Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Monkees' frontman Micky Dolenz files a lawsuit against the FBI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Monkees' frontman Micky Dolenz files a lawsuit against the FBI

Micky Dolenz is the only living member of the four original Monkees

The FBI has been issued a lawsuit by The Monkees' only surviving member, Micky Dolenz, for any records that may involve him, his deceased band mates, or the band itself.

Dolenz, whose full name is George Michael Dolenz Jr., filed a civil motion against the Department of Justice, citing the Freedom of Information Act.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/mo...gainst-fbi
(08-30-2022, 11:00 PM)The Drifter Wrote: [ -> ]Monkees' frontman Micky Dolenz files a lawsuit against the FBI

The FBI has been issued a lawsuit by The Monkees' only surviving member, Micky Dolenz, for any records that may involve him, his deceased band mates, or the band itself.

Dolenz, whose full name is George Michael Dolenz Jr., filed a civil motion against the Department of Justice, citing the Freedom of Information Act.

What? Investigated for anti-war activities in 1967? Dolenz can include himself with about 1/2 of the US population on that one. What the FBI should have been investigating was, outside of Micheal Nesmith, whether or not the Monkees had more than a shred of musical talent. That would have been a brief and conclusive investigation.

Seriously, tho, I did like their TV show, and I still have their 1st two albums on original vinyl. You know, the vinyl records that were about a quarter inch thick. This also proves you'll buy anything as a 9 year old kid.
(08-31-2022, 12:39 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-30-2022, 11:00 PM)The Drifter Wrote: [ -> ]Monkees' frontman Micky Dolenz files a lawsuit against the FBI

What? Investigated for anti-war activities in 1967?  Dolenz can include himself with about 1/2 of the US population on that one.  What the FBI should have been investigating was, outside of Micheal Nesmith, whether or not the Monkees had more than a shred of musical talent.  That would have been a brief and conclusive investigation.

Seriously, tho, I did like their TV show, and I still have their 1st two albums on original vinyl.  You know, the vinyl records that were about a quarter inch thick.  This also proves you'll buy anything as a 9 year old kid.

Ridiculous, I've seen them live a half dozen times and they were incredibly talented musicians even in their late years. A product of their times of course, but talented and a pop culture phenomenon.
(08-31-2022, 07:30 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-31-2022, 12:39 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]What? Investigated for anti-war activities in 1967?  Dolenz can include himself with about 1/2 of the US population on that one.  What the FBI should have been investigating was, outside of Micheal Nesmith, whether or not the Monkees had more than a shred of musical talent.  That would have been a brief and conclusive investigation.

Seriously, tho, I did like their TV show, and I still have their 1st two albums on original vinyl.  You know, the vinyl records that were about a quarter inch thick.  This also proves you'll buy anything as a 9 year old kid.

Ridiculous, I've seen them live a half dozen times and they were incredibly talented musicians even in their late years. A product of their times of course, but talented and a pop culture phenomenon.

A half dozen times? Were you a Monkees dead head?
(08-31-2022, 07:41 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-31-2022, 07:30 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Ridiculous, I've seen them live a half dozen times and they were incredibly talented musicians even in their late years. A product of their times of course, but talented and a pop culture phenomenon.

I watched their show a few times and that was enough for me lol
(08-31-2022, 07:30 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Ridiculous, I've seen them live a half dozen times and they were incredibly talented musicians even in their late years. A product of their times of course, but talented and a pop culture phenomenon.

Hardly, but I'm old and my parents were hippies. I enjoy most rock music from the 50s forward, and I saw them twice before I moved to Jacksonville and 3 or 4 times here over the years. I took my mom to see Dolenz and Nesmith here last year on their "farewell tour" and then Nesmith passed away a month or so later, so I'm glad she got to see Mike on stage again one last time. I've seen groups like The Turtles, Jefferson Starship/Starship, The Grass Roots, Paul Revere, The Kinks from going to concerts with my parents as a kid or taking them as they've aged. It's a cool thing we share.
(08-31-2022, 09:23 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-31-2022, 07:41 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]A half dozen times? Were you a Monkees dead head?

Hardly, but I'm old and my parents were hippies. I enjoy most rock music from the 50s forward, and I saw them twice before I moved to Jacksonville and 3 or 4 times here over the years. I took my mom to see Dolenz and Nesmith here last year on their "farewell tour" and then Nesmith passed away a month or so later, so I'm glad she got to see Mike on stage again one last time. I've seen groups like The Turtles, Jefferson Starship/Starship, The Grass Roots, Paul Revere, The Kinks from going to concerts with my parents as a kid or taking them as they've aged. It's a cool thing we share.

That's pretty much where I am.. Mom was definitely a hippie at heart, so I grew up on the same music.. Monkees included..  I think I was more of a Banana Splits kinda kid..
(08-31-2022, 12:39 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]What? Investigated for anti-war activities in 1967?  Dolenz can include himself with about 1/2 of the US population on that one.  What the FBI should have been investigating was, outside of Micheal Nesmith, whether or not the Monkees had more than a shred of musical talent.  That would have been a brief and conclusive investigation.

Perhaps I came off a little harsh. I liked them as well or I wouldn't have spent that hard earned lawn mowing money on those early LP's. But, come on, they were not 'incredibly talented musicians' back then; they were a pre-fabricated group that was propped up by crack studio musicians and Brill Building songwriters. A few of which went on to have pretty good careers (Carole King, Barry Mann/Cynthia Weil, Tommy Boyce/Bobby Hart, Neil Diamond, John Stewart) as singer/songwriters. Go on YouTube and listen to those early albums (Monkees, Monkees Headquarters, etc). Except for the hits, they aren't very good. Maybe they got better at their craft as they got older and more experienced, but by then, the hits had dried up and the times had left them behind. By the 1970's they were already releasing compilation and outtakes albums. Meanwhile, their 60's contemporaries (Beatles members, Stones, Dylan and all the groups you mentioned above in post 6) were still releasing great music. Certainly just my opinion.

Still like the TV show to this day, in small doses.
Today I learned the mother of Michael Nesmith invented Liquid Paper while she was working as a secretary. She sold the company to Gillette in 1979 for $48M.
Interesting fact. I loved watching the Monkeys when I was a kid. Thought it was a funny show.

The early Don Krishner prefab four material was certainly slicker than their later self-produced material which was at best below average california hippie pop. But I liked the movie they did, it was a Monkees version of HELP.
(08-31-2022, 03:05 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]

The early Don Krishner prefab four material was certainly slicker than their later self-produced material which was at best below average california hippie pop. But I liked the movie they did, it was a Monkees version of HELP.

HEAD gave us one of the great entrances of psychedelic cinema with The Porpoise Song.
(08-31-2022, 03:05 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]

The early Don Krishner prefab four material was certainly slicker than their later self-produced material which was at best below average california hippie pop. But I liked the movie they did, it was a Monkees version ripoff of HELP.

FTFY  Rolleyes
(08-31-2022, 04:44 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-31-2022, 03:05 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]The early Don Krishner prefab four material was certainly slicker than their later self-produced material which was at best below average california hippie pop. But I liked the movie they did, it was a Monkees version of HELP.

HEAD gave us one of the great entrances of psychedelic cinema with The Porpoise Song.

No doubt. I watched it years ago thinking it would be a re-hash, so to speak, of their TV show. Boy was I wrong.
The Monkees and Banana Split were two of the earliest shows I can remember watching.

https://youtu.be/jZCPkHCf8O8

https://youtu.be/XMl6HnhFFIA
Here's another interesting fact: when The Monkees played in Jacksonville, their opening act was Jimi Hendrix.

Here's the story:

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/3121...ed-monkees

Say what you want about the quality of the Monkees as a musical act, but they did recognize the brilliance of Jimi Hendrix, and, even though Michael Nesmith said the combination of the two acts was "staggeringly weird," he said later they hired him for their opening act so they could enjoy watching him every night.
(09-01-2022, 04:32 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Here's another interesting fact: when The Monkees played in Jacksonville, their opening act was Jimi Hendrix.

Here's the story:

Say what you want about the quality of the Monkees as a musical act, but they did recognize the brilliance of Jimi Hendrix, and, even though Michael Nesmith said the combination of the two acts was "staggeringly weird," he said later they hired him for their opening act so they could enjoy watching him every night.

Interesting, I didn't know that about touring with Hendrix. I did know that Dolenz had no musical training and couldn't even play drums when the TV show was first put together but took the idea to heart and took lessons. By the time they were recording their own music, he had become a reasonably competent drummer.

Post-TV show Monkees:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKmPmZoKeP0
(09-01-2022, 10:41 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-01-2022, 04:32 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Here's another interesting fact: when The Monkees played in Jacksonville, their opening act was Jimi Hendrix.

Here's the story:

Interesting, I didn't know that about touring with Hendrix. I did know that Dolenz had no musical training and couldn't even play drums when the TV show was first put together but took the idea to heart and took lessons. By the time they were recording their own music, he had become a reasonably competent drummer.

Post-TV show Monkees:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKmPmZoKeP0

Dude better watch out, I think that mermaid has fin rot..

Banana head?