Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Throwing teenage girls in jail over pregnancy?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Republicans got what they wanted, teenage girls are being prosecuted over abortion pills. Do any of you that wanted the current legal atmosphere feel regret over it, or was this what you were always hoping for?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/emilybaker-...-teen-dms/
Murder ok for teenagers? I'm confused?
(08-10-2022, 08:22 AM)jj82284 Wrote: [ -> ]Murder ok for teenagers?  I'm confused?

Okay, so I'll put you down for, "yes, I was hoping to see teenage girls go to jail."

Anyone else want to cop to that?
The fetus was 28 weeks old. It had been viable for a month.
7 months? Geez. Some of you abortion folks need to get your priorities straight.
This wasn’t abortion. It was infanticide.
Your ok with someone killing a 28 week old fetus? That's a fully developed baby at that point and then she buried the body and told everyone it was a miscarriage. Yea lock that sick [BLEEP] up
I can just see a group of lefties on an edition of Survival:

“Okay, let’s make a list of necessities we need to gather. Clean drinking water, wood for fire, material to make a crude shelter, edible plants and we’ll also need to fabricate some weapons for hunting. Anything else?”

“Access to abortion.”

Everyone nods.
(08-10-2022, 09:02 AM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]Your ok with someone killing a 28 week old fetus? That's a fully developed baby at that point and then she buried the body and told everyone it was a miscarriage. Yea lock that sick [BLEEP] up

I do think it's weird that she buried a fetus body, however, I also think the police shouldn't be going to Facebook and taking people's private information because they reportedly had a miscarriage.

I'll just put you down for yes to police state as long as there was a miscarriage.
(08-10-2022, 09:12 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-10-2022, 09:02 AM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]Your ok with someone killing a 28 week old fetus? That's a fully developed baby at that point and then she buried the body and told everyone it was a miscarriage. Yea lock that sick [BLEEP] up

I do think it's weird that she buried a fetus body, however, I also think the police shouldn't be going to Facebook and taking people's private information because they reportedly had a miscarriage.

I'll just put you down for yes to police state as long as there was a miscarriage.

They had a search warrant.  They didn't just hack her FB.
(08-10-2022, 09:15 AM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-10-2022, 09:12 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]I do think it's weird that she buried a fetus body, however, I also think the police shouldn't be going to Facebook and taking people's private information because they reportedly had a miscarriage.

They had a search warrant.  They didn't just hack her FB.

Careful! He’ll “put you down” on his list.
(08-10-2022, 09:17 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-10-2022, 09:15 AM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: [ -> ]They had a search warrant.  They didn't just hack her FB.

Careful! He’ll “put you down” on his list.

The "list" is this post, just noting what someone is indirectly saying.
(08-10-2022, 09:19 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-10-2022, 09:17 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Careful! He’ll “put you down” on his list.

The "list" is this post, just noting what someone is indirectly saying.

What are they indirectly saying? And shouldn’t you be using the term “dog whistle”?
I do think the law needs to be pretty nuanced when it comes to abortion. Considering that in most states, girls 17 and under can't always legally consent to sex, so in most cases such acts are legally prosecutable as rape, the law should give more leeway for girls 17 and under to get early abortions if desired. The default position should be that they are victims, either of force or manipulation. I get that that's not a perfectly consistent philosophy or ethic of life, but these are very very messy issues.

Even so, I would prosecute this girl in Nebraska. She had 20 weeks to seek a legal abortion and she would have known she was pregnant for most of that time.
(08-10-2022, 09:34 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]I do think the law needs to be pretty nuanced when it comes to abortion.  Considering that in most states, girls 17 and under can't always legally consent to sex, so in most cases such acts are legally prosecutable as rape, the law should give more leeway for girls 17 and under to get early abortions if desired.  The default position should be that they are victims, either of force or manipulation.  I get that that's not a perfectly consistent philosophy or ethic of life, but these are very very messy issues.

Even so, I would prosecute this girl in Nebraska.  She had 20 weeks to seek a legal abortion and she would have known she was pregnant for most of that time.

One of the problems with that line of thinking is the unequal protection under the law. Women of means can just go somewhere that abortion is completely legal, right up to birth, while a child like the one in question doesn't have means and is instead forced to incubate a foreign entity against their will due to where they live.
This is EVIL
The girl and her mother were charged with "removing, concealing or abandoning a dead human body" which is a felony and has nothing to do with abortion.
(08-10-2022, 09:39 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-10-2022, 09:34 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]I do think the law needs to be pretty nuanced when it comes to abortion.  Considering that in most states, girls 17 and under can't always legally consent to sex, so in most cases such acts are legally prosecutable as rape, the law should give more leeway for girls 17 and under to get early abortions if desired.  The default position should be that they are victims, either of force or manipulation.  I get that that's not a perfectly consistent philosophy or ethic of life, but these are very very messy issues.

Even so, I would prosecute this girl in Nebraska.  She had 20 weeks to seek a legal abortion and she would have known she was pregnant for most of that time.

One of the problems with that line of thinking is the unequal protection under the law. Women of means can just go somewhere that abortion is completely legal, right up to birth, while a child like the one in question doesn't have means and is instead forced to incubate a foreign entity against their will due to where they live.

We have to totally reject the idea that the equal protection of the law guaranteed by the 14th amendment must be equality of outcome regardless of economic resources.  

I have no problem with you arguing that I should be sympathetic to poor people, and I have no problem with you arguing that policy makers should consider their needs and resources and desires.  I do have a problem with you saying that a law is bad because it hurts poor people more than rich people.  This is true of almost every law.  If a law isn't specifically targeting rich people, it inevitably hurts poor people more because they aren't as able to hire good lawyers, among other reasons.  If we held that laws with disparate economic impacts can not be valid, we would quickly have no laws at all.
(08-10-2022, 07:40 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]Republicans got what they wanted, teenage girls are being prosecuted over abortion pills. Do any of you that wanted the current legal atmosphere feel regret over it, or was this what you were always hoping for?

Regarding the part in bold, that is a false statement.

Here is the original article cited by the article that you posted.

Quote:When he interviewed them a few days later, they told him Celeste Burgess had unexpectedly given birth to her stillborn baby in the shower, in the early morning hours after midnight, court records say.

In early June, the two women were each charged with removing, concealing or abandoning a dead human body, a felony, and a pair of misdemeanors: concealing the death of another person; and false reporting.

A month later, Madison County Attorney Joseph Smith added two more felonies to the charges against Jessica Burgess — for performing or attempting an abortion on a pregnancy at more than 20 weeks, and performing an abortion as a non-licensed doctor.
(08-10-2022, 10:20 AM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-10-2022, 07:40 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]Republicans got what they wanted, teenage girls are being prosecuted over abortion pills. Do any of you that wanted the current legal atmosphere feel regret over it, or was this what you were always hoping for?

Regarding the part in bold, that is a false statement.

Here is the original article cited by the article that you posted.

Quote:When he interviewed them a few days later, they told him Celeste Burgess had unexpectedly given birth to her stillborn baby in the shower, in the early morning hours after midnight, court records say.

In early June, the two women were each charged with removing, concealing or abandoning a dead human body, a felony, and a pair of misdemeanors: concealing the death of another person; and false reporting.

A month later, Madison County Attorney Joseph Smith added two more felonies to the charges against Jessica Burgess — for performing or attempting an abortion on a pregnancy at more than 20 weeks, and performing an abortion as a non-licensed doctor.

Excuse me, prosecuted over discussing abortion pills.
Pages: 1 2