Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Without this group, we might not have defeated the Japanese in WW II
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This Group deserves a lot more credit than they received........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmiqnAQTTCI
I have it on good authority that America's Greatest Marine personally protected the Windtalkers even in spite of PTSD and hearing loss.
(08-17-2022, 08:40 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]I have it on good authority that America's Greatest Marine personally protected the Windtalkers even in spite of PTSD and hearing loss.

Please elaborate.
When I first heard of the wind talkers, I assumed that they simply translated the messages into their language and a Navaho on the other end would translate the message back.
Now that I've actually studied more about the art of translation, and communications in general I know that would not have been any way for a military to communicate. So much gets lost in translation and the personal choices of the translators and the things that a language might not have a word for. Not to mention the things that might be misheard with radio static. They would have made unacceptable mistakes under good conditions, let alone on the front lines of battle with bullets flying above their heads.
The Navaho were thoroughly trained and disciplined to read out the messages in English, letter by letter, using a Navaho code word for each letter and each number. And they had to learn how to do it fast with bullets flying and staticy connections. Amazing work they did.
(08-17-2022, 01:21 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-17-2022, 08:40 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]I have it on good authority that America's Greatest Marine personally protected the Windtalkers even in spite of PTSD and hearing loss.

Please elaborate.

So soon you forget his heroism...his bravery...his personal supply of salt?

[Image: MV5BMTM2ODUzNDIwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDQ4...@._V1_.jpg]
Good movie
(08-17-2022, 01:36 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]When I first heard of the wind talkers, I assumed that they simply translated the messages into their language and a Navaho on the other end would translate the message back.
Now that I've actually studied more about the art of translation, and communications in general I know that would not have been any way for a military to communicate.  So much gets lost in translation and the personal choices of the translators and the things that a language might not have a word for.  Not to mention the things that might be misheard with radio static.  They would have made unacceptable mistakes under good conditions, let alone on the front lines of battle with bullets flying above their heads.
The Navaho were thoroughly trained and disciplined to read out the messages in English, letter by letter, using a Navaho code word for each letter and each number.  And they had to learn how to do it fast with bullets flying and staticy connections.  Amazing work they did.

They weren't "wind talkers" they were "code talkers".

Also the proper spelling is Navajo.
(08-17-2022, 01:36 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]When I first heard of the wind talkers, I assumed that they simply translated the messages into their language and a Navaho on the other end would translate the message back.
Now that I've actually studied more about the art of translation, and communications in general I know that would not have been any way for a military to communicate.  So much gets lost in translation and the personal choices of the translators and the things that a language might not have a word for.  Not to mention the things that might be misheard with radio static.  They would have made unacceptable mistakes under good conditions, let alone on the front lines of battle with bullets flying above their heads.
The Navaho were thoroughly trained and disciplined to read out the messages in English, letter by letter, using a Navaho code word for each letter and each number.  And they had to learn how to do it fast with bullets flying and staticy connections.  Amazing work they did.

I thought they used smoke signals and deer calls.   Smile