Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: M. Wright (K) Released - Other Roster Moves
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We will always remember wright making some clutch kicks. He was part of one of the most exciting moments of the 2021 season.
What great memories for that guy. Best of luck to him.
So the UDFA rookie is that much better than Wright to where there's no competition?

NH3...
(05-11-2022, 05:07 PM)NH3 Wrote: [ -> ]So the UDFA rookie is that much better than Wright to where there's no competition?

NH3...

Most likely, yes. 

Edit: Sorry - had him confused with Myers for a second.

Not being able to reach the end zone on kickoffs sealed Wright's fate
Mixed feelings on that one. He's a little bit like the Gardner Minshew of field goal kickers. Accurate in the short to medium game but lacking deep range.
Best of luck to him

His clutch kicks were fantastic moments last season
In regards to the other new guys: Wes Martin is intriguing. Guy was solid starting some games as a rookie in 2019 and then fell off a cliff in 2020. He didn’t play much last season due to injury/COVID. He’s only 26, could be some good depth. Could just be a REALLY big body.
(05-11-2022, 05:55 PM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]In regards to the other new guys: Wes Martin is intriguing. Guy was solid starting some games as a rookie in 2019 and then fell off a cliff in 2020. He didn’t play much last season due to injury/COVID.  He’s only 26, could be some good depth. Could just be a REALLY big body.

Martin could be decent guard depth with some longshot upside. 
Former 4th round pick I believe.
(05-11-2022, 04:29 PM)Jag88 Wrote: [ -> ]We will always remember wright making some clutch kicks. He was part of one of the most exciting moments of the 2021 season.
Which is scathing commentary on the state of Jaguars football, TBH.
Its a smart move to kick the tires on Martin and Berry.
Wright was good at field goals but completely terrible at kickoffs.  I remember him as the guy who set up the other team with excellent field position.  You can't do half your job and expect to keep it.  I'm not particularly surprised at his release.
(05-11-2022, 08:27 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: [ -> ]Wright was good at field goals but completely terrible at kickoffs.  I remember him as the guy who set up the other team with excellent field position.  You can't do half your job and expect to keep it.  I'm not particularly surprised at his release.

Disagree. If the guy never misses from 55 in then let the punter kick off.
Wright was ok. We need to bring back Long Ding!
(05-11-2022, 09:13 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-11-2022, 08:27 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: [ -> ]Wright was good at field goals but completely terrible at kickoffs.  I remember him as the guy who set up the other team with excellent field position.  You can't do half your job and expect to keep it.  I'm not particularly surprised at his release.

Disagree. If the guy never misses from 55 in then let the punter kick off.

The narrative coming from beat guys is that they had to stop using Cooke on kickoffs to keep him fresh enough for all the punts late in the season. 

Wasn't sustainable.
(05-11-2022, 09:17 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]Wright was ok.  We need to bring back Long Ding!

Im already here
(05-11-2022, 09:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-11-2022, 09:13 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Disagree. If the guy never misses from 55 in then let the punter kick off.

The narrative coming from beat guys is that they had to stop using Cooke on kickoffs to keep him fresh enough for all the punts late in the season. 

Wasn't sustainable.

Lol, yeah, 10 punts a game is just to heavy a workload.

(05-11-2022, 10:06 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-11-2022, 09:17 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]Wright was ok.  We need to bring back Long Ding!

Im already here

Long Ding, not Ding Dong.
(05-11-2022, 09:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-11-2022, 09:13 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Disagree. If the guy never misses from 55 in then let the punter kick off.

Wasn't sustainable.
Wasn't he hurt more than tired?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
(05-11-2022, 10:09 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-11-2022, 09:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]The narrative coming from beat guys is that they had to stop using Cooke on kickoffs to keep him fresh enough for all the punts late in the season. 

Wasn't sustainable.

Lol, yeah, 10 punts a game is just to heavy a workload.

(05-11-2022, 10:06 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Im already here

Long Ding, not Ding Dong.

=[
(05-12-2022, 12:49 AM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-11-2022, 09:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]The narrative coming from beat guys is that they had to stop using Cooke on kickoffs to keep him fresh enough for all the punts late in the season. 

Wasn't sustainable.
Wasn't he hurt more than tired?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Ah, I think you're right. If he was  banged up and it kept him from pulling double duty, that makes more sense. 
I knew it was something besides the staff just not letting him handle the kick off - because I was angry that he wasn't kicking off until I heard there were reasons. 

Regardless - having a kicker that can do both well is ideal, and I hope they found him.
Pages: 1 2