Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: FDA to lay out long-awaited plan banning menthol-flavored cigarettes, cigars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
FDA to lay out long-awaited plan banning menthol-flavored cigarettes, cigars

WASHINGTON — The U.S. government on Thursday will lay out its long-awaited plan to ban menthol cigarettes and flavored cigars, which have taken a disproportionate toll on Black smokers and other minorities.

https://www.heraldmailmedia.com/story/ne...6eSGOr4CEA
So black people like menthol, and smoking kills, we’re gonna ban menthol cigarettes and the black people will thank them?  How much more can you alienate your “voters”? Good gosh, the left is more dumb than I thought.  Either that, or they assume their voters are dumber than I think they are.  Either are good possibilities.  I mean ZERO offense by that.  I hope that doesn’t come off the wrong way. Just mean that democratic voters are sus in intelligence.
Obviously we allow the sale of cigarettes, and we allow the sale of menthol products. It makes no sense to allow both of these things but ban the combination of the two, menthol cigarettes.
But as soon as anyone in a Democratic party led government hears that there is a disproportionate racial or ethnic impact, they feel compelled to act.
That's all I smoked when I was killing a pack a day. Regular cigs are nasty. I did also love to smoke a good clove cigarette.
(04-30-2022, 10:33 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]That's all I smoked when I was killing a pack a day. Regular cigs are nasty. I did also love to smoke a good clove cigarette.

Clove cigarettes lolol

I haven't smoked one of those since high school.. like 30+ years ago lol

Takes me back.. Thanks for the memory jog!!

Good stuff!!
There's an old saying, "Your freedom ends at the tip of my nose."  Which means, of course, that you are free to do whatever you want as long as it doesn't affect me.  Aside from second-hand smoke, you have to ask, does smoking, and all the diseases it causes, cost me money, by filling up the hospitals and increasing health insurance costs?  Add in the way the government says hospitals cannot turn away patients who cannot pay, and that health insurance companies have to cover pre-existing conditions, and you can see how your smoking affects me financially even though I don't smoke.  So it's an open question- at what point does someone smoking affect me to the point where it is infringing on me? 

That's a worthy discussion- at what point does someone else's behavior infringe upon my rights to the point where their rights need to be restricted?

I would be just fine with the government saying health insurance companies don't have to cover self-inflicted problems, but that's not the case right now.  Once the government says society has to kick in for treatment of self-inflicted health problems, that's where the question comes up- should we just ban smoking?  Because these people who have these self-inflicted health problems are in effect reaching into my pocket and taking my money.
(05-01-2022, 03:18 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]There's an old saying, "Your freedom ends at the tip of my nose."  Which means, of course, that you are free to do whatever you want as long as it doesn't affect me.  Aside from second-hand smoke, you have to ask, does smoking, and all the diseases it causes, cost me money, by filling up the hospitals and increasing health insurance costs?  Add in the way the government says hospitals cannot turn away patients who cannot pay, and that health insurance companies have to cover pre-existing conditions, and you can see how your smoking affects me financially even though I don't smoke.  So it's an open question- at what point does someone smoking affect me to the point where it is infringing on me? 

That's a worthy discussion- at what point does someone else's behavior infringe upon my rights to the point where their rights need to be restricted?

I would be just fine with the government saying health insurance companies don't have to cover self-inflicted problems, but that's not the case right now.  Once the government says society has to kick in for treatment of self-inflicted health problems, that's where the question comes up- should we just ban smoking?  Because these people who have these self-inflicted health problems are in effect reaching into my pocket and taking my money.

The perfect argument against centralized medicine.
I'm pretty sure Obamacare has always had a carve out allowing medical insurance to charge higher rates to smokers.
(05-01-2022, 01:06 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2022, 10:33 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]That's all I smoked when I was killing a pack a day. Regular cigs are nasty. I did also love to smoke a good clove cigarette.

Clove cigarettes lolol

I haven't smoked one of those since high school.. like 30+ years ago lol

Takes me back.. Thanks for the memory jog!!

Good stuff!!

They're worth remembering!
(05-01-2022, 03:18 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]There's an old saying, "Your freedom ends at the tip of my nose."  Which means, of course, that you are free to do whatever you want as long as it doesn't affect me.  Aside from second-hand smoke, you have to ask, does smoking, and all the diseases it causes, cost me money, by filling up the hospitals and increasing health insurance costs?  Add in the way the government says hospitals cannot turn away patients who cannot pay, and that health insurance companies have to cover pre-existing conditions, and you can see how your smoking affects me financially even though I don't smoke.  So it's an open question- at what point does someone smoking affect me to the point where it is infringing on me? 

I made this same argument in an older thread regarding nationwide legalization of weed, but I was drowned out by the munching of the stoners.
(05-02-2022, 02:22 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-01-2022, 03:18 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]There's an old saying, "Your freedom ends at the tip of my nose."  Which means, of course, that you are free to do whatever you want as long as it doesn't affect me.  Aside from second-hand smoke, you have to ask, does smoking, and all the diseases it causes, cost me money, by filling up the hospitals and increasing health insurance costs?  Add in the way the government says hospitals cannot turn away patients who cannot pay, and that health insurance companies have to cover pre-existing conditions, and you can see how your smoking affects me financially even though I don't smoke.  So it's an open question- at what point does someone smoking affect me to the point where it is infringing on me? 

I made this same argument in an older thread regarding nationwide legalization of weed, but I was drowned out by the munching of the stoners.

Lol, I guess you guys haven't been paying attention. Everyone must be outside at 0600 for 30 minutes of calisthenics each day as your fat [BLEEP] are costing us money in health care. If you refuse you will be...relocated for...personal training.
(05-02-2022, 02:22 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]

And what about the millions of those people that don't ever go to the doctor?

Wow, clove cigarettes, it's been a long time since I had one of those. Former menthol smoker here too. It was Newports for a few years before I switched to regular coffin nails. Thankfully I quit that nasty habit over 20 years ago.
(05-02-2022, 03:49 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]

Wow, clove cigarettes, it's been a long time since I had one of those. Former menthol smoker here too. It was Newports for a few years before I switched to regular coffin nails. Thankfully I quit that nasty habit over 20 years ago.

I think it's funny that the government banned any flavored cigarettes like clove cigarettes in 09, citing that flavors were too enticing to the youth.... yet does nothing about the flavored vapes. ha
(05-02-2022, 03:45 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-02-2022, 02:22 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]I made this same argument in an older thread regarding nationwide legalization of weed, but I was drowned out by the munching of the stoners.

So...you're comparing an addictive substance that has been proven to have a high probability of killing you (and potentially others) with lung cancer, COPD, emphysema, etc. to not ever going to the doctor. Just clarifying.
(05-02-2022, 03:45 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-02-2022, 02:22 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]I made this same argument in an older thread regarding nationwide legalization of weed, but I was drowned out by the munching of the stoners.

Is your objection to where the line is drawn, or to having any line at all?
(05-02-2022, 05:00 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-02-2022, 03:45 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]And what about the millions of those people that don't ever go to the doctor?

So...you're comparing an addictive substance that has been proven to have a high probability of killing you (and potentially others) with lung cancer, COPD, emphysema, etc. to not ever going to the doctor. Just clarifying.

Nah, just saying there are millions of people that no matter how bad it gets refuse to go to a doctor.