Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Another Defensive Tackle?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Please bear with me.

With Fotukasi having a day to day injury, and with size being an apparent issue on the interior defensive line...should the Jags bring someone in?

Apparently Linval Joseph is still available.   He'd be a nice big body that can hold position on the DLine.   Might help in the run game.

People have also mentioned Suh, but who knows if he'd consider the Jags to be a "contender".
(10-04-2022, 02:29 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote: [ -> ]Please bear with me.

With Fotukasi having a day to day injury, and with size being an apparent issue on the interior defensive line...should the Jags bring someone in?

Apparently Linval Joseph is still available.   He'd be a nice big body that can hold position on the DLine.   Might help in the run game.

People have also mentioned Suh, but who knows if he'd consider the Jags to be a "contender".
All for it. It's hard to say exactly what happened on Sunday. Was it really them running it at will or was it the defense genuinely caught or frozen with Hurts ability to keep it and run? The short fields with the turnovers also didn't help.

It's still early. It's just a matter of whether or not it's time to overreact or test what you have on the roster behind Fatukasi.

Pierce is making a name for himself and you would have to think he's the target to shut down defensive gameplan wise. However, it'll be interesting to see how long Fatukasi's injury lingers. Hamstrings are tough and vary per player.

If it's clear this Sunday that the run defense falls sharply minus Fatukasi? You have to consider free agency. Joseph and Suh would be the two to call first though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Suh would be a nice pick up.
I like it, if Hamilton gets hurt we will be in big big trouble
(10-04-2022, 03:35 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Suh would be a nice pick up.

Suh isn't a culture fit
The 2017 defense had a weakness against the run without Darius. History repeating?
Sheldon Richardson would be my choice. After him and those mentioned there's a group of players who are all basically the same guy so just throw a dart or sign the youngest one.
Is Potroast still in the league?
(10-04-2022, 05:00 PM)Jaguar Warrior Wrote: [ -> ]Is Potroast still in the league?

Nope. He's coaching on the Panthers staff.
PotRoast lolol

I forgot about that dude.. He was fun to watch..
They have Israel Antwine, Corey Peters, and Nick Thurman on the Practice Squad.

I know they are either old or very fresh faced, but maybe they could step in quicker with already knowing the defense?
(10-04-2022, 05:47 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: [ -> ]They have Israel Antwine, Corey Peters, and Nick Thurman on the Practice Squad.

I know they are either old or very fresh faced, but maybe they could step in quicker with already knowing the defense?

Do either of those 3 PS players make you feel good about their ability to help the Jags stop the run?  I didn't focus on the Jaguars preseason so I can't speak knowledgeably about them.

Are they good, yet hidden by Jacksonville on the PS? Goalline situations? Run game? Push up the middle?

SIZE?
(10-04-2022, 06:03 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-04-2022, 05:47 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: [ -> ]They have Israel Antwine, Corey Peters, and Nick Thurman on the Practice Squad.

Do either of those 3 PS players make you feel good about their ability to help the Jags stop the run?  I didn't focus on the Jaguars preseason so I can't speak knowledgeably about them.

Are they good, yet hidden by Jacksonville on the PS?

Jags have a new defensive system. They targeted a number of starting level FA's who seem to fit their systems very well.

Sure, we don't have solid concrete evidence any of them will fit/work, it doesn't mean you cannot extrapolate similar success for the depth players on PS?

Jags don't need any of them to be dominant, just be replacement level and they should okay this week.
Sunday was an outlier. We gave up 210 on 50 carries. That 50 carries was because of game flow (never making them one dimensional with the score.) and a lot of the yards were bad fits due to the read option scheme, not guys getting pushed downfield.
(10-04-2022, 04:25 PM)Jag149 Wrote: [ -> ]The 2017 defense had a weakness against the run without Darius. History repeating?

I was thinking of this as well.

Are they good, yet hidden by Jacksonville on the PS? Goalline situations? Run game? Push up the middle?

SIZE?

Corey Peters is a massive dude with lots of experience. He's 34, been in the league for 11 seasons and is 6'3 335.

Israel Antwine is a rookie with some size. 6'3 305 and has plenty of strength. You'd see clips of him pushing guys around in training camp on the daily.

Wouldn't be surprised to see both of them activated if Foley can't go.

I don't think a Darius type trade is out of the question either. They could go that route as well.
(10-04-2022, 07:24 PM)jj82284 Wrote: [ -> ]Sunday was an outlier.  We gave up 210 on 50 carries.  That 50 carries was because of game flow (never making them one dimensional with the score.) and a lot of the yards were bad fits due to the read option scheme, not guys getting pushed downfield.

Exactly. We aren't bad against the run, we had a bad game. I consistently saw Allen in the backfield but guessed wrong on the option a few times and the LBs were slow to fill their gaps because of Hurts. It happens, and that's what makes Hurts dangerous. But they also have probably the best OL in football and like you said, they weren't blowing us up more than they were taking advantage of slow reads by our defense. It happens, and clearly the mobile QB is still our weak point (as it is for a lot of teams) but to say we're bad against the run after that outlier game is silly. WAY too many extenuating circumstances last week.
I really wanted this team to draft John Ridgeway out of Arkansas back in April. Just for this type of reason. I think Dallas got him in RD5, waived him about three weeks ago and then Washington claimed him two days later.

There's good options out there though. Star Lotulelei has been out of football since March. If you need a space eater for a week or two he may even be a good option at this point.

....beat me to it, this is the more likely scenario if Foley is unable to play (or limited).

SIZE?

Protip: go to google, type "Jaguars 2022 practice squad", and well, there ya go for the bolded

Spoiler: they're all 6'3" or so and 300lbs plus (IIRC perters is closer to 330, and closest to NT type of the 3)

I don't know that they give me any less confidence than signing a dude off the street who may or may not be in shape, familiar with our schemes, etc. Or, better said, I don't see it as my duty to differentiate between name recognition and past performance vs. evaluating the guys they see in practice every day. I trust the decision makers to make the wise move. (remember when everyone fretted over us cutting Gotsis?)
Pages: 1 2 3