Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: AV peeps, need advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So a few years ago I bought an out of the box 5.1 3D blah blah blah Yamaha surround sound system.

Lately, it's been on the fritz. Shuts off, won't thruput signal, etc. 

My question is, can I keep the 5.1 speakers that came with it and just replace the receiver with an Onkyo or something from best buy? They come with like 700+ Watts of power. I would just assume I would need to keep the volume down?

I figured I'd ask before I did something stupid and spent $5k at Bestbuy  :thanks:

Wish I could help, but I have no clue what you are talking about.

Yes, speakers are interchangeable.

And yes, you'll blow them if they can't handle the wattage.

Dblpst
Love me some Yamaha.. I have an M80 Yamaha Power Amp with an Onkyo pre amp.. Best thing, sliced bread..
Quote:Wish I could help, but I have no clue what you are talking about.
Well, thanks for nothing! Smile

Quote:Yes, speakers are interchangeable.

And yes, you'll blow them if they can't handle the wattage.
Yeah, that's what I assumed. I'm guessing it's 700 spread among the 4. Hope they don't 'esplode
Quote:So a few years ago I bought an out of the box 5.1 3D blah blah blah Yamaha surround sound system.

My question is, can I keep the 5.1 speakers that came with it and just replace the receiver with an Onkyo or something from best buy? They come with like 700+ Watts of power. I would just assume I would need to keep the volume down?

I figured I'd ask before I did something stupid and spent $5k at Bestbuy  :thanks:

Yes you could use the speakers with another system.  I wouldn't worry too much about the wattage output of the receiver even if it's higher than the speakers are rated for... as long as you don't go full volume all the time.

My question to you is, why not get your receiver repaired?  From what you describe it would probably be a relatively inexpensive repair.  If you decide to go with a new unit, I'll gladly take the one that's "on the fritz" off your hands if you're going to throw it away.

It wasn't that long ago that someone gave me a pretty nice Yamaha receiver/tuner that had similar symptoms to yours.  I replaced a few capacitors in it for a grand total of about $10 and gave it to my son.  He's still using it today.
Quote:So a few years ago I bought an out of the box 5.1 3D blah blah blah Yamaha surround sound system.

Yes, you'll be fine.
Quote:
Yes you could use the speakers with another system.  I wouldn't worry too much about the wattage output of the receiver even if it's higher than the speakers are rated for... as long as you don't go full volume all the time.

Quote:<p style="font-size:14px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);"> 

<p style="font-size:14px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);">My question to you is, why not get your receiver repaired?  From what you describe it would probably be a relatively inexpensive repair.  If you decide to go with a new unit, I'll gladly take the one that's "on the fritz" off your hands if you're going to throw it away.

<p style="font-size:14px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);"> 

<p style="font-size:14px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);">It wasn't that long ago that someone gave me a pretty nice Yamaha receiver/tuner that had similar symptoms to yours.  I replaced a few capacitors in it for a grand total of about $10 and gave it to my son.  He's still using it today.

<p style="margin:0px;">I bought a new one... has bluetooth connectivity and a few other neat bits. I'm going to look into the guts of the old one. From what I was reading though is it sounds like the HDMI boards are garbage on these Yamahas. If I don't get it running, be my guest. I'll PM ya and let ya know.

<p style="margin:0px;"> 

<p style="margin:0px;">Spent a good portion of my afternoon re-wiring my system...freaking dust bunnies everywhere!

<p style="margin:0px;"> 

<p style="margin:0px;">Thanks for the input guys!

Best advice is to find a forum where tekkies about that kind of thing can help better. I agree that based upon output, the speakers should be compatible. Look at the rating of the speakers, and then match the system to that, if that's the road you choose. 

As far as electronics in general go, dust is public enemy #1. Keep it out of any electronics, and you will extend their lives exponentially. Dust and debris is like a blanket and holds in the heat. Heat is what ultimately kills components. If you have an air compressor, routinely blow the dust out of your electronics. If you do not, buy an air duster can and do it that way. Even a vacuum will help keep out the bad stuff. 

Don't know much about this, but I hope this helped a bit. 

I don't know if your Yamaha is like mine, but you can switch from Auto Class A 8 ohm to 4 ohm.. So as long as your speakers can handle it.. If not, could be a disaster..
Anyone with any suggesting for wiring rear speakers but don't want to go through the attic?  I used to run them along the baseboards when we had carpet but now we have hard wood.  Thoughts????

Quote:Best advice is to find a forum where tekkies about that kind of thing can help better. I agree that based upon output, the speakers should be compatible. Look at the rating of the speakers, and then match the system to that, if that's the road you choose. 

As far as electronics in general go, dust is public enemy #1. Keep it out of any electronics, and you will extend their lives exponentially. Dust and debris is like a blanket and holds in the heat. Heat is what ultimately kills components. If you have an air compressor, routinely blow the dust out of your electronics. If you do not, buy an air duster can and do it that way. Even a vacuum will help keep out the bad stuff. 

Don't know much about this, but I hope this helped a bit. 
Yeah, I agree. I buy those air cans in bulk. Even so, there's tons of dust back there! Need to make it a monthly chore to get in there and clean it all out.

Quote:I don't know if your Yamaha is like mine, but you can switch from Auto Class A 8 ohm to 4 ohm.. So as long as your speakers can handle it.. If not, could be a disaster..
The new one is an Onkyo. It works with speakers from 6-16 Ohm. Not sure what the Yamaha speakers are but...they work! Smile

Quote:Anyone with any suggesting for wiring rear speakers but don't want to go through the attic?  I used to run them along the baseboards when we had carpet but now we have hard wood.  Thoughts????
Wireless? Sounds like your best bet.
Quote:The new one is an Onkyo. It works with speakers from 6-16 Ohm. Not sure what the Yamaha speakers are but...they work! Smile

Good deal. I had to learn that the hard way. I went out to best buy about 8 years ago and bought a pair of 15"x3 Cerwin Vegas and ran em on Auto Class B instead of A.. Heated up my amp a bunch so I had a custom circuit fan installed over the fins in the amp. Kept it nice and cool, but didn't realize I was pushing 4 ohms cause of the wrong setting. Cost me close to $600 because I toasted the voice coils on both.

But, now that I have the correct settings, I'm pushing another pair of 15" Vegas and 4 12"x3 MTX.. Handles like a champ..
Quote:Yeah, I agree. I buy those air cans in bulk. Even so, there's tons of dust back there! Need to make it a monthly chore to get in there and clean it all out.

You're doing the right thing, but those air duster cans get expensive over time. Think about looking for a small, inexpensive air compressor online or at a flea market. You can probably have a permanent solution to cleaning for about the same price as a bulk pack of air duster cans. Just a suggestion. Smile
Quote:Good deal. I had to learn that the hard way. I went out to best buy about 8 years ago and bought a pair of 15"x3 Cerwin Vegas and ran em on Auto Class B instead of A.. Heated up my amp a bunch so I had a custom circuit fan installed over the fins in the amp. Kept it nice and cool, but didn't realize I was pushing 4 ohms cause of the wrong setting. Cost me close to $600 because I toasted the voice coils on both.

But, now that I have the correct settings, I'm pushing another pair of 15" Vegas and 4 12"x3 MTX.. Handles like a champ..
In your house? That's rocking man!
Quote:In your house? That's rocking man!

Sure nuff.. Been piecing it together now for about 15 years.
Going to your place for the Chargers game :thumbsup:

Quote:Going to your place for the Chargers game :thumbsup:

I'd welcome ya, but it's not a home theater. Just a house system. My home theater is ok, nothing to write home about though.
The Energy Take 5.1 speaker package is a dream and very affordable if you wanted to upgrade from the old speakers. I had a yamaha, but it died on my so I got a new pioneer, which to my surprise pushed more wattage to the speakers and is a lot easier to manipulate sound using their MCACC system.