Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: How San Francisco Became a Failed City
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
That's a very good article. My experience with San Franscisco was in the 80s and 90s. It truly is a beautiful city. Although I'm not wired to live in such a place, I always enjoyed its eclectic oddness. While my ethos wasn't exactly aligned with what the city represented, I never detected a moral disconnect. Right and wrong was still clearly defined on a pragmatic scale and it showed in the city's cleanliness and order. Sadly, extreme progressivism has taken that away and turned it into a self-consuming pit where even basic human decency has been sacrificed on the altar of ideological rot. I sincerely hope it can recover to the once grand city it was.
The entire state of California presents an interesting dichotomy. In terms of its ability to produce economically valuable entertainment and technology, in terms of its ability to attract and maintain talent, it's never been better and is still getting better. In terms of habitable space and quality of life, it's getting much worse.
(06-09-2022, 08:38 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]The entire state of California presents an interesting dichotomy.  In terms of its ability to produce economically valuable entertainment and technology, in terms of its ability to attract and maintain talent, it's never been better and is still getting better.  In terms of habitable space and quality of life, it's getting much worse.

Its magnificent geology and climate will always draw people. Unfortunately they’ve lost the ability to manage it all.
Nice place for a few fuel/air bombs IMO.
The same thing that killed Detroit and Baltimore...
(06-09-2022, 09:27 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-09-2022, 08:38 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]The entire state of California presents an interesting dichotomy.  In terms of its ability to produce economically valuable entertainment and technology, in terms of its ability to attract and maintain talent, it's never been better and is still getting better.  In terms of habitable space and quality of life, it's getting much worse.

Its magnificent geology and climate will always draw people. Unfortunately they’ve lost the ability to manage it all.

It's not a question of ability, it's a question of will.
 The article mentions some things that I would take as hopeful signs. One, the YIMBYs are gaining converts and decisions are starting to go their way.  Two, the recent election results plainly show that they are starting to value simple good policy over virtue signalling and ideological purity tests.  Of course none of us want to follow California's trends, but it would be nice if this particular trend made its way to national politics.

I also think California and big cities west of the Mississippi in general get too much blame for the obvious social problems they have.  We tend to ignore the fact that most of the homeless in Portland or Seattle or SF aren't from those cities.  There are other, more rural communities that create these dysfunctional people who then get attracted to places where handouts and drugs are easier to come by.  There are no easy answers here, and the leftists in city government tend to make these problems worse, but typically the problems are coming from elsewhere.  Even here in Orlando where we do not allow urban camping or free needles or many of these other aggravating things, we still attract a lot of people to come without enough money to take care of themselves and they end up homeless. I just walked 4 or 5 blocks in downtown Orlando and saw about one homeless person per block.  Did Orlando do something bad for it to be that way? I doubt it.
I would not call it a failed city. While the cost of living is sky high, so are the Corp Salaries. As such, if you are highly educated or significantly business savvy it's a great place for those who are actually some of the most successful people in the US. If I were younger, SF would definitely be on my list of potential areas to start my career (although San Diego would be ahead due to the abundance of sunshine and warmer weather year round).
I'm pretty sure you could add any reason why SF and most of entire state is a complete disaster zone, and be fairly accurate.

People
Politicians
Feces
Wokeness
Earthquakes
Bigfoot
Fires
(06-09-2022, 11:59 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]The same thing that killed Detroit and Baltimore...

That's an ignorant comment. Those three cities aren't suffering from the same things, and the different things they suffer from all have different causes.
Baltimore and Detroit actually have abandoned and condemned homes because so many people moved out of certain areas that there was no money to maintain many of the homes.
SF doesn't have that, not even close.  Very few abandoned buildings at all.
They are at different stages, dimwit. When things get bad enough, people will move out of SF. Until they change their policies, things will get worse. It is the same thing that happened in Detroit and Baltimore, more or less.
(06-09-2022, 08:00 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]They are at different stages, dimwit. When things get bad enough, people will move out of SF. Until they change their policies, things will get worse. It is the same thing that happened in Detroit and Baltimore, more or less.

Those are very different stories.  Baltimore lost some factories but mostly suburbanized just like Jacksonville and many other cities. There are terrible run down neighborhoods in both places.  
Detroit also suburbanized but also lost people overall due to massive reductions in car factory payrolls.
Detroit, Baltimore, and Jacksonville all have similar stories of dilapidation and white flight.  The white flight was of course due to forced desegregation.  It was still socially acceptable to say that black kids were dumber and the fewer black kids your white kid had in his class, the better off he would be, so, flee to the next town or county over to escape the latest NAACP lawsuit.
None of these stories took place in San Francisco, or Portland, or Seattle.  They're just totally different places with their own history and problems.  And they will remain so.
OR... maybe... just maybe, we are seeing a pattern of destructive blue policies that destroy these places. I know you would have to stop digesting the [BLEEP] you constantly eat from the MSM for you to actually entertain that idea, but I'm still hopeful.
(06-09-2022, 09:01 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]OR... maybe... just maybe, we are seeing a pattern of destructive blue policies that destroy these places. I know you would have to stop digesting the [BLEEP] you constantly eat from the MSM for you to actually entertain that idea, but I'm still hopeful.

Who implemented blue policies in Jacksonville?
(06-09-2022, 11:59 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]The same thing that killed Detroit and Baltimore...

I don't think so.  The only things San Francisco and Detroit have in common is that they are both cities and they have both been run by Democrats.  Other than that, the reasons for their failures are different.  San Francisco's problems are homelessness and crime.  Detroit's problem is that large swaths of it are abandoned and decaying, and the city went bankrupt due to white flight and political corruption.  

I think San Francisco is fixable.   If the voters continue to rebel against extreme political progressivism, policy changes can make a huge difference.  Prosecute crime vigorously, and stop the policies that attract the homeless and the drug addicts into the city.  In the case of Detroit, I'm not sure it can be fixed so easily.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottbeyer/...87c9313fbe
White flight doesn't just happen. You and Mikey keep conveniently leaving out everything before that. Bad policy rooted in idealism precipitated the collapse of those cities. Same thing is happening in SF. We can bicker about the details, but it's the same thing. 20 years from now, some well intentioned idiot is going to blame corruption and white flight for the fall of SF.
(06-10-2022, 06:26 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]

I don't think so.  The only things San Francisco and Detroit have in common is that they are both cities and they have both been run by Democrats.  

And you've found the reason.

/thread
(06-10-2022, 09:38 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]White flight doesn't just happen. You and Mikey keep conveniently leaving out everything before that. Bad policy rooted in idealism precipitated the collapse of those cities. Same thing is happening in SF. We can bicker about the details, but it's the same thing. 20 years from now, some well intentioned idiot is going to blame corruption and white flight for the fall of SF.

Enlighten us.

(06-10-2022, 10:39 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-10-2022, 06:26 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think so.  The only things San Francisco and Detroit have in common is that they are both cities and they have both been run by Democrats.  

And you've found the reason.

/thread

So how do you account for Jacksonville's problems?
(06-10-2022, 10:46 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-10-2022, 09:38 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]White flight doesn't just happen. You and Mikey keep conveniently leaving out everything before that. Bad policy rooted in idealism precipitated the collapse of those cities. Same thing is happening in SF. We can bicker about the details, but it's the same thing. 20 years from now, some well intentioned idiot is going to blame corruption and white flight for the fall of SF.

Enlighten us.

(06-10-2022, 10:39 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]And you've found the reason.

/thread

So how do you account for Jacksonville's problems?

Lol, from 1893 to 1991 every mayor was a Democrat. FOUR (4) Republican mayors in 100 years and all of those in the last 20 with one of them (Austin) changing parties to win his second term. Do you not even have time to use your Wiki-Fu to answer your questions before you make yourself look ig'nant? Be better young man.
It just goes to show that EVERYTHING that the Democrats touch turns to GARBAGE... Only ignorant people or people that hate this country still vote for them. The caveat is also people that gain financially because of their policies, you know the elites
Pages: 1 2