Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Brandon Scherff, G, now a Jaguar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Scherff was an all pro in 2020.
$$ and years unspecified.
What do we think?
I like it. He’s a definite upgrade at either guard position.
Very excited about this signing and is an instant upgrade to our interior O-line.

30 is still young in this day and age of the NFL. Back in the 70s, 80s, or 90s though? Players his age would be looking for prosthetic limbs and bound to wheelchairs with the rules of yesteryear.
if he's healthy, he's terrific. Also a great teacher and leader for younger players.
Excellent signing.  Excellent player that fills a big need.
It all starts up front. This is an upgrade.
Welcome to thejags
(03-14-2022, 09:05 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Scherff was an all pro in 2020.
What do we think?

@I think we said the same things about Norwell when we signed him.@

Happy all around with the signings. The players are all going to fill spots with need and allow us not to darft with desperation.
I would love for this to be step 1 in the building of a dynasty.

Scherff has experience with terrible ownership, so he's already got a leg up on a lot of the other newcomers.
We'll see. Jacksonville is where aging FAs go to retire. I want to be optimistic. Years of Jaguars fandom has demonstrated to me time and time again that optimism is dangerous.

(03-15-2022, 09:23 AM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-14-2022, 09:05 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Scherff was an all pro in 2020.
What do we think?

@I think we said the same things about Norwell when we signed him.@

Happy all around with the signings. The players are all going to fill spots with need and allow us not to darft with desperation.

Scherff has experience with terrible ownership, so he's already got a leg up on a lot of the other newcomers.

Scherff also has a moderately concerning history of injury, especially a wonky MCL, and he ain't getting any younger. It would be nice to get one or two solid seasons out of him to help establish a successful foundation for TL. 

Pessimism will be my guide.
(03-15-2022, 09:27 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]We'll see. Jacksonville is where aging FAs go to retire. I want to be optimistic. Years of Jaguars fandom has demonstrated to me time and time again that optimism is dangerous.

(03-15-2022, 09:23 AM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]@I think we said the same things about Norwell when we signed him.@

Scherff also has a moderately concerning history of injury, especially a wonky MCL, and he ain't getting any younger. It would be nice to get one or two solid seasons out of him to help establish a successful foundation for TL. 

Agreed, I still keep darfting youth to assume the starting positions in time. FA like Scherff are bandaids to bide the time. Not expecting him to be a five year starter but that would be awesome if he flourishes like that. That would be playing with house money for sure.
(03-15-2022, 11:19 AM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-15-2022, 09:27 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]We'll see. Jacksonville is where aging FAs go to retire. I want to be optimistic. Years of Jaguars fandom has demonstrated to me time and time again that optimism is dangerous.

Agreed, I still keep darfting youth to assume the starting positions in time. FA like Scherff are bandaids to bide the time. Not expecting him to be a five year starter but that would be awesome if he flourishes like that. That would be playing with house money for sure.

Start Shatley at Center and keep Linder around to rotate with Scherff at guard. Between the two of them, one should be healthy at any given time.
(03-15-2022, 03:50 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-15-2022, 11:19 AM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed, I still keep darfting youth to assume the starting positions in time. FA like Scherff are bandaids to bide the time. Not expecting him to be a five year starter but that would be awesome if he flourishes like that. That would be playing with house money for sure.

Start Shatley at Center and keep Linder around to rotate with Scherff at guard. Between the two of them, one should be healthy at any given time.
At $9.5M? Doubtful. Linder is on the move via trade or release. They'll pocket that cap hit Linder would have held this year and put it towards another player on defense.

I think Shenault and Chaisson are also potentially trading candidates to pick up another $5-$6M. Plenty of draft picks to add more lineman.

They retained Robinson and Shatley. Signed Scherff. Invested a 2nd RD pick in Little last year. Could see Baalke getting a player like Goedeke at RT [former TE, quick feet] and/or Sayler at G/T in this draft to fill the swingman role.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
We should start Linder at LG

Little-Linder-Shatley-Scherff-Cam
(03-15-2022, 04:00 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]We should start Linder at LG

Little-Linder-Shatley-Scherff-Cam

That would put the best five on the field.
We pay 16M AAV for a guard. The Bucs just go and throw out a 5th rounder and get an elite one on a 2/16 contract. Why can't we ever get involved in these kind of deals?
(03-15-2022, 04:30 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]We pay 16M AAV for a guard. The Bucs just go and throw out a 5th rounder and get an elite one on a 2/16 contract. Why can't we ever get involved in these kind of deals?

No Tom Brady.
(03-15-2022, 04:30 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]We pay 16M AAV for a guard. The Bucs just go and throw out a 5th rounder and get an elite one on a 2/16 contract. Why can't we ever get involved in these kind of deals?

Tom Brady or the Jags... Take your pick.

I'll give you a hint, it's not a hard decision to make.
This is why you overspend now, give Trevor the chance to show the league he can win multiple super bowls, then once he’s taking up most the cap players will then be inclined to take discounts to play with him. But he has to prove it first, and he has 2-3 year window to get players on bored
(03-15-2022, 04:48 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]

Tom Brady or the Jags... Take your pick.

You are insinuating that the Patriorts traded an elite guard to the Bucs to do a favor to Tom Brady?
(03-15-2022, 06:44 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-15-2022, 04:48 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]Tom Brady or the Jags... Take your pick.

You are insinuating that the Patriorts traded an elite guard to the Bucs to do a favor to Tom Brady?

They certainly didn't do it to hurt him.
Pages: 1 2 3