Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: It’s for your own good!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.” 

—C. S. Lewis, ‘God in the Dock: Essays on Theology and Ethics

This is not a steel rod I’m beating you with, I’m just showing you how much I love you…
(05-06-2022, 09:11 AM)Ronster Wrote: [ -> ]“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.” 

This is not a steel rod I’m beating you with, I’m just showing you how much I love you…

Is this regarding Roe v Wade and the religious right?
(05-06-2022, 11:48 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-06-2022, 09:11 AM)Ronster Wrote: [ -> ]“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.” 

No, it’s describing the modern day leftist and DemoRATS with a couple of RINO’s sprinkled in for good measure. But you knew that already..
(05-06-2022, 11:48 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]

Careful what you say to Ronster. It could be considered bullying or harassment!
(05-06-2022, 12:35 PM)Ronster Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-06-2022, 11:48 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]Is this regarding Roe v Wade and the religious right?

No, it’s describing the modern day leftist and DemoRATS with a couple of RINO’s sprinkled in for good measure. But you knew that already..

Why would I know that? Every time I hear any partisan talk they always claim whatever it is they want to do is actually good for the people they want to have to do it to. Republicans are not excluded from that.
lolol dude
(05-06-2022, 01:09 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-06-2022, 12:35 PM)Ronster Wrote: [ -> ]No, it’s describing the modern day leftist and DemoRATS with a couple of RINO’s sprinkled in for good measure. But you knew that already..

Why would I know that? Every time I hear any partisan talk they always claim whatever it is they want to do is actually good for the people they want to have to do it to. Republicans are not excluded from that.

You mean laws that say, prohibit murder, cause, like, that's usually a good law for a society to have? Those laws?

Every law by definition legislates some definition of 'morality'. The real question, is which side of the morality fence do people fall on?