Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Save The Planet!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I’ve often made the same argument; the planet has been here for BILLIONS of years and has seen every kind of thing a planet can experience. At one time, 98% of the planet was covered in ice. The north and south poles were rain forest. The planet has been changing since day one. Oh, and we are products of the earth. 

200 years of human industrial activity vs 4 and half BILLIONS of years. Carlin says it better than I can..

https://twitter.com/atexan575/status/157...x7myO6r4lg
"Over the last week, the mainstream news media claimed that hurricanes are becoming more frequent & intense, but they’re not, as the data clearly show.

What’s more, it’s clear that the media are engaging in *deliberate* misinformation. These aren’t innocent mistakes.

Consider this article in @FT claiming that “hurricane frequency is on the rise,” based on NOAA data.

But NOAA says “After adjusting for a likely under-count of hurricanes in the pre-satellite era there is essentially no long-term trend in hurricane counts.”"

[Image: FeEzwdjVQAEDs5S.jpg]

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/15765...03330.html
EARTH FIRST! We'll pave the other planets later!!!!!!! LOL
(10-05-2022, 10:05 AM)The Drifter Wrote: [ -> ]EARTH FIRST! We'll pave the other planets later!!!!!!! LOL

hahahaha
You should read Sphere by Michael Chricton. The math expert character (basically the Jeff Goldblum equivalent in the story) has an extended rant saying "The planet is not in danger! WE are in danger. Life on Earth will be fine. The human species may not be fine."
(10-05-2022, 10:50 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]You should read Sphere by Michael Chricton.  The math expert character (basically the Jeff Goldblum equivalent in the story) has an extended rant saying "The planet is not in danger! WE are in danger.  Life on Earth will be fine.  The human species may not be fine."

I heard an interesting theory.  Billions and billions of planets, lots of them with the conditions to harbor life, and yet, where are all the aliens from these other planets?  Why have they not contacted us or come to see us?  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_para...roy_itself

This is the argument that technological civilizations may usually or invariably destroy themselves before or shortly after developing radio or spaceflight technology. The astrophysicist Sebastian von Hoerner stated that the progress of science and technology on Earth was driven by two factors—the struggle for domination and the desire for an easy life. The former potentially leads to complete destruction, while the latter may lead to biological or mental degeneration.[76] Possible means of annihilation via major global issues, where global interconnectedness actually makes humanity more vulnerable than resilient,[77] are many,[78] including war, accidental environmental contamination or damage, the development of biotechnology,[79] synthetic life like mirror life,[80] resource depletionclimate change,[81] or poorly-designed artificial intelligence
[Image: FeRSSXoWYAATbiM?format=jpg&name=small]
(10-05-2022, 04:21 PM)Ronster Wrote: [ -> ]https://twitter.com/nahbabeenah/status/1...eXbkB-Y-hA

In theory it could, as a side effect. But then, so could major volcanic eruptions.
(10-05-2022, 04:21 PM)Ronster Wrote: [ -> ]https://twitter.com/nahbabeenah/status/1...eXbkB-Y-hA

It's a stupid headline because if the "nuclear winter" effect really was desirable, we could get it just as easily from setting the bombs off over the ocean.
I recycle because I feel it's the right thing to do on a personal level but I'm not a fanatic about it. While I wish more folks would recycle, what they do is their own business. I definitely believe in climate change because it's happened since the planet was created. Can we stop it? No.
(10-05-2022, 10:32 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]I recycle because I feel it's the right thing to do on a personal level but I'm not a fanatic about it. While I wish more folks would recycle, what they do is their own business. I definitely believe in climate change because it's happened since the planet was created. Can we stop it? No

i recycle, only because it’s an extra trash day and it makes my wife feel good. But, you do know that most of that ends up at the same place as your garbage? 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/america-c...86f48b7740
I tried to get into recycling but our local city recycling collection is so hit and miss on picking it all up. So I quit caring and started throwing everything away. If they're not worried about it, neither am I..
It all goes to the same place to get sorted anyways. Recycling, and specifically paying for it, is a huge scam.
Steel and aluminum usually do get recycled. Sometimes they are even taken out of the regular trash steam, for recycling. The plastic and paper you put in the bin may or may not be recycled. Which is fine, there is not as much environmental benefit to recycling paper and plastic because there is a premium on virgin material and making new costs about the same amount of energy as recycling. But with metal there is no "virgin premium" and new extraction takes a lot more energy than recycling.
Meh. Personal choice.
(10-05-2022, 10:32 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]I recycle because I feel it's the right thing to do on a personal level but I'm not a fanatic about it. While I wish more folks would recycle, what they do is their own business. I definitely believe in climate change because it's happened since the planet was created. Can we stop it? No.

I recycle because the county gave out 96 gallon bins ( where were they 10 years  ago when other places gave out bins for yard waste as well). At first it was a hahah, let’s see how long it took to fill this joker up.  Then I realized it didn’t take long.  Then I realized that they have a truck with an arm to pick this thing up and dump it. They don’t even check inside (aside from the camera I assume is inside the truck to make sure no one tries to recycle another person).  So my recycling bin has been an instrument for me to clear my house of recycleables, and other things I either can’t throw away or a mid week trash dump.  I feel bad. I do.  But I’m sure someone is employed by the company to filter it out. [BLEEP], my neighbor uses it as a  midweek trash collection.
(10-06-2022, 10:35 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Steel and aluminum usually do get recycled.  Sometimes they are even taken out of the regular trash steam, for recycling.  The plastic and paper you put in the bin may or may not be recycled.  Which is fine, there is not as much environmental benefit to recycling paper and plastic because there is a premium on virgin material and making new costs about the same amount of energy as recycling.  But with metal there is no "virgin premium" and new extraction takes a lot more energy than recycling.

Yeah?  Is that the case?  So who cares?

How many metric tons of aluminum have you recycled over the last ten years??? 

Rhetorical question.  They want paper, plastic whatever… they’ll get it.  The fact we pretend to be bigger than Mother Nature/earth is comical at best.  I don’t care about the worlds population.  And that is leaving out religious arguments.