Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Waugh Officially Hired
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(05-16-2022, 11:05 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1...0HZza71KPw

I have heard good things about him.
I like everything about it except the former relation to Baalke. Baalke probably thinks he hired a yes man, and maybe he did. Hopefully Waugh's talent and reputation make it a net positive anyway, as everyone does rave about him.
His surname seems like the Anglicized version of Patrick Roy’s. Maybe he’s a strong safety net to save us from Baalke’s bad choices.
(05-16-2022, 11:11 AM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-16-2022, 11:05 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1...0HZza71KPw

I have heard good things about him.

What good things have you heard? Just curious because I don't know much about him.
Jaguars hiring Ethan Waugh as assistant GM
https://www.news4jax.com/sports/2022/05/...istant-gm/

Welcome to Jacksonville Ethan Waugh as our new assistant GM.

NH3...
(05-16-2022, 11:13 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]I like everything about it except the former relation to Baalke. Baalke probably thinks he hired a yes man, and maybe he did. Hopefully Waugh's talent and reputation make it a net positive anyway, as everyone does rave about him.

Can we stop with the Baalke BS?  Let's judge him on what he's done here, not his past.  If I were judged on everything in my past i would get no where, nor would anyone else.  Let's see what he can do here and moving forward.
(05-16-2022, 11:35 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: [ -> ]His surname seems like the Anglicized version of Patrick Roy’s. Maybe he’s a strong safety net to save us from Baalke’s bad choices.

Patrick Roy…. Bringing back some memories.   

Is he our goalie keeping bad transactions from going through?

If not, then I ask Waugh not?
(05-16-2022, 05:44 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-16-2022, 11:35 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: [ -> ]His surname seems like the Anglicized version of Patrick Roy’s. Maybe he’s a strong safety net to save us from Baalke’s bad choices.

Haha.
(05-16-2022, 05:28 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-16-2022, 11:13 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]I like everything about it except the former relation to Baalke. Baalke probably thinks he hired a yes man, and maybe he did. Hopefully Waugh's talent and reputation make it a net positive anyway, as everyone does rave about him.

Can we stop with the Baalke BS?  Let's judge him on what he's done here, not his past.  If I were judged on everything in my past i would get no where, nor would anyone else.  Let's see what he can do here and moving forward.

Agreed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Well said.

NH3...

Screw the 'lanche, all I'm gonna say to that.

I don't think he's done a good job since he's been here either. He had probably the 2nd most say in the disastrous Chaisson/Henderson draft, the disastrous 2020 Schobert FA class, and the maybe not disastrous but extremely subpar 2021 FA class. The 2021 draft looks pretty solid but not great (Tlaw notwithstanding), with obviously a lot left to be determined.

Since Trent has been the solo man in charge he completely shattered the record for FA spending and turned one of the top amounts of draft capital into what will likely be a marginally better team, but not nearly as much better as you would expect considering the enormous amount of assets used.
(05-17-2022, 10:13 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-16-2022, 05:28 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: [ -> ]Can we stop with the Baalke BS?  Let's judge him on what he's done here, not his past.  If I were judged on everything in my past i would get no where, nor would anyone else.  Let's see what he can do here and moving forward.

I don't think he's done a good job since he's been here either. He had probably the 2nd most say in the disastrous Chaisson/Henderson draft, the disastrous 2020 Schobert FA class, and the maybe not disastrous but extremely subpar 2021 FA class. The 2021 draft looks pretty solid but not great (Tlaw notwithstanding), with obviously a lot left to be determined.

Since Trent has been the solo man in charge he completely shattered the record for FA spending and turned one of the top amounts of draft capital into what will likely be a marginally better team, but not nearly as much better as you would expect considering the enormous amount of assets used.

So may main questions are:

Why are you assuming he had the 2nd most say for the 2020 FA/Draft. Yes he was here but there is no way to know who had the most ear of Caldwell and Marrone at that time? Just because had the title of director of player personnel doesn't suggest any idea that we know what the power structure was, and how much influence he really had?

Also for 2021, given everything that has come out about Urban Meyer and how much of a control freak he is, do you really think Baalke was the one at the top of that pyramid? Yes, he deserves some criticism for the team building decisions because he may have been sway some things in a different direction, but to say he was the "solo" man and put all the blame on him is probably not accurate.
(05-17-2022, 10:13 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-16-2022, 05:28 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: [ -> ]Can we stop with the Baalke BS?  Let's judge him on what he's done here, not his past.  If I were judged on everything in my past i would get no where, nor would anyone else.  Let's see what he can do here and moving forward.

Assuming a lot of unknowns here.
(05-17-2022, 10:48 AM)Jags32250 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-17-2022, 10:13 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think he's done a good job since he's been here either. He had probably the 2nd most say in the disastrous Chaisson/Henderson draft, the disastrous 2020 Schobert FA class, and the maybe not disastrous but extremely subpar 2021 FA class. The 2021 draft looks pretty solid but not great (Tlaw notwithstanding), with obviously a lot left to be determined.

Assuming a lot of unknowns here.

7 billion people on the planet.

Our [BLEEP] team decides to hire a guy who is considered to be a piece of [BLEEP].

It's not rocket science. There are at least 200 qualified people better for this job than Baalke. They didn't even try.
(05-17-2022, 10:43 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-17-2022, 10:13 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think he's done a good job since he's been here either. He had probably the 2nd most say in the disastrous Chaisson/Henderson draft, the disastrous 2020 Schobert FA class, and the maybe not disastrous but extremely subpar 2021 FA class. The 2021 draft looks pretty solid but not great (Tlaw notwithstanding), with obviously a lot left to be determined.

So may main questions are:

Why are you assuming he had the 2nd most say for the 2020 FA/Draft. Yes he was here but there is no way to know who had the most ear of Caldwell and Marrone at that time? Just because had the title of director of player personnel doesn't suggest any idea that we know what the power structure was, and how much influence he really had?

Also for 2021, given everything that has come out about Urban Meyer and how much of a control freak he is, do you really think Baalke was the one at the top of that pyramid? Yes, he deserves some criticism for the team building decisions because he may have been sway some things in a different direction, but to say he was the "solo" man and put all the blame on him is probably not accurate.

Does our Director of Player Personnel do something different than all of the other ones in the league?  If not, his title should actually give people a very good idea what the power structure was - not that people like me know what they do in the first place.
And Meyer seemed very content to delegate just about everything in lieu of actually working, so it wouldn't surprise me if last year's draft was most influenced by Trent.

Look, I wanted Trent gone, before Meyer even got here.  I wanted him gone even more after Meyer, because it felt like Meyer vouched for Baalke when Meyer was brought in - I mean, it really felt like Urban kept him to be a yes man.  And after 5 consecutive years of being involved in toxic environments, it seemed like including Trent in the house-cleaning was a no-brainer.

All that said, Trent is still here and I am sooo over his past performances at this point.  Like it or not, he's our GM, and I hope he brings us multiple pro-bowl and all-pro players over the next 10-15 years of wildly sustained success.  And, along with Doug, hopefully some championships!
He has the opportunity to change my opinion, though I don't expect much in that regard.

Best Goalie of All-Time.  Dude was clutch in big games.

The Puck Stops Here.  Waugh's save rate is 0.9552374
Pages: 1 2 3