Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Escape From Kabul HBO documemtary
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I don't know how much I trust HBO to tell the story objectively but this looks pretty raw. I don't have HBO but may have to get it for a month to watch it. Thoughts?

Link
I have complimentary HBO Max access with my Directv account and never use it. I'll have to check this out. Like you, I'm suspect of HBO's willingness to be neutral.
I don't get HBO shows. Critics love them, and the production values are great, and the moods are always tense, but the storytelling just isn't there. The stories are nonsense.
Did you even watch the trailer, Mike?
(09-24-2022, 09:35 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]Did you even watch the trailer, Mike?

I might later.  But friends told me I just had to watch GoT and Westworld and that was my experience. Intense but unfulfilled.
(09-24-2022, 10:04 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-24-2022, 09:35 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]Did you even watch the trailer, Mike?

I might later.  But friends told me I just had to watch GoT and Westworld and that was my experience. Intense but unfulfilled.

GoT and Westworld are not reality. The events of Escape From Kabul actually happened.

Not even remotely the same thing.
(09-25-2022, 12:20 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-24-2022, 10:04 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]I might later.  But friends told me I just had to watch GoT and Westworld and that was my experience. Intense but unfulfilled.

GoT and Westworld are not reality. The events of Escape From Kabul actually happened.

He struggles determining the difference between fiction and reality. Pretty much every thing he says around here is his own fiction.
(09-25-2022, 06:33 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-25-2022, 12:20 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]GoT and Westworld are not reality. The events of Escape From Kabul actually happened.

He struggles determining the difference between fiction and reality. Pretty every thing he says around here is his own fiction.

This is true.
I watched it tonight. It focused exclusively on first person accounts of what happened on the ground. Even more, interviews with Marines on the ground was balanced out with interviews with Taliban and those who managed to evacuate in order to provide of view from every angle. Very interesting.

The one thing which stood out was the whole operation was far, FAR more chaotic than what I had gathered from the reports given at the time. The initial contingent of 150 Marines was completely inadequate for the task they were given. The airfield was overwhelmed by the tens of thousands of people attempting to flee. So much so that aircraft were prevented from taking off. Apache helicopters were slowly flying down the runway a couple of feet off the ground just to clear a path for the C-17s to taxi and takeoff. Even when additional Marines eventually augmented the initial contingent, they were still overwhelmed by the sheer number of people attempting to flee at any cost. Only when Afghan special forces showed up and began executing people on the runway did the crowds clear the runways. It was sheer brutality and endless stories of tragedy and grief.

HBO stayed away from politics. The goal of the documentary was to show what happened at the Kabul airport over a 17-day period that marked the end of a 20-year war, and they did a very good job of it.
(09-28-2022, 11:21 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]I watched it tonight. It focused exclusively on first person accounts of what happened on the ground. Even more, interviews with Marines on the ground was balanced out with interviews with Taliban and those who managed to evacuate in order to provide of view from every angle. Very interesting.

The one thing which stood out was the whole operation was far, FAR more chaotic than what I had gathered from the reports given at the time. The initial contingent of 150 Marines was completely inadequate for the task they were given. The airfield was overwhelmed by the tens of thousands of people attempting to flee. So much so that aircraft were prevented from taking off. Apache helicopters were slowly flying down the runway a couple of feet off the ground just to clear a path for the C-17s to taxi and takeoff. Even when additional Marines eventually augmented the initial contingent, they were still overwhelmed by the sheer number of people attempting to flee at any cost. Only when Afghan special forces showed up and began executing people on the runway did the crowds clear the runways. It was sheer brutality and endless stories of tragedy and grief.

HBO stayed away from politics. The goal of the documentary was to show what happened at the Kabul airport over a 17-day period that marked the end of a 20-year war, and they did a very good job of it.

I watched it and agree with this take.  It was very painful to watch just how brutal it is/was for some of those people and how desperate they were to get out of Taliban control, especially seeing the children and newborns, and then the people falling from the C-17.  Just made me sick to my stomach.  You could also tell just how affected the marines they interviewed were going through all of that and seeing all of that.
Thank you for the reviews. I plan to watch it soon. I was really hoping HBO wasn't going to politicize it and am so glad to hear they left it out.
(09-29-2022, 08:09 AM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-28-2022, 11:21 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]I watched it tonight. It focused exclusively on first person accounts of what happened on the ground. Even more, interviews with Marines on the ground was balanced out with interviews with Taliban and those who managed to evacuate in order to provide of view from every angle. Very interesting.

I watched it and agree with this take.  It was very painful to watch just how brutal it is/was for some of those people and how desperate they were to get out of Taliban control, especially seeing the children and newborns, and then the people falling from the C-17.  Just made me sick to my stomach.  You could also tell just how affected the marines they interviewed were going through all of that and seeing all of that.

It was pretty terrible watching the people at the gates. Our force presence there was clearly inadequate. Just a humanitarian crisis on all sides.
What happened in Afghanistan was a travesty.
(09-29-2022, 06:48 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for the reviews. I plan to watch it soon. I was really hoping HBO wasn't going to politicize it and am so glad to hear they left it out.

Well of course they don't politicize it. It was a massive failure of the Biden Admin, why would they intentionally direct viewers to that point? Now, had it been someone else.....
(10-31-2022, 05:37 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-29-2022, 06:48 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for the reviews. I plan to watch it soon. I was really hoping HBO wasn't going to politicize it and am so glad to hear they left it out.

Well of course they don't politicize it.  It was a massive failure of the Biden Admin, why would they intentionally direct viewers to that point?  Now, had it been someone else.....

Regardless, I'm glad it wasn't politicized. We never should have been there in the first place. Or Iraq for that matter. 

Both a Charlie Foxtrot of epic proportions. At least bin Laden and Hussein are dead.
(11-02-2022, 10:03 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-31-2022, 05:37 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]Well of course they don't politicize it.  It was a massive failure of the Biden Admin, why would they intentionally direct viewers to that point?  Now, had it been someone else.....

Regardless, I'm glad it wasn't politicized. We never should have been there in the first place. Or Iraq for that matter. 

Both a Charlie Foxtrot of epic proportions. At least bin Laden and Hussein are dead.

I agree about Iraq.  

I think it was necessary to invade Afghanistan but we should have dialed down and operated out of a single base (like we do at Guantanamo) once we figured out Bin Ladin wasn't there anymore.  Of course that wouldnt be sustainable long term but we didnt need it to be.  Shrink down to one base, get bin Ladin, then get out.  

Unfortunately the neolibs had bleeding hearts for invading Afghanistan dating back to 1996.  And they got a seat at the table after 9/11.

Anyhow I think the invasion of Iraq was worse for us, in terms of our ability to trust our institutions  and government.  Most people agreed at the time, seemingly just because so many people simply trusted Bush 43.  And they agreed enthusiastically, organizing big counter-rallies for every anti war rally.  But now, you can't find anyone willing to justify his decision to invade.
The reason we invaded Iraq is a lot more complicated than that. Cheney was a driving force in that decision along with factors dating all the way back to Vietnam. Domino effect. I read a very interesting book about Bush, Cheney, Rice, Rumsfeld, Powell and A few others and how they came from their individual careers that culminated in them all being together during the Bush administration and the decisions made leading up to and after 9/11. I can't remember the name of it nor the author right now but it was very interesting.

Regardless, we had no business there.
(11-03-2022, 11:07 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]The reason we invaded Iraq is a lot more complicated than that. Cheney was a driving force in that decision along with factors dating all the way back to Vietnam. Domino effect. I read a very interesting book about Bush, Cheney, Rice, Rumsfeld, Powell and A few others and how they came from their individual careers that culminated in them all being together during the Bush administration and the decisions made leading up to and after 9/11. I can't remember the name of it nor the author right now but it was very interesting.

Regardless, we had no business there.

Did you feel that way in 2003? I did.
(09-24-2022, 05:33 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]I have complimentary HBO Max access with my Directv account and never use it. I'll have to check this out.  Like you, I'm suspect of HBO's willingness to be neutral.

When you turn on "complimentary" HBO each day, does it tell you how good you look and how amazing you are?
Pages: 1 2