Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Wow maybe we should back the hate off of Cam Robinson.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have taken my fair share of shots at Cam myself.   There are a few facts I just read that kind made me back off a bit and maybe think twice on the criticism. 

1. Cam is only 26 years old.  It kinda blew my mind when I read it because he seems like he's been a jag forever.  To put it in perspective he is close in age to many of the draftee's in this years draft.  Many draftees or 23 or 24, heck the lions drafted a 25 year old this year.   AT 26 years old he still has plenty of room to grow and probably does have his best football in front of him.

2. Cam allowed one sack all year 2021:  With all the dysfunction on this team including working with a rookie QB that is huge. 

3. Retained Talent!  This team has a bad history of not rewarding deserving players with second contracts or extensions.  Cam has been solid overall while also playing his best football last year.
I agree that there are a lot of positives to focus on, and he seems like a good character guy as well. Overall I’m happy he resigned. However, I don’t want them to neglect Walker little’s development just due to the contract. I want open competition.
I wanted to give Little a shot at LT but if he can play RT or even LG at a high level I'm good with it. Hopefully Cam will have another career year
good points, like you I had no idea he was that young; for some reason my brain equated 2x tag with 1st rounder so obviously it's his 7th season, right? Oh, wait.

His deal was surprisingly short on the bonus, only 15M over the 3 years, but the result was nearly $10M savings this year over what he'd have cost under the tag. Next year's hit is 22(!)M though, so I have to think that it's a foregone conclusion that they expect him to be the LT of this team going forward. I'm open to letting him and Little compete for the spot, but I have a feeling they'll prefer to have the high-dollar player win the premium position. I just have this hunch that if we played Cam at RT, he could be one of the best in the league.

I'll be interested in this dynamic over the next few years - how does Little handle things if he's relegated to RT? Does the team make any effort to see if he's the long-term LT before his rookie deal expires? Does Little ask to be traded before then, if he isn't getting the shot to play at LT? Does Cam's play make it unfathomable that we want anyone else at LT?
Cam's new contract makes it pretty clear the new staff and FO aren't fully bought in on the guy, but they know they could do a lot worse.

Maybe the new coach is able to help him speed up some footwork to the outside, who knows? Doubtful, but we can dream.

They might have just left him on the one year tag if it didn't turn out they needed the cap space this year so badly.
Now they have him for at least 2 years before the team can opt out and they cut his cap hit for 2022 by more than half to pay other players.

So, no, I don't think we should "hate" on the guy, but we can just do what the staff/FO are doing - which is watch him with a keen eye, ready to move on when a better opportunity comes along.
He only gave up one sack, but we all know how fluky sack numbers are on a year to year basis (plus Trevor is WAY better than any QB we have had in ages at avoiding sacks).

He still gave up the 11th most pressures of any LT and missed 4 games. Granted, that is a somewhat better than his league leading pressures he had coming into the year.

If he takes another equal step forward compared to the one we took last year then I think we probably have just about a dead even league average tackle. If the new coaching can help him take an even bigger step forward then maybe he will be close to living up to the money he has made the last couple of seasons and into the future.
He got paid, and I hope he doesn't relax in his development. It's favorable that the Jags were able to retain a player, not creating a hole. However, like other free agents, he was overpaid for his level of play. My hope is he wants to continue to get better and is a true professional.

By the Jags not taking another tackle in the draft, and giving Cam this LT-sized contract, it tells me that they feel confident in Walker Litttle competing and starting on the right side. Jawaan Taylor may compete for the spot, but his penalties, poor pass protection, and lack of growth this past season make him a longshot in my mind.
All of the Cam hatred is A-Typical of some Jaguar Fans. They have a tendency to latch onto a player, GM, HC and even the Owner to project their Personal Views on Likes, Dislikes like trying to force Mr. Khan to fire Baalke.

NH3...
been saying this since the beginning. It’s Taylor I’m worried about.
I never thought Cam Robinson was a bad player. I do think he at least early on struggled with penalties tho. The biggest problem on our O line were as follows.
AJ Cann. Literal dumpster of a player. The emobidment of Guy Whimper and somehow almost as bad.
Linder. Always injured, meaning we had backups playing often.
Jawan Taylor. Another reason not to draft a Florida Gator, the team churns out busts left and right.

Honestly, kinda wish we'da kept Norwell around.. our Guard position would have been very strong.
(05-05-2022, 03:11 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]I never thought Cam Robinson was a bad player. I do think he at least early on struggled with penalties tho. The biggest problem on our O line were as follows.
AJ Cann. Literal dumpster of a player. The emobidment of Guy Whimper and somehow almost as bad.
Linder. Always injured, meaning we had backups playing often.
Jawan Taylor. Another reason not to draft a Florida Gator, the team churns out busts left and right.

Honestly, kinda wish we'da kept Norwell around.. our Guard position would have been very strong.

Cann was a good run blocker 90% of the time. Horribly inconsistent in protection. 

Linder was a top 5 center that missed too much time and the injuries stacked up. 

Taylor is a bust so far unless he turns into a decent guard. 

I've already posted on Cam Robinson enough.
Can has 2 more years to get that massive deal.  Lets hope he builds on last season.
YOU ALL ARE SOFT. DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT HATE FOR CAM IS BAD HERE ON THIS FORUM ??? YOU ALL NEED TO GET OVER TO THE POLITICAL SECTION AND TOUGHEN YOURSELVES UP !!!

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH !!!