Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: In defense of 'y'all'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In defense of 'y'all,' a word the whole country can, and should, use right now

Southerners are often known for being more than a little bit long-winded -- just ask anyone who has tried to bid farewell to a Southern granny in under 40 minutes -- so it might come as a bit of a surprise to some that one of the South's favorite words is a contraction intended to simplify and shorten sentences.

https://www.southernthing.com/in-defense...66012.html
Y’all is the perfect word, it’s gender neutral. Of course since it’s southern people think you’re ignorant if you use it, so there’s that. Those people can go publicly fornicate with themselves. Just sayin
(08-19-2022, 03:41 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: [ -> ]Y’all is the perfect word, it’s gender neutral. Of course since it’s southern people think you’re ignorant if you use it, so there’s that. Those people can go publicly fornicate with themselves. Just sayin

In my neck of th woods in Maryland, we have always used the word Y'all...... Now, we had a few people from PA come to work for my Granddads company, they talked funny to us, they said "you'ens".... lol
(08-19-2022, 04:03 PM)The Drifter Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-19-2022, 03:41 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: [ -> ]Y’all is the perfect word, it’s gender neutral. Of course since it’s southern people think you’re ignorant if you use it, so there’s that. Those people can go publicly fornicate with themselves. Just sayin

In my neck of th woods in Maryland, we have always used the word Y'all...... Now, we had a few people from PA come to work for my Granddads company, they talked funny to us, they said "you'ens".... lol

Incorrect.  It’s one word and it’s more pronounced younz or yunz.  I’ve heard it enough while visiting my in-laws over the last 27 years.
I know when I moved from PA people told me I talked funny. Had to relearn how to say half my vocabulary.
(08-19-2022, 08:00 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]I know when I moved from PA people told me I talked funny.  Had to relearn how to say half my vocabulary.

Yeah, but you look funny too.

Damn northerner.
(08-19-2022, 06:16 PM)RicoTx Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-19-2022, 04:03 PM)The Drifter Wrote: [ -> ]In my neck of th woods in Maryland, we have always used the word Y'all...... Now, we had a few people from PA come to work for my Granddads company, they talked funny to us, they said "you'ens".... lol

Incorrect.  It’s one word and it’s more pronounced younz or yunz.  I’ve heard it enough while visiting my in-laws over the last 27 years.

Judge Haller: the two whats?
Mr Gambini: the two utes
(08-19-2022, 08:06 PM)RicoTx Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-19-2022, 08:00 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]I know when I moved from PA people told me I talked funny.  Had to relearn how to say half my vocabulary.

Yeah, but you look funny too.

Damn northerner.
Eh, everybody looks funny in Walmart.  Gotta be the lighting they use. Haha