Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: America's Homeless
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I've stated a few times before that Tucker Carlson's only redeeming quality is his astute monologues. Otherwise, I can't stand listening to the guy. But his monologues are measured and surprisingly not as politically biased as his show. Last night he presented a truthful treatise on the motivations for homelessness in America.

Regardless of your political leanings I think it's a worthwhile watch. 

https://youtu.be/DREmnsungVM
I enjoy Tucker Carlson he’s a watered down version of Alex Jobe which is good cause Alex will raise your blood pressure if you listen to much.
Lol no. There was very little truth to that.
The direct, proximate cause of homelessness is eviction.
Putting homeless people in jail for being homeless is even more expensive than what we are doing now.
The one thing that Tucker sort of gets right is that when a city like LA or Seattle decides to put homeless people in free apartments, they do, counterintuitively, end up with more homeless people than they had before. But this isn't because middle class people in LA and Seattle suddenly give up on life and decide to join the ranks of the homeless freeloaders. It's because homeless folks in Tacoma and Riverside hear about the nice free new houses that Seattle and LA just gave away, and they decide to move their tent and wait for their turn. The homeless are mobile. You can't understand the problem unless you recognize that fact.
One thing he repeatedly gets wrong is the drug thing. The police might be required to ignore homeless camps, but they are certainly not required to ignore public meth use or public intoxication. Drug laws may be getting more liberal, but not that liberal.
(01-19-2022, 09:03 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Lol no.  There was very little truth to that.
Putting homeless people in jail for being homeless is even more expensive than what we are doing now.
The one thing that Tucker sort of gets right is that when a city like LA or Seattle decides to put homeless people in free apartments, they do, counterintuitively, end up with more homeless people than they had before.  But this isn't because middle class people in LA and Seattle suddenly give up on life and decide to join the ranks of the homeless freeloaders.  It's because homeless folks in Tacoma and Riverside hear about the nice free new houses that Seattle and LA just gave away, and they decide to move their tent and wait for their turn.  The homeless are mobile.  You can't understand the problem unless you recognize that fact.
One thing he repeatedly gets wrong is the drug thing.  The police might be required to ignore homeless camps, but they are certainly not required to ignore public meth use or public intoxication.  Drug laws may be getting more liberal, but not that liberal.

Dude they literally have government sanctioned illegal drug houses.
(01-19-2022, 09:38 PM)copycat Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-19-2022, 09:03 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Lol no.  There was very little truth to that.
The one thing that Tucker sort of gets right is that when a city like LA or Seattle decides to put homeless people in free apartments, they do, counterintuitively, end up with more homeless people than they had before.  But this isn't because middle class people in LA and Seattle suddenly give up on life and decide to join the ranks of the homeless freeloaders.  It's because homeless folks in Tacoma and Riverside hear about the nice free new houses that Seattle and LA just gave away, and they decide to move their tent and wait for their turn.  The homeless are mobile.  You can't understand the problem unless you recognize that fact.
One thing he repeatedly gets wrong is the drug thing.  The police might be required to ignore homeless camps, but they are certainly not required to ignore public meth use or public intoxication.  Drug laws may be getting more liberal, but not that liberal.

Dude they literally have government sanctioned illegal drug houses.

There are two in New York City.  People may do drugs in these houses without fear of arrest.  That does not mean they can do drugs outside of these places.  Also, there are no other places like this anywhere in the US.  None.  Tucker's image of homeless people blowing meth smoke in the faces of innocent children all over the country simply isn't factual.  Homeless people are arrested and jailed if they are caught smoking meth.  Most homeless people don't do drugs.  They can't afford them!
(01-19-2022, 09:03 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]The direct, proximate cause of homelessness is eviction. 

The problem is far more complex that you understand.
Lol, why argue with Mikey... He watches the news, ya'll. He doesn't need to use his eyes. He's informed.
This video is a pretty good representation of the homeless problem in major cities in America though west coast cities seem to have it much worse. I watched this some time in the last year or so and it was an eye opener. 

Video
Yeah you tend to get evicted when you spend all your money on drugs
As one that has been though homelessness during a rough patch in my life, I've seen all kinds of reasons why people, including entire families have ben come homeless. A majority of the times it's because 1 partner lost their job through no fault of their own, but for others like me, it was because of a drug/alcohol addiction. NOw, in my town I see a few homeless people that I've known to be on the streets for 20+ years, why you ask?, it's because they wrork day labor, get their check, and go right out and buy booze/drugs. Now, in my town their are a variety of resources available to help you get out of that situation. Yeas, I worked everyday doing the only job I could find at the time, which was working the trsh trucks, It was the perfect job for me at the time because I was very angry about things. Where else could you throw things, break things, smash things and destroy things all day 5 days a week. Anyway, I finally saved up enough to put a deposit on a place (rent in my area it a tad high) after living in a tent for a summer down by the river. Yeah, I'll admit it was rough at times but I DUG my way out of that hole. Now, the same people I see on the streets 20+ years later, I have no sympathy for them. They will not help themselves or utilize the resources available to them to get them out of their situation. Addictuion is a beast tat is hard to overcome, I speak from experience from that point of view, but I did it. I'll be the first to help out anyone that wants to help themselves, point them in the right direction to get the help they need, but they must be willing to put the effort in to get out of their situation and make life better for themselves.
(01-19-2022, 11:25 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]This video is a pretty good representation of the homeless problem in major cities in America though west coast cities seem to have it much worse. I watched this some time in the last year or so and it was an eye opener. 

Video

I watched that, too.  Very interesting.  I recommend it.
(01-19-2022, 10:52 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-19-2022, 09:03 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]The direct, proximate cause of homelessness is eviction. 

The problem is far more complex that you understand.

I understand more than you think. There are many reasons that one might get evicted.  Drug use is often one of them.  But eviction is the common variable.

(01-19-2022, 11:26 PM)snaxdelrio Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah you tend to get evicted when you spend all your money on drugs

Or when your landlord doesn't maintain the place and it gets condemned.
Or when your landlord decides to increase the rent beyond what you can afford.
Or because you're mentally ill to the point that you can't keep the place clean.
Or because you have domestic problems that create noise complaints.
These are complex, messy problems.
Or because you're a bum.
(01-19-2022, 11:25 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]This video is a pretty good representation of the homeless problem in major cities in America though west coast cities seem to have it much worse. I watched this some time in the last year or so and it was an eye opener. 

Video

This video is just a slower burn version of Tucker's video.
It repeatedly implies that we can incarcerate ourselves out of this problem.
We cannot.
The video dwells on a list of 100 homeless individuals who have repeatedly been arrested for property crime, but never been jailed for more than a few days.
Yes, a better criminal Justice system would get these people convicted and locked away for years, but that's not really solving the issue.
Current estimates are that more than 10,000 people are homeless in the city of Seattle. So it would appear that only 1% of these are habitual criminals.
But suppose you don't care about that. Suppose you think that living in a tent in public should in and of itself be a crime. 
King County currently has about 2,000 people in jails. Do you think they have room for another 10,000? The total would be over 12,000. Do you think they have the budget to increase the size of their jails by the factor of six overnight? Whose taxes should they raise? How long should these people be locked up for?
(01-20-2022, 01:25 AM)The Drifter Wrote: [ -> ]As one that has been though homelessness during a rough patch in my life, I've seen all kinds of reasons why people, including entire families have ben come homeless. A majority of the times it's because 1 partner lost their job through no fault of their own, but for others like me, it was because of a drug/alcohol addiction. NOw, in my town I see a few homeless people that I've known to be on the streets for 20+ years, why you ask?, it's because they wrork day labor, get their check, and go right out and buy booze/drugs. Now, in my town their are a variety of resources available to help you get out of that situation. Yeas, I worked everyday doing the only job I could find at the time, which was working the trsh trucks, It was the perfect job for me at the time because I was very angry about things. Where else could you throw things, break things, smash things and destroy things all day 5 days a week. Anyway, I finally saved up enough to put a deposit on a place (rent in my area it a tad high) after living in a tent for a summer down by the river. Yeah, I'll admit it was rough at times but I DUG my way out of that hole. Now, the same people I see on the streets 20+ years later, I have no sympathy for them. They will not help themselves or utilize the resources available to them to get them out of their situation. Addictuion is a beast tat is hard to overcome, I speak from experience from that point of view, but I did it. I'll be the first to help out anyone that wants to help themselves, point them in the right direction to get the help they need, but they must be willing to put the effort in to get out of their situation and make life better for themselves.

First of all, you should be proud of yourself for overcoming that situation. We're all happy for you, and thank you for sharing your story. Sounds like the story took place in Maryland about 20 years ago, is that right?
You found a job as a garbage collector, your employer didn't care that you were homeless at the time, you saved up enough for a deposit on place, and you found a place with a rent that you could afford.
Do you see how maybe it was much easier to do those three things on the East Coast 20 years ago, than it is today on the West Coast?
(01-20-2022, 01:18 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-20-2022, 01:25 AM)The Drifter Wrote: [ -> ]As one that has been though homelessness during a rough patch in my life, I've seen all kinds of reasons why people, including entire families have ben come homeless. A majority of the times it's because 1 partner lost their job through no fault of their own, but for others like me, it was because of a drug/alcohol addiction. NOw, in my town I see a few homeless people that I've known to be on the streets for 20+ years, why you ask?, it's because they wrork day labor, get their check, and go right out and buy booze/drugs. Now, in my town their are a variety of resources available to help you get out of that situation. Yeas, I worked everyday doing the only job I could find at the time, which was working the trsh trucks, It was the perfect job for me at the time because I was very angry about things. Where else could you throw things, break things, smash things and destroy things all day 5 days a week. Anyway, I finally saved up enough to put a deposit on a place (rent in my area it a tad high) after living in a tent for a summer down by the river. Yeah, I'll admit it was rough at times but I DUG my way out of that hole. Now, the same people I see on the streets 20+ years later, I have no sympathy for them. They will not help themselves or utilize the resources available to them to get them out of their situation. Addictuion is a beast tat is hard to overcome, I speak from experience from that point of view, but I did it. I'll be the first to help out anyone that wants to help themselves, point them in the right direction to get the help they need, but they must be willing to put the effort in to get out of their situation and make life better for themselves.

First of all, you should be proud of yourself for overcoming that situation. We're all happy for you, and thank you for sharing your story. Sounds like the story took place in Maryland about 20 years ago, is that right?
You found a job as a garbage collector, your employer didn't care that you were homeless at the time, you saved up enough for a deposit on place, and you found a place with a rent that you could afford.
Do you see how maybe it was much easier to do those three things on the East Coast 20 years ago, than it is today on the West Coast?

Don’t you see the solutions provided by the powers that be on the west coast are a failure and continuing down that path is not the answer.
(01-20-2022, 01:26 PM)copycat Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-20-2022, 01:18 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]First of all, you should be proud of yourself for overcoming that situation. We're all happy for you, and thank you for sharing your story. Sounds like the story took place in Maryland about 20 years ago, is that right?

Don’t you see the solutions provided by the powers that be on the west coast are a failure and continuing down that path is not the answer.

I agree that the big West Coast cities need to change their approach to these issues before they will really get better.  Giving away housing is extremely expensive and will only attract more homeless from other areas.  Putting them all in jail is even more expensive than that.  Right now they are only doing bandaid solutions.  Providing them with limited relief, but not a way out.  Better than doing nothing, but not solving the problem.
The basic problem is housing affordability, which can only be fixed by (1) increased high density housing connected by (2) increased public transit. Rent control is another possibility but that hasn't worked well in America so far. They shouldn't "give these houses away" , just allow them to be built and put on the market, prices will go down at least a little.

In NYC, for instance, it's affordable to spend 40% of your income on rent because you can use the huge number of trains and subways they have instead of driving.  In LA and SF there are much less public transit options and more people need cars to get to homes that are widely spread out.  So 40% of your income on rent is no longer affordable once you factor in a car payment and gas.  

Clear enough?

Video

This is a very good video. At the 4:55 mark you can see the dichotomy that is leftism. While enabling the rot that has overtaken their city, the city council members are literally laughing in the faces of angry and vocal citizens. But unfortunately, this uproar is self-inflicted because as soon as a candidate announces themselves as tough on crime, these same angry citizens who are being laughed at by their civic leaders will in turn label this new candidate as a heartless fascist, or some sort, and will then proceed to vote for another laissez-fair leftist. Leftism is a swirling bowl of brainwashed self-consumption.

Seattle only needs to hold up a mirror to see how it got this way. Feckless city leaders were allowed to do this because the citizens keep voting them in. Sorry, Seattle, but you’re stupid.
(01-20-2022, 02:51 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]

Video

This is a very good video. At the 4:55 mark you can see the dichotomy that is leftism. While enabling the rot that has overtaken their city, the city council members are literally laughing in the faces of angry and vocal citizens. But unfortunately, this uproar is self-inflicted because as soon as a candidate announces themselves as tough on crime, these same angry citizens who are being laughed at by their civic leaders will in turn label this new candidate as a heartless fascist, or some sort, and will then proceed to vote for another laissez-fair leftist. Leftism is a swirling bowl of brainwashed self-consumption.

Seattle only needs to hold up a mirror to see how it got this way. Feckless city leaders were allowed to do this because the citizens keep voting them in. Sorry, Seattle, but you’re stupid.

Simply incorrect.
You're conflating local politics with national politics. 
There are different sets of people addressing different sets of issues at each level.  
At the national level, Seattle voters favor leftists, and you identify that correctly.  
At the local level, they favor NIMBYs, whether left or right.
The NIMBYs hate high density housing.  That's the whole issue.
(01-20-2022, 03:31 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-20-2022, 02:51 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]This is a very good video. At the 4:55 mark you can see the dichotomy that is leftism. While enabling the rot that has overtaken their city, the city council members are literally laughing in the faces of angry and vocal citizens. But unfortunately, this uproar is self-inflicted because as soon as a candidate announces themselves as tough on crime, these same angry citizens who are being laughed at by their civic leaders will in turn label this new candidate as a heartless fascist, or some sort, and will then proceed to vote for another laissez-fair leftist. Leftism is a swirling bowl of brainwashed self-consumption.

Simply incorrect.
You're conflating local politics with national politics. 
There are different sets of people addressing different sets of issues at each level.  
At the national level, Seattle voters favor leftists, and you identify that correctly.  
At the local level, they favor NIMBYs, whether left or right.
The NIMBYs hate high density housing.  That's the whole issue.

Did you watch the whole video?
Pages: 1 2 3 4