Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 2022 Secondary
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The hype around Campbell and Cisco just continues to grow and a unit looked like a major weakness 3 years ago now appears to be on stable footing. 

Griffin & Cambell on the corners with Darious Williams at $.05 sure feels like it's going to be a trustworthy group.

Add in the camp star, Cisco paired with Jenkins who has said he wants to show better play than last year and it's a fairly strong group of starters defending the pass. 

Jenkins is a bit of a question mark after some poor showings last year and depth is a concern on the corners, but if these guys stay healthy they may be pretty good.

https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status...kK8Fj3BNjA
Solid foundation but I still foresee huge growing pains in the secondary this season (in conjunction with our young LB core). There is no way you can pretty much add all new players in the secondary and at LB without serious miscommunications. I think we will see progress but have to deal with a lot of blown coverages, knowing our best days are yet to come in 2023 and beyond (that is, until our players are so good that they fake injuries and demand trades).
I could see the pass rushing helping out the secondary and vise versa for sure this year. The key will be how well the LB's play as a group, as Hurricane mentioned. Those guys cannot get blown off their assignments, blow gaps and lanes and get us gashed in the ground game.

Hopefully, in a perfect world? The offense just gets off to a fast start and puts points up on the board early and often to where the defense can just pin it's ears back most of the time.
I’m pretty high on the group, as I am with much of the team after following all the training camp reports. Same thing every year, I never learn! My wife laughs at me when I say I’m excited to see them, she says you say that every single year, then the season starts. But I don’t know, something just feels right with this group moving forward…
It should be fun watching these young players grow together as a unit.
WOW. “Looking like Pro Bowlers.” Those are very encouraging words.
The secondary is definitely the strongest unit of the team.
As the D Line/pass rush goes, so goes the secondary.
(08-18-2022, 03:24 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: [ -> ]Is Jenkins injured?

https://twitter.com/MiaOBrienTV/status/1...4995856386

I don't think so.

I think this staff doesn't have a ton of faith in Jenkins and wants to motivate him. But I really have no idea why they are doing this. 

They got it right with Cisco.
They have a better scheme under the new DC.
It's possible Wingard could perform better in the box than that ridiculously deep single high zone stuff Cullen placed him in too frequently. 

Still...  it's hard for me to imagine Wingard as our starting SS after seeing him make so many bad plays. 
Didn't he have a big whiff on an open field tackle in the HOF game too? 

Interestingly, Rayshawn Jenkins was the Jags most highly graded defensive player in preseason week one vs browns. 
*shrug*

I’d rather run 3-5-3 base than start Dewey.

Hamilton-Fatukasi-Robertson Harris

Allen-Oluokun-Lloyd-Muma-Walker

Griffin-Cisco-Campbell

Jags just tweeted a vid of Jenkins intercepting a pass in practice. 
Didn't see who threw it, but it was clearly ones v ones.
Marvin Jones, Josh Allen and a few other starters visible in clip. 

They may have just given him a vet break, or wanted to see where Wingard was progressing against certain looks.
(08-18-2022, 05:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]

Jags just tweeted a vid of Jenkins intercepting a pass in practice. 
Didn't see who threw it, but it was clearly ones v ones.
Marvin Jones, Josh Allen and a few other starters visible in clip. 

They may have just given him a vet break, or wanted to see where Wingard was progressing against certain looks.

He just picked off Lawrence the other day so I'm sure it was him. Pretty sure they said it was Lawrence's 2nd INT of camp.
Looks encouraging. I think the true test for the secondary will come week 3 against the Chargers.
(08-18-2022, 03:49 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: [ -> ]

Griffin-Cisco-Campbell
I personally don't see this happening. And I also don't thunk Muma is a week 1 starter ATM.
(08-18-2022, 03:49 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: [ -> ]

Griffin-Cisco-Campbell

Shipley's daily camp report indicated it looked like just a veteran day off for Jenkins.

It is notable that Wingard is ahead of Daniel Thomas on the depth chart though. 
The kid must be doing some good stuff in practices, as much as I've hated on his poor play previously.
(08-18-2022, 07:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2022, 03:49 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: [ -> ]I’d rather run 3-5-3 base than start Dewey.

Griffin-Cisco-Campbell

Shipley's daily camp report indicated it looked like just a veteran day off for Jenkins.

The kid must be doing some good stuff in practices, as much as I've hated on his poor play previously.
I think Dewey > DT is valid. I did not mind Wingard's play last season. He has grown on me a little. I can't recall anything horrendous from last season (correct me if I am wrong). IDK about DT he seems unpolished to me. I remember towards the end of his rookie season I was hyped for him but that fizzled out a bit recently.
I number of people today said Campbell has been the best player this camp on either side of the ball
(08-18-2022, 07:10 PM)Jagsman Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2022, 07:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Shipley's daily camp report indicated it looked like just a veteran day off for Jenkins.

I think Dewey > DT is valid. I did not mind Wingard's play last season. He has grown on me a little. I can't recall anything horrendous from last season (correct me if I am wrong). IDK about DT he seems unpolished to me. I remember towards the end of his rookie season I was hyped for him but that fizzled out a bit recently.

Wingard's coverage skills were so bad that when Cullen's scheme called for a single high safety, wingard had to line up 45 yards off the LOS in order to not get beat in coverage. 
He had zero chance of making any play at all other than being the last line of defense tackler on something that got past the rest of the secondary. 
Yes, some of that falls on the scheme - some falls on his inability - but most of it falls on the former coaches failing 2 ways. 
1 - they should not use him as a FS at all 
2 -  they should have used Cisco who has better coverage skill instead of the 2 year guy that had to line up 10 yards too deep 

When Cisco began getting reps late in the season the difference was readily apparent. 
Wingard also missed some open field tackles last season that drew lots of ire from fans.
(08-18-2022, 07:29 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2022, 07:10 PM)Jagsman Wrote: [ -> ]I think Dewey > DT is valid. I did not mind Wingard's play last season. He has grown on me a little. I can't recall anything horrendous from last season (correct me if I am wrong). IDK about DT he seems unpolished to me. I remember towards the end of his rookie season I was hyped for him but that fizzled out a bit recently.

Wingard's coverage skills were so bad that when Cullen's scheme called for a single high safety, wingard had to line up 45 yards off the LOS in order to not get beat in coverage. 
He had zero chance of making any play at all other than being the last line of defense tackler on  something that got past the rest of the secondary. 
Yes, some of that falls on the scheme - some falls on his inability - but most of it falls on the former coaches failing 2 ways. 
1 - they should not use him as a FS at all 
2 -  they should have used Cisco who has better coverage skill instead of the 2 year guy that had to line up 10 yards too deep 

When Cisco began getting reps late in the season the difference was readily apparent. 
Wingard also missed some open field tackles last season that drew lots of ire from fans.
Reading this made me crack up because I can totally imagine that situation happening.
Pages: 1 2 3