Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Are cops heroes?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In Uvalde, two local police officers were on the scene and saw the shooter enter the school with a rifle.  These two cops stayed outside.  The news is saying they did help kids in other classrooms escape, but details are lacking.  It was Border Patrol that finally decided to confront the gunman, 40 minutes later.
In Parkland, the school resource officer ran the other way and did literally nothing to help the situation.
In Columbine, same story as Parkland.
In Orlando, in contrast, officers immediately pursued the shooter into the club but he retreated into a bathroom and held hostages.  

How can we make sure more cops act valiantly like the Orlando cops?

If cops want us to treat them like heroes, shouldn't they act like heroes?

I think this "get home alive" training needs to stop.  Roofing is a more dangerous line of work than policing.
Cops are just humans doing an almost impossible job in today's environment. I know some officers and not a one of them consider themselves or wish to be looked upon as heroes.

Oh, by the way, not to many roofers stand the chance off being shot dead during their shift simply for doing their job.. That was, as your usual, a completely naive statement.

(05-26-2022, 09:40 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]In Uvalde, two local police officers were on the scene and saw the shooter enter the school with a rifle.  These two cops stayed outside.  The news is saying they did help kids in other classrooms escape, but details are lacking.  It was Border Patrol that finally decided to confront the gunman, 40 minutes later.
In Parkland, the school resource officer ran the other way and did literally nothing to help the situation.
In Orlando, in contrast, officers immediately pursued the shooter into the club but he retreated into a bathroom and held hostages.  

I think this "get home alive" training needs to stop.  Roofing is a more dangerous line of work than policing.

Based on your narrative of examples, it sounds like all police/officers should assume that the potential victims/hostages are gay. Then all will charge in bravely to rescue and defend.

Resource officers/security guards are not 'police', why are they included here? The only security force I've seen that is worth anything is at Disney World, but then those guys are retired military / police. Used to talk to them in the tunnels and have seen them in action many times when i worked at Disney in the 70's. They are masters at taking down and disappearing unruly 'guests'. Hire those military types at schools, make sure they are mentally healthy, allow them to be appropriately armed, let them do their job without fear of legal retribution, and school shootings should decrease.
(05-26-2022, 09:55 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-26-2022, 09:40 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]In Uvalde, two local police officers were on the scene and saw the shooter enter the school with a rifle.  These two cops stayed outside.  The news is saying they did help kids in other classrooms escape, but details are lacking.  It was Border Patrol that finally decided to confront the gunman, 40 minutes later.

Based on your narrative of examples, it sounds like all police/officers should assume that the potential victims/hostages are gay.  Then all will charge in bravely to rescue and defend.

Resource officers/security guards are not 'police', why are they included here?  The only security force I've seen that is worth anything is at Disney World, but then those guys are retired military / police.  Used to talk to them in the tunnels and have seen them in action many times when i worked at Disney in the 70's.  They are masters at taking down and disappearing unruly 'guests'.  Hire those military types at schools, make sure they are mentally healthy, allow them to be appropriately armed, and school shootings should decrease.

A buddy of mine used to work security for Jags games and other events and he told me the company has a small group of guys who did the same thing. He said they’re very adept at using subtle but effective control techniques capable of quickly getting a situation under control and out of sight. They’re not big hulking bouncer looking dudes either.
Sometimes, just like all other people.
(05-26-2022, 09:55 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]

Based on your narrative of examples, it sounds like all police/officers should assume that the potential victims/hostages are gay.  Then all will charge in bravely to rescue and defend.

Resource officers/security guards are not 'police', why are they included here?  The only security force I've seen that is worth anything is at Disney World, but then those guys are retired military / police.  Used to talk to them in the tunnels and have seen them in action many times when i worked at Disney in the 70's.  They are masters at taking down and disappearing unruly 'guests'.  Hire those military types at schools, make sure they are mentally healthy, allow them to be appropriately armed, let them do their job without fear of legal retribution, and school shootings should decrease.

School resource officers generally are also cops. They are generally cops plus extra training and responsibilities, not cops minus any training or responsibility.
Our SROs are either Sheriff Deputies or School Board Police. Both are sworn.
Could some of them be cops that are either retired and are double-dipping, or left the force for whatever reason? If so, they may just not be as emotionally invested in their job at that point in their life. Or they are just ill equipped/trained to handle an active shooter situation, which I find hard to believe if they are ex-cops. If they are actively employed cops, then they are a sad bunch of cops. Personally, I'd hire the ex-military, but school boards probably can't afford either the money or bad publicity that might cost.

The part in bold is incorrect.  There was an officer on the scene who engaged with the shooter and got shot himself.  Once the shooter got into the building it went into lockdown and they couldn't quite get in so they started breaking windows to attempt to rescue as many people as they could.
The resource officers that I remember from when my kid was in school all looked like they had one foot out the door for retirement or were put in the school because they weren’t in shape for active duty.
(05-26-2022, 11:38 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: [ -> ]The resource officers that I remember from when my kid was in school all looked like they had one foot out the door for retirement or were put in the school because they weren’t in shape for active duty.

Ours was a 45 year old Deputy who also coached football and weightlifting. He was not a person I would mess with.
(05-26-2022, 11:38 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: [ -> ]The resource officers that I remember from when my kid was in school all looked like they had one foot out the door for retirement or were put in the school because they weren’t in shape for active duty.

I had always thought that’s what the resource officer role was used for. My experience in the Navy was for people who couldn’t/wouldn’t perform to standards were sent to do jobs no one else wanted or there were no manning billets to fill it. When I asked my kids why that same resource officer was at their school after a couple of years they looked at me funny and said “That’s his job”. Most of the students looked like they could have taken this guy out.
This comes from an overuse of the word, hero. Nurses aren't heroes. Cops aren't heroes. Soldiers aren't heroes. That title needs to be earned. Doing your job doesn't automatically qualify you, and you don't know who the heroes are until they are faced with overwhelming odds. Maybe we should all tone down the rhetoric.
you cant just lump an entire group into hero status. theres probably hundreds of thousands of them. you cant put them all in a single group except cop. plenty of them have done nothing to earn it. theres crappy cops everywhere.
(05-26-2022, 12:03 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]

I had always thought that’s what the resource officer role was used for. My experience in the Navy was for people who couldn’t/wouldn’t perform to standards were sent to do jobs no one else wanted or there were no manning billets to fill it. When I asked my kids why that same resource officer was at their school after a couple of years they looked at me funny and said “That’s his job”. Most of the students looked like they could have taken this guy out.

The one that used to be at Stanton, I think my 5’2 tiny little self could have taken him out!
(05-26-2022, 12:12 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]This comes from an overuse of the word, hero. Nurses aren't heroes. Cops aren't heroes. Soldiers aren't heroes. That title needs to be earned. Doing your job doesn't automatically qualify you, and you don't know who the heroes are until they are faced with overwhelming odds. Maybe we should all tone down the rhetoric.

Gawd, that is no lie. I do a little internal eyeroll every time I hear that word thrown around. But that’s a symptom of today’s everyone-gets-a-medal society.
(05-26-2022, 12:35 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-26-2022, 12:12 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]This comes from an overuse of the word, hero. Nurses aren't heroes. Cops aren't heroes. Soldiers aren't heroes. That title needs to be earned. Doing your job doesn't automatically qualify you, and you don't know who the heroes are until they are faced with overwhelming odds. Maybe we should all tone down the rhetoric.

Gawd, that is no lie. I do a little internal eyeroll every time I hear that word thrown around. But that’s a symptom of today’s everyone-gets-a-medal society.

Participation Trophy generation!

Sadly, this.

Except for Duval Pride Message Board Moderator. That one clearly falls into the category of Hero.

We had two "officers" at my high school.  One was an actual police officer (overweight) and the other was an unarmed civilian (we used to call him a narc).  The police officer actually lived in a mobile home on school property.
Pages: 1 2