury.

Naw, Etieene  is an elite back with game breaking speed.  He could be huge for this offense next year and something we have lacked for since prime MJD
While I tend to agree Etienne will likely prove to be a reach, definitely stating he was a bad pick before he plays a down is a stretch.
(12-26-2021, 08:00 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-26-2021, 07:39 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]If Robinson is never the same and Etienne comes back 100% it might actually be a good pick.

Just draft another one in the 4th round.
(12-26-2021, 08:12 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-26-2021, 08:00 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]No, it would still be a bad pick, and it's unlikely either guy comes back to be 100% from their injury.
Just draft another one in the 4th round.

I actually agree we should, given the injury status of our backs .
Chaisson pulled up very early during Wilson’s run as well. He should of been benched for that. He brings nothing to this team.
(12-26-2021, 08:20 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]Chaisson pulled up very early during Wilson’s run as well. He should of been benched for that. He brings nothing to this team.

That was Ford
(12-26-2021, 08:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-26-2021, 08:00 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]No, it would still be a bad pick, and it's unlikely either guy comes back to be 100% from their injury.

Naw, Etieene  is an elite back with game breaking speed.  He could be huge for this offense next year and something we have lacked for since prime MJD
It will always be a bad pick no matter how ETN turns out.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6