Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Man-made climate crisis?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The hotter temperatures are making headlines with the source of the heat all but decided as man-made. Curiously, no one seems to mention the sun is in the middle of increased activity which is having huge effects on low Earth orbit satellites. Why is no one making a connection between increased solar activity and higher temperatures on the Earth?

Unexpected solar weather is causing satellites to plummet from orbit | Space

The Sun Is Way More Active Than It Should Be Before Its Big Solar Peak (newsweek.com)

Solar storm knocks out 40 newly launched SpaceX satellites | Reuters
Because the sun doesn't have a political agenda. Yet.
Solar weather is an important factor of course and may be the cause of the recent heatwave.
However we have registered record high temperature years, in years where solar output was not very high. Extra CO2 in the atmosphere and the extra water vapor it can allow in the atmosphere is the only plausible explanation for this observation.
Media gets caught up in the temperature on individual days. Some of these records are unprecedented sure but it's the average temperature that's important. The difference between weather and climate usually gets conflated.
(07-24-2022, 11:22 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]The hotter temperatures are making headlines with the source of the heat all but decided as man-made. Curiously, no one seems to mention the sun is in the middle of increased activity which is having huge effects on low Earth orbit satellites. Why is no one making a connection between increased solar activity and higher temperatures on the Earth?

The Sun Is Way More Active Than It Should Be Before Its Big Solar Peak (newsweek.com)

Because they are unrelated.  Solar ejections have no impact on the surface temperature of the Earth.

https://climate.nasa.gov/faq/14/is-the-s...l-warming/
(07-24-2022, 05:49 PM)captivating Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-24-2022, 11:22 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]The hotter temperatures are making headlines with the source of the heat all but decided as man-made. Curiously, no one seems to mention the sun is in the middle of increased activity which is having huge effects on low Earth orbit satellites. Why is no one making a connection between increased solar activity and higher temperatures on the Earth?

Because they are unrelated.  Solar ejections have no impact on the surface temperature of the Earth.

https://climate.nasa.gov/faq/14/is-the-s...l-warming/

Thanks for that. I should have done a little research myself. It seemed a given that increased solar activity would have a direct effect on surface temperature, but it turns out not as much as I thought.
I don't know why we don't talk about concrete more when it comes to climate change.
(07-24-2022, 09:10 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know why we don't talk about concrete more when it comes to climate change.

Concrete does play a role in causing increased temperatures, but it's a small role.  If the science said it played a large role, would you be in favor of a cap and trade system for concrete, or a concrete tax?
(07-24-2022, 09:40 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-24-2022, 09:10 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know why we don't talk about concrete more when it comes to climate change.

Concrete does play a role in causing increased temperatures, but it's a small role.  If the science said it played a large role, would you be in favor of a cap and trade system for concrete, or a concrete tax?

Lol.
(07-24-2022, 10:47 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-24-2022, 09:40 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Concrete does play a role in causing increased temperatures, but it's a small role.  If the science said it played a large role, would you be in favor of a cap and trade system for concrete, or a concrete tax?

Lol.

Next up, a legislative bill banning dark-colored shingles and a government funded program to repaint your car white!
(07-25-2022, 12:46 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-24-2022, 10:47 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Lol.

Next up, a legislative bill banning dark-colored shingles and a government funded program to repaint your car white!

Would pavers be considered a loophole?

Actually, you should get a rebate for dark colored shingles because they aren't reflecting heat/radiation back into the atmosphere.
(07-24-2022, 09:40 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]

He might have been referring to the massive amounts of carbon dioxide that are emitted in process of making concrete. It's extremely CO2 intensive.
I'm speaking to both. It takes a massive amount of energy to build our roads and building. Our major cities produce a massive amount of heat, both to create and once created. It's noticeably warmer in urban areas, and I think it's a majorly under discussed factor in global warming. It could also explain why it's warmer at the surface, as well as the rise in temp with the industrialization of China.
(07-25-2022, 01:26 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-25-2022, 12:46 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]Next up, a legislative bill banning dark-colored shingles and a government funded program to repaint your car white!

Would pavers be considered a loophole?

Actually, you should get a rebate for dark colored shingles because they aren't reflecting heat/radiation back into the atmosphere.
Pavers hold more heat than plan white concrete, at least around a pool.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
(07-26-2022, 12:45 AM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-25-2022, 01:26 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]Would pavers be considered a loophole?

Pavers hold more heat than plan white concrete, at least around a pool.

True, its hard to walk on ours in midday. So, even less heat in the atmosphere with pavers. Rebates!
[Image: climate.jpg]
(07-26-2022, 09:53 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-26-2022, 12:45 AM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]Pavers hold more heat than plan white concrete, at least around a pool.

True, its hard to walk on ours in midday.  So, even less heat in the atmosphere with pavers.  Rebates!

Less heat in the atmosphere means more in the ground.  You're endangering the nesting habits of some obscure beetle species that nobody has ever heard of.  The insect rights activists will be over to see you.
I have no idea who or what or how much climate change or warming or cooling is caused by people. But I know it's been damn hot this year, hotter then I ever remember. By 10am in the shop we are dying in this heat. I came home twice last week so heat exhausted I had a fever through the night trying to rehydrate. Trust me we drink water by the gallons but you just sweat it out so damn fast right now. It's the triple H this summer, Hot Humid and Horrible.