Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Got em!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Sunday we are processing our 100 meat chickens, they're in a fully enclosed car port I converted into a 2nd coop since I only raise them about 16 weeks before processing. However my egg laying chickens free range during the day in a 24x24 open air pen and then sleep i a raised 12x12 I built a few years ago. 

I've had a predator killing my free range chicken for the last three days. Finally trapped the damn racoon tonight, I'll usher him off to the great garbage pill in the sky in the morning but damn I really hate this critter. He killed 12 of my girls in three days hope he suffers tonight.
Death to the trash panda!
(07-14-2022, 10:31 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Death to the trash panda!

Yes death to the trash panda!
(07-14-2022, 09:39 PM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]Sunday we are processing our 100 meat chickens, they're in a fully enclosed car port I converted into a 2nd coop since I only raise them about 16 weeks before processing. However my egg laying chickens free range during the day in a 24x24 open air pen and then sleep i a raised 12x12 I built a few years ago. 

I've had a predator killing my free range chicken for the last three days. Finally trapped the damn racoon tonight, I'll usher him off to the great garbage pill in the sky in the morning but damn I really hate this critter. He killed 12 of my girls in three days hope he suffers tonight.

When you "process" chickens, where do you put all the feathers, and guts, and head?
(07-15-2022, 05:05 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-14-2022, 09:39 PM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]Sunday we are processing our 100 meat chickens, they're in a fully enclosed car port I converted into a 2nd coop since I only raise them about 16 weeks before processing. However my egg laying chickens free range during the day in a 24x24 open air pen and then sleep i a raised 12x12 I built a few years ago. 

When you "process" chickens, where do you put all the feathers, and guts, and head?

The heads I put in a trash bag and toss out at the local dump the other stuff just dump in my woods it decomposes fast enough

...and then leave the carcass in the dumpster as a warning to the others, kind of Vlad the Impaler style

compost?

My granddad raised homing pigeons and when they got old and slow, they went into the spaghetti. I can remember cleaning the coops as a teen, and all the piled poop, feathers, and miscellaneous debris cleaned out ended up in the compost bin. No idea what he did on slaughterday. Mom said that the squawking noise the birds made gave her nightmares as a kid.
[Image: Trashp.jpeg]
(07-15-2022, 09:04 AM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]

...and then leave the carcass in the dumpster as a warning to the others, kind of Vlad the Impaler style

(07-15-2022, 05:05 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]When you "process" chickens, where do you put all the feathers, and guts, and head?

compost?

That's a great way to get rats in your compost.  It probably ought to be buried in the ground.  If he's putting it out in the woods, he's luring in and feeding the raccoons who are killing his chickens.

That goes into the blender and then gets sold to McDonald's to make McNuggets.
About 25 years ago, I used to work with a guy who would eat those things.. He had racoon ribs one night for dinner and brought in leftovers to work the next day for lunch.

He stuck them in the microwave to reheat them and after about a minute, there was this god awful smell, it smelled putrid and rotten..

Not only did he eat those ribs in the breakroom, he also made a couple people vomit and the they had to throw away that microwave..

I still smell it..
(07-15-2022, 10:35 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]About 25 years ago, I used to work with a guy who would eat those things.. He had racoon ribs one night for dinner and brought in leftovers to work the next day for lunch.

He stuck them in the microwave to reheat them and after about a minute, there was this god awful smell, it smelled putrid and rotten..

Not only did he eat those ribs in the breakroom, he also made a couple people vomit and the they had to throw away that microwave..

I still smell it..

Was his name Jed or Jethro?
(07-15-2022, 10:38 AM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-15-2022, 10:35 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]About 25 years ago, I used to work with a guy who would eat those things.. He had racoon ribs one night for dinner and brought in leftovers to work the next day for lunch.

I still smell it..

Was his name Jed or Jethro?

Eugene.. Old alcoholic guy..
(07-15-2022, 10:40 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-15-2022, 10:38 AM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: [ -> ]Was his name Jed or Jethro?

Eugene.. Old alcoholic guy..

I was thinking of the Beverly Hillbillies when they scoop the road kill for dinner.
(07-15-2022, 10:56 AM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-15-2022, 10:40 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]Eugene.. Old alcoholic guy..

I was thinking of the Beverly Hillbillies when they scoop the road kill for dinner.

We definitely made that comparison quite a few times

I still smell it..

Some people just can't perceive bad smells and bad tastes.  
That raccoon tasted bad and smelled bad because it was eating trash.  If he had brined it for a day or two it would have been much better.  Or better yet, capture it alive and feed it apples and corn cobs for a day or two before dispatching it.

I still smell it..

This is so Appalachia it hurts
(07-15-2022, 01:30 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]

I still smell it..

Some people just can't perceive bad smells and bad tastes.  
That raccoon tasted bad and smelled bad because it was eating trash.  If he had brined it for a day or two it would have been much better.  Or better yet, capture it alive and feed it apples and corn cobs for a day or two before dispatching it.

I'm country but damn I ain't that country I'd never eat a trash panda

I still smell it..

Sounds like he was fresh out of having any [BLEEP] left to give.

I didn't realize that raccoons would kill chickens.  I would have maybe thought either a bobcat or a coyote would be getting to them.  My dog ran off a bobcat that was in our back yard about a month ago and just the last couple of weeks I have seen a couple of coyotes near the house.  I took a shot at one of them about a week ago.
(07-16-2022, 10:25 AM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]

I didn't realize that raccoons would kill chickens.  I would have maybe thought either a bobcat or a coyote would be getting to them.  My dog ran off a bobcat that was in our back yard about a month ago and just the last couple of weeks I have seen a couple of coyotes near the house.  I took a shot at one of them about a week ago.

Literally everything eats chickens, however racoons do it for sport. You'll find headless chickens and it's usually a racoon that took the head and left the body. 

My biggest surprise was when I had to kill a possum I caught eating one of my chickens. 

I've killed wild dogs, foxes, possums, racoons, snakes, and hawks all going after my chicken. Granted when you have a couple hundred at a time it attracts lots of hungry predators. 

I saw a black bear once but figured if he was hungry ain't much I could do to stop him. Strangely enough he didn't take any with him.
Pages: 1 2