Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: PreSeason Conclusions & Observations (merged)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Lots to unpack, but there is definitely one underlying thought for me above all else.

If the injury bug comes to visit, WE ARE SCREWED. 
Our backups are just not very good at most positions. 

After that:

• I'm very confident in our staff - preparedness and discipline were apparent
  • I'm not confident in our O-Line - they look great at times, and they look porous at times.  LG and RT have concerns and there is a rookie Center that will likely take his lumps at times as well.
  • Running game should be good, but, see above  - could suffer at times from poor blocking - Most of ETN's yardage in preseason has been post contact
  • Trevor and the passing game will be mid-tier in the league IMO. Not concerned, but not expecting miracles. I believe in the QB, but the line and the receiving corps may hold him back a bit here and there. At least the playbook will be a help rather than hindrance for him in year 2. 
  • The defense gives me lots of hope. If the starters mostly stay healthy they could have a number of great performances this year. 
  • Zay Jones. The most interesting wide receiver in the world will grow his legend this season. I'm only half-kidding. He appears to be in great form and dialed in with TL. 
  • Secondary is still a bit of a question mark. We haven't really seen Williams in the slot much ( I need to focus on his snaps vs ATL still - didn't watch full game yet) - Campbell looks like he's made great strides, Griffin is solid but will give up some plays. Cisco will make some plays and Jenkins is a question mark. Both safeties look better in the box than in coverage and that's a bit of a concern. Hopefully it comes together. They'll get help from the pass rush at times. 
  • Tight ends: Engram will make plays and drop balls alternately. Arnold has been a bit of a no-show throughout the offseason. Not sure what to expect. Manhertz appears to be a capable blocker in this scheme and has shown solid hands thus far. 
^^ I'm excited and beyond ready for week 1. Its going to be a fun season.
First Things First.

If you've followed the coaching of Pederson, you know that he held back within his first preseason as our Jaguar's HC. He relies heavily on the TEs of which he has barely utilized as of yet.

I'm seriously hoping that the OL will jell sooner than later w/3 of 5 new starters. It would've been 4 if Little had beat out Taylor. Our RBs, WRs, QB and TE will be reflective w/respect to the play of the OL.

I'm seriously impressed w/the play of our defense overall considering that all 11 starters has yet to dawn the playing field collectively. They're on course to be the back bone of our team to say the least. Our D will give the opposing teams a fit most of the time(s).

The 53 Man Roster will determine the outcome/performance of the play of our ST other than the punter. The cohesion of the ST is yet to be determined.

Initially I mentioned that the success of our 2022 Jaguars rested on the fate of our coaching staff. As their first preseason has come to a conclusion, even though there's an 0 in the win column, I'm completely confident that Pederson has collected the proper staffing to assist him w/respect to being successful throughout his Jaguar tenure.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
The passing game should be improved. It’s telling that Shenault is on the bubble as one of the main receivers last year: O-line is better at run blocking, concerned vs the pass. Running back we have no depth and will depend on JRob, how he comes out. Defensively pass game should be strong suit, running game decent but no depth at the NT could be concern + young LBs. Kicking game iffy but have believe they will find a guy. If we have injuries it will be tough, obviously. Look at Jags-Pats week 16 last year when we were crushed and defense could not stop anyone — the personnel that played there was even worse. 5-8 wins this year, depending on health.
The italicized portion is my main takeaway too. I said something along the lines of us having the veneer of a competitive team after FA.

The most underlooked part of the surprising 2017 season was our ridiculously fortuitous injury luck. I think the stat was something like only 5 missed games total from our starting 22 the entire season. If by some miracle we get injury luck like that again we could surprise the league again IMO. Probably not win a couple playoff games surprise, but I think we could compete for a wild card if we don't have any major injuries.
the first string  defense looks like they might be good enough to keep team in a few games. the offense looks the same as before can drin down the field,but can only get FGS. that will present a problom,ad cause a lot more loses even if defense is good. They will get tired,and to win games you need to score tds.   this team will not win 6 games,they will be lucky to win 1 or 2 with one of the wins possbilley being in London.

I can see this team going from anywere between 0-17  ,4-13,  3-14,i can even see them going 1-16 getting first pick for 3rd stright year.  I hope i end up being wrong. right now i don't see  enough change for them to be winners.
I respectfully disagree. I believe this team if it stays relatively healthy is capable of winning six games.

This organization/team has been so bad the last few years it simply wasn’t possible to make all the changes it needs in one off season.

Is this a playoff team? No.
Is this team capable of winning eight games? Very doubtful imho.

But the coaching is light years ahead of last year. The talent level has increased. Obviously their are holes and depth is an issue. They must continue building but I believe they are heading in the right direction.
(08-28-2022, 08:37 AM)wg171 Wrote: [ -> ]I respectfully disagree. I believe this team if it stays relatively healthy is capable of winning six games.

This organization/team has been so bad the last few years it simply wasn’t possible to make all the changes it needs in one off season.

But the coaching is light years ahead of last year. The talent level has increased. Obviously their are holes and depth is an issue. They must continue building but I believe they are heading in the right direction.

its the same song,and dance every  time  jags get a new coach,the team will be better,the team will turn around blah blah blah,and what happens turns out to be same ol jags,and we are crushed cause we had high expectations.

Well i am done believeing the hype until i acctuttly see the team turning around. I'm still going to cheer them on, and all,but am not getting hopes up high.
Good grief.
I think these first few games will determine the season. If we play poorly morale will be gone, then it's a looong season after that.
(08-28-2022, 11:48 AM)WhyWouldYouPostThat Wrote: [ -> ]I think these first few games will determine the season. If we play poorly morale will be gone, then it's a looong season after that.

I would actually agree. If we come out of the gate with a couple of wins, then I think we have the talent to build on the confidence that would instill. If we lose right off the bat, I think pederson can still rally the troops for improvement, but I don’t think that we will do anything special. However, I can never forget 1996! Overall, just hoping to see a competent team. Not expecting playoffs.
(08-28-2022, 08:37 AM)wg171 Wrote: [ -> ]I respectfully disagree. I believe this team if it stays relatively healthy is capable of winning six games.

I'd look at it with a little more nuance. I believe this defense is going to be playoff caliber. Ultimately the team's fate will ride on how well Lawrence develops this year and the ability of the OL to protect and open up some running lanes. In this division, they could win 10 games if the offense plays just middle of the pack.
I saw nothing to give me much confidence this team will be significantly better than those of the last two seasons.
(08-28-2022, 12:52 PM)RWBinJax Wrote: [ -> ]I saw nothing to give me much confidence this team will be significantly better than those of the last two seasons.

That's harsh.
Health is the key now. Injuries dilute the talent level and disrupt established chemistry. IF we can stay healthy, as in 2017, then I think they can improve together, gel as a team and win 7 to 8 games. If not, then 4 to 6 is probably more realistic.
I'm looking forward to 2 weeks from today when your Jags visit Fedexfield...Hope it's a great game..
It is gonna be a bloodbath.
Looks like a 6-7 win team with lots of young players whose arrow is pointing up. As Trevor goes, so will this team and franchise.
(08-28-2022, 01:21 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]Health is the key now.  Injuries dilute the talent level and disrupt established chemistry.  IF we can stay healthy, as in 2017, then I think they can improve together, gel as a team and win 7 to 8 games.  If not, then 4 to 6 is probably more realistic.

Yea 100%

I'm not confident in our depth
9-8 book it
Pages: 1 2