Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Electric Bills in Jacksonville
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, I just got off the phone with both the Mayors office and my city councils office about the ridiculous bills that we have gotten this year. 

My last bill was $480.00 for ONE month. I can pay my electric bill, but dude, almost $500 for electricity. If that kind of bill sucks for me, I can imagine what others in Jacksonville are feeling. JEA I guess is telling people that are behind on their bills that they are going to give them time to catch up. CATCH UP? If they are struggling now, how is being in a hole going to help them? 

JEA is a decent company as far as service goes. But am I out of line thinking that they may be fleecing the people of Jacksonville? Everything cost more and peoples incomes are not matching the increases, at some point something is going to give. Electric bills shouldn't be more than a car payment, EVER (unless you have a business or a huge home) I argue that this is not sustainable and is putting an undo burden on the people of Jacksonville. What am I missing? 

JEA Fiscal Reports for 2021 and part of 2022

file:///C:/Users/ronni/Downloads/June%202022%20Quarterly%20Analysis%20of%20Financial%20Performance.pdf
Obama told us this was part of the plan.
I was just getting used to $350 monthly electric bills, then 2022 happened
Mine creeped up to about $300, but I'm in Green Cove and have GCS Electric..
My bill went up $50 this month.
I can't access that performance report because the link is incorrect. However, 50% of JEA's electric demand is still met by fossil fuels (petroleum coke). Price hikes and increases in transportation costs due to fuel increases are going to push prices up. Fuel costs were always a pass-through, always passed on via a rate increase. At least while I was working there. They have announced a base rate increase of 1.5% for April 2023. Any increases other than that are just increased electric/water/sewer use. I'm speaking generally of course, but I do incur a much larger water bill personally if I add even 1 extra day a week to the watering cycle. It adds up fast.
JEA is a community-owned utility, right? It's owned by the city of Jacksonville. So I would assume that any increases are a result of increased costs, because if it was otherwise, it would be public knowledge.
More than 20 million US households are behind on utility bills

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/more...lity-bills
(08-27-2022, 05:12 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]JEA is a community-owned utility, right? It's owned by the city of Jacksonville. So I would assume that any increases are a result of increased costs, because if it was otherwise, it would be public knowledge.

That's right. Rate increases are subject to approval by a board of independent appointees. City Hall has no input, which hopefully minimizes potential corruption.
Clay electric but my last two bills have also been $500 it hurts for sure
(08-27-2022, 11:48 AM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]Clay electric but my last two bills have also been $500 it hurts for sure
I have clay also and it's gone up. They also keep having outages. I'm thinking of finally getting solar as long as the cost vs benefit is good.

How much electricity is everyone using? Either your home is huge and inefficient or you keep your A/C temp low.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk
My electric was 204 last month. Maybe y'all need to look into insulation. ;-)
(08-27-2022, 10:32 AM)Ronster Wrote: [ -> ]More than 20 million US households are behind on utility bills

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/more...lity-bills

That's unfortunate that people are getting behind like that especially due to expensive bills. I am fortunate that my bill has been pretty low the past few months. I live in NC and my electric now comes through a Co-op company.  It hasn't been higher than like $122 since April and the past three months hasn't really exceeded $100, (with last month being the cheapest bill at $89.) And it looks like now I may not have to pay it the next couple of months. It looks like they credited me for the security deposit I gave them a couple of years ago. 

I definitely like dealing with the Co-op better than the city. I know when I was having it serviced by the city here it was considerably higher. But I also lived in an apartment then that wasn't insulated as well as the one I have now. 

For people that are afraid they are getting behind maybe they can indeed work out some sort of payment arrangement with their provider.
(08-27-2022, 11:48 AM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]Clay electric but my last two bills have also been $500 it hurts for sure

$500.00?  I have Clay Electric myself.  My highest bill was last month which came in right at $200.00.

Granted, it's just my wife and I, but even with the A/C running more than normal our bill has never gone above $200.00.  On average we normally pay around $125.00.

Now if you want to talk fuel bill (gas and diesel for my machines) that cost has shot up dramatically.
It’s all connected, a thinking person has to ask themselves WHY are they purposefully destroying our society, Why indeed.

Cheap energy is a big part of why we succeeded in the west. This stupid, ignorant war in the Ukraine is propelling the west into abject poverty and quickly.

Tucker lays it out and it ain’t pretty….

https://youtu.be/Zn6c-UkqlHo
I just got my electric bill for the month of August...... It was $67.21....... Granted I don't live in Jax but........ I have a 2 BR apartment here in central Maryland. Even with running the AC, washer dryer, dishwasher, etc, it  was only that little..... Yeah, I live alone to so that helps.....Oh, and I only use all LED Lamps and bulbs which is a great energy saver right there.......
I just had 220 ran in my backyard for a hot tub..

Juice me up, baby!!
Mine went up a little bit but I am also using more water this year to keep the lawns healthier. I was at $265 and some change this month for July with JEA. I also leave my AC on 76 for the day and if I have to have it cooler at night time I'll adjust it down to 74.

Can't wait for Fall // Winter to get here though. My wife doesn't like it but I tell her to bundle up inside the house. It's an easy way to save money. Open up your windows to let the cool air in and when it gets to freezing temperatures just bust out an extra blanket or two.

That's about three - four months there where you could potentially put at least $100 per month back into your pockets for sure. Water consumption goes down too as the heat isn't as brutal on the lawn and you can use the daylight savings aspect to your advantage.
(08-27-2022, 01:18 PM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]
I have clay also and it's gone up. They also keep having outages. I'm thinking of finally getting solar as long as the cost vs benefit is good.

How much electricity is everyone using? Either your home is huge and inefficient or you keep your A/C temp low.

I'm ina mobile home so I know I have bad insulation if any at all but even then it's been an average of $300 in summer and under $125 in the winter the last 8 years this year is just crazy expensive.

(08-27-2022, 03:38 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]

$500.00?  I have Clay Electric myself.  My highest bill was last month which came in right at $200.00.

Granted, it's just my wife and I, but even with the A/C running more than normal our bill has never gone above $200.00.  On average we normally pay around $125.00.

Now if you want to talk fuel bill (gas and diesel for my machines) that cost has shot up dramatically.

Yea older mobile homes leak like crazy. Ive done everything except new windows which I was quoted like 30k to replace them but even with energy star appliances and automatic [BLEEP] off light switches and a smart thermostat to adjust the temp when no one's home it just goes up every month. Last month was better but still 387
(08-30-2022, 01:56 PM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-27-2022, 01:18 PM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]I have clay also and it's gone up. They also keep having outages. I'm thinking of finally getting solar as long as the cost vs benefit is good.

I'm ina mobile home so I know I have bad insulation if any at all but even then it's been an average of $300 in summer and under $125 in the winter the last 8 years this year is just crazy expensive.

(08-27-2022, 03:38 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]$500.00?  I have Clay Electric myself.  My highest bill was last month which came in right at $200.00.

Yea older mobile homes leak like crazy. Ive done everything except new windows which I was quoted like 30k to replace them but even with energy star appliances and automatic [BLEEP] off light switches and a smart thermostat to adjust the temp when no one's home it just goes up every month. Last month was better but still 387

Go to Lowe's.  30k is a ripoff.  I got 8 Pella e-glass windows installed for $5200 two years ago.  Getting energy savings of 50% on electric component of bill.  Also dampens outside noise, a lot.  Maybe mobile home install/windows are different, I don't know.
Pages: 1 2