Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Judge Acquits January 6 Defendant
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Judge Acquits January 6 Defendant: ‘Reasonably Believed’ Capitol Police Let Him In Building

On Wednesday, a federal judge acquitted a January 6 defendant on all charges after ruling that the New Mexico man “reasonably believed” he was allowed to enter the Capitol building during the protest against the 2020 election results after being let in by United States Capitol Police officers.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/judge-acq...8x3Qn-x8H4
Finally. Common sense.
I agree, if he didn't do anything aggressive while he was there, and if they can't show that he encouraged anyone else to do anything illegal or aggressive, he shouldn't be convicted. Being investigated and brought in front of a judge is punishment enough for what he did.
(04-06-2022, 08:08 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]I agree, if he didn't do anything aggressive while he was there, and if they can't show that he encouraged anyone else to do anything illegal or aggressive, he shouldn't be convicted.  Being investigated and brought in front of a judge is punishment enough for what he did.

LOL.  For months you've been insisting that everyone who entered the building was part of an "insurrection".
(04-06-2022, 09:38 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-06-2022, 08:08 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]I agree, if he didn't do anything aggressive while he was there, and if they can't show that he encouraged anyone else to do anything illegal or aggressive, he shouldn't be convicted.  Being investigated and brought in front of a judge is punishment enough for what he did.

LOL.  For months you've been insisting that everyone who entered the building was part of an "insurrection".

I know, right?!
(04-06-2022, 11:10 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-06-2022, 09:38 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]LOL.  For months you've been insisting that everyone who entered the building was part of an "insurrection".

I know, right?!

As the wind blows…
(04-06-2022, 09:38 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]

No, I've insisted that the event was an insurrection.  Anyone who caused or aggravated the event should be prosecuted.
This guy aggravated the event in a minor way.  He was prosecuted.  This guy was forced to appear in court and may have been in jail during his trial, I assume he was.  That's justice enough in this case.
People who did more, should be prosecuted AND convicted AND sentenced harshly, with their right to hold office taken away if possible.
Dude, you have said over and over how anyone who entered the building were breaking the law and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Ad nauseam.
(04-07-2022, 11:34 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]Dude, you have said over and over how anyone who entered the building were breaking the law and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Ad nauseam.

And this guy was prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
(04-07-2022, 04:58 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-06-2022, 09:38 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]LOL.  For months you've been insisting that everyone who entered the building was part of an "insurrection".

No, I've insisted that the event was an insurrection.  Anyone who caused or aggravated the event should be prosecuted.
This guy aggravated the event in a minor way.  He was prosecuted.  This guy was forced to appear in court and may have been in jail during his trial, I assume he was.  That's justice enough in this case.
People who did more, should be prosecuted AND convicted AND sentenced harshly, with their right to hold office taken away if possible.

Yet if it were ANTIFA... "it's just a peaceful protest"....
(04-08-2022, 10:01 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-07-2022, 04:58 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]No, I've insisted that the event was an insurrection.  Anyone who caused or aggravated the event should be prosecuted.

Yet if it were ANTIFA... "it's just a peaceful protest"....

No, there have certainly been violent and disruptive protests from the left and I have condemned those as well.
But the January 6 insurrection is the most serious of all because it struck at the top of the system, and threatened to overturn the whole thing.
(04-07-2022, 11:34 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]Dude, you have said over and over how anyone who entered the building were breaking the law and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Ad nauseam.

His avatar is a fake.  I just found the real one.

[Image: fd6.gif]
I think the problem is related to the charges that were brought against him: "Martin was charged with four misdemeanor counts: entering and remaining in a restricted building, disorderly and disruptive conduct in a restricted building, violent entry and disorderly conduct in a Capitol building and parading, demonstrating or picketing in a Capitol building."

A simple charge of trespassing may have been more applicable to those who did not force themselves into the building or demonstrated violence in the process.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the judgement must be made specifically in response to the charges so the judge cannot lessen the charge on his own .... (example if you are charged for Murder 1, the jury cannot find you guilt of Involuntary Manslaughter ---- the verdict must be based on the actual charges).