Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Sarah Palin Loses
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/31/politics/...index.html

It was ranked choice voting, where the third place finisher had their "second choice" votes applied to the top two candidates.  

This flips a seat from Republican to Democrat, until November when they have another election.  Palin says she is going to run in that one, too.
(09-01-2022, 05:07 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/31/politics/...index.html

It was ranked choice voting, where the third place finisher had their "second choice" votes applied to the top two candidates.  

This flips a seat from Republican to Democrat, until November when they have another election.  Palin says she is going to run in that one, too.

Maybe this time to Republicans there will think about running someone more electable.
(09-01-2022, 05:58 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-01-2022, 05:07 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/31/politics/...index.html

Maybe this time to Republicans there will think about running someone more electable.

I don’t think the Trump endorsement helped her either.
I follow this election reform stuff very closely.
Alaska and Maine have both adopted a form of ranked choice voting called instant runoff. There are other forms. Each has different effects on candidate strategy. Alaska has a primary stage where each voter just picks one candidate, and then in the general stage the voters can rank the top four candidates. Both stages are non partisan, so the top four will usually be two democrats and two Republicans. In a regular election, you just have to be the first choice of many people. But in instant runoff, you need that, plus you have to be the second choice of a very particular set of people. It is very important to limit the field before allowing ranking this way, because candidates need to know which other candidate they need to target for those second choice votes. They have to play nice with that candidate while going hard on the other candidate.

Said another way, Peltola didn't win with second choice votes. In all likelihood, Begich had more second choice votes than Peltola. Begich was probably the second choice of Palin voters and Peltola voters. But Begich was eliminated, and the only second choice votes that counted were the ones from people who voted for him. Peltola knew this was likely to happen, which is why she played nice with Begich for most of the campaign.

It's obvious that Peltola beats Palin in a one on one contest, assuming those Begich voters show up, but the Alaska authorities won't give us enough info to know if Begich might have beaten both Palin and Peltola in one on one contests. He probably would have.
Let's postulate 1 million voters, 451k registered R voters, 450k registered D voters and 99k registered I voters.
Let's postulate that each 1st place vote is 3 points, each 2nd place vote is 2 points and 3rd place gets 1 point.
OBVIOUSLY the registered R voters are going to put Candidate R in 1st place, Candidate I in 2nd place and Candidate D in last place.
OBVIOUSLY the registered D voters are going to put Candidate D in 1st place, Candidate I in 2nd place and Candidate R in last place.
And the registered I voters put Candidate I in 1st place, Candidate D in 2nd place and Candidate R in 3rd place.

In the 1st round of voting - in which only 1st place votes are counted - Candidate R gets 1353k points, Candidate D gets 1350k points and Candidate I gets 902k points.

So Candidate R WHO GOT THE MOST FIRST PLACE VOTES and THEREFORE WOULD HAVE WON IN A NORMAL ELECTION but DOESN'T outright win here because Candidate R does not have a majority.

So we throw away the last place candidate's votes and distribute that candidate's 2nd place choices to the remaining candidates.

So now Candidate R has 1353k + 99k = 1452k points. 

And Candidate D has 1353 + 198k = 1551k points. And wins. Despite the fact that Candidate R would have won in a normal election.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.  NOT.
(09-01-2022, 11:49 AM)InvalidContentWasFoundStarting Wrote: [ -> ]Let's postulate 1 million voters, 451k registered R voters, 450k registered D voters and 99k registered I voters.
Let's postulate that each 1st place vote is 3 points, each 2nd place vote is 2 points and 3rd place gets 1 point.
OBVIOUSLY the registered R voters are going to put Candidate R in 1st place, Candidate I in 2nd place and Candidate D in last place.
OBVIOUSLY the registered D voters are going to put Candidate D in 1st place, Candidate I in 2nd place and Candidate R in last place.
And the registered I voters put Candidate I in 1st place, Candidate D in 2nd place and Candidate R in 3rd place.

In the 1st round of voting - in which only 1st place votes are counted - Candidate R gets 1353k points, Candidate D gets 1350k points and Candidate I gets 902k points.

So Candidate R WHO GOT THE MOST FIRST PLACE VOTES and THEREFORE WOULD HAVE WON IN A NORMAL ELECTION but DOESN'T outright win here because Candidate R does not have a majority.

So we throw away the last place candidate's votes and distribute that candidate's 2nd place choices to the remaining candidates.

So now Candidate R has 1353k + 99k = 1452k points. 

And Candidate D has 1353 + 198k = 1551k points. And wins. Despite the fact that Candidate R would have won in a normal election.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.  NOT.

That's not how it works.  You just described Borda voting, which is used only rarely for things like sports and singing competitions.

Alaska implemented instant runoff, which has been used for the Australian House of Commons and for most elections in Ireland for decades.

Besides, Peltola got more first place votes than Palin did.
Still sexy..
(09-01-2022, 06:52 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-01-2022, 05:58 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe this time to Republicans there will think about running someone more electable.

I don’t think the Trump endorsement helped her either.

That can't be right, our current and rightful president (except when we're complaining about gas prices and inflation) is beloved by all and received more votes than any sitting president ever did. Clearly his endorsement means she must have won, even if the results don't reveal it.
(09-01-2022, 07:32 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-01-2022, 06:52 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t think the Trump endorsement helped her either.

That can't be right, our current and rightful president (except when we're complaining about gas prices and inflation) is beloved by all and received more votes than any sitting president ever did. Clearly his endorsement means she must have won, even if the results don't reveal it.

I don't think you're paying attention, Biden is the current president. Trump is the rightful President.