Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Governor applies line item veto to long term birth control subsidy.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A lot of you may not know, but laws restricting abortion have been shown to have only a small impact on the rate that women get the procedure at.  
Meanwhile, it has been shown that being offered long term birth control at an affordable price drastically reduces the rate of abortion.   
Why then did our self proclaimed pro life governor DeSantis make this decision?
I agree, this is pretty dumb
How about girls keep their legs closed or they teach girls how to instruct men on how to pull out.

And with over a thousand pull outs to my name I guarantee its efficacy.
(06-06-2022, 09:14 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]How about girls keep their legs closed or they teach girls how to instruct men on how to pull out.

What the actual [BLEEP] is wrong with you
(06-06-2022, 09:14 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]How about girls keep their legs closed or they teach girls how to instruct men on how to pull out.

I admit to LOL'ing at this.

Btw, is this Gene Simmons under the alias TrivialPursuit?

Seriously, I'm assuming that DeSantis doesn't want the government to be accused of promoting sexual permissiveness. Plus, what if the BC fails? If such a thing could be proven, then the government could possibly be legally responsible for the birth and support of the child up to some certain age. there are probably a ton of potential legal entanglements involved here that i'm not even aware of.
(06-06-2022, 10:51 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]

I figured you say something like "You have to be pulling out of a female for it to matter."

Seriously, (1) I'm assuming that DeSantis doesn't want the government to be accused of promoting sexual permissiveness.  Plus, what if the BC fails?  (2) If such a thing could be proven, then the government could possibly be legally responsible for the birth and support of the child up to some certain age.  there are probably a ton of potential legal entanglements involved here that i'm not even aware of.

I believe 1.  That's a dumb reason to refuse to prevent abortion, but it is a reason people like DeSantis have resorted to in the past.

But 2 is ludicrous. The government is already responsible for kids the mom didn't want anyhow.
(06-06-2022, 11:16 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-06-2022, 10:51 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]I admit to LOL'ing at this. 

Seriously, (1) I'm assuming that DeSantis doesn't want the government to be accused of promoting sexual permissiveness.  Plus, what if the BC fails?  (2) If such a thing could be proven, then the government could possibly be legally responsible for the birth and support of the child up to some certain age.  there are probably a ton of potential legal entanglements involved here that i'm not even aware of.

I believe 1.  That's a dumb reason to refuse to prevent abortion, but it is a reason people like DeSantis have resorted to in the past.

But 2 is ludicrous. The government is already responsible for kids the mom didn't want anyhow.

Well, if they are already responsible for unwanted births that they weren't even involved with creating, then why is it ludicrous that they would be on the hook legally for a policy that they actively contribute to that then fails and causes unintended results?
(06-06-2022, 01:03 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-06-2022, 11:16 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]I believe 1.  That's a dumb reason to refuse to prevent abortion, but it is a reason people like DeSantis have resorted to in the past.

Well, if they are already responsible for unwanted births that they weren't even involved with creating, then why is it ludicrous that they would be on the hook legally for a policy that they actively contribute to that then fails and causes unintended results?

I'm saying they would be equally responsible either way.  Either way the mother receives welfare and won't have grounds to sue.

Seriously, I'm assuming that DeSantis doesn't want the government to be accused of promoting sexual permissiveness.  Plus, what if the BC fails?  If such a thing could be proven, then the government could possibly be legally responsible for the birth and support of the child up to some certain age.  there are probably a ton of potential legal entanglements involved here that i'm not even aware of.

Everyone knows BC is not 100% effective and there are plenty of warnings in the paperwork that says as much. If lawsuits were predicated on BC failure the manufacturers would have been sued out of business a long time ago. 

As for DeSantis and his mindset here.....that's beating a dead horse and no one in their right mind sees the government as promoting sexual permissiveness. Unless it's the ultra conservatives who should thank God BC exists so fewer abortions are/would be performed.