Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Truth is: The defense is mostly bark and very little bite
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Three weeks in a row, and 4 weeks if you include week 1, this defense we are all proud of and think are top 10, allowed the opponent to drive for the game winning score.

The pass rush we think we have, doesn't get home enough and is forcing Caldwell to call blitzes that are leaving our two zone CBs in M2M where they get burned.

Which brings me to a complaint not many have made: Caldwell is maybe being too aggressive. Sending both ILB sometimes and leaving the middle wide open for crossing routes.

Him blitzing as he does maybe necessary because the OLB aren't getting home. Allen is great at getting close but no prize. And Walker after week 1, is just doing the same thing every snap. Running into the body of the Tackle and getting ridden right past the QB. Haven't seen Key any, and Smoot probably needs Walker's minutes.

The run defense looked better this week against the 3rd string RB. I noticed Peter's played the NT, while Hamilton was a DE. Hamilton has been disappointing IMO because the way they raved about him in training camp I thought he was going be as immovable as Wilfork was in New England. Plus I thought he would have 5-8 sacks on the season. They said he was unblockable during camp! And teams have been running within the tackle box on us. That wouldn't happen if Hamilton was dominant and demanding double teams as he should.

While the offense is catching alotta blame, I think it's time the defense gets its share.

Edit:  It just hit me that perhaps Walker needs move to DE since he has no moves? DEs in 34 defenses simply need to bullrush and that seems like all he has lol.
if josh allen and our number 1 overall pick could actually do something, he wouldn't be put in a position of constantly having to send an extra guy.
We are short on defense by one CB, one more disruptive DT, and we could use probably use a SS too. (a healthy NT would help as well of course)

It's close to being good IMO.

Today was just a case of lots of quick passes keeping the pass rush negated, Griffin being picked on and exposed, plus LBs and SS missing some key tackles underneath.

Colts had a good game plan and executed.
Need to take notes from the Eagles defence
The two games we won, the other teams top receivers were hurt. The Commanders ran by our DBs, we couldn't cover AJ Brown, Michael Pittman destroyed us. Our secondary is suspect and our Pass Rush isn't consistent enough to make up for it.
We all knew in preseason that this defense is severely lacking depth. Now two things have happened: we haven't had our best DT, and one of our CBs has failed. Maybe things will get better if we get Fatukasi back, but I don't know what to do about Shaq Griffin.
(10-17-2022, 06:27 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]We all knew in preseason that this defense is severely lacking depth. Now two things have happened: we haven't had our best DT, and one of our CBs has failed. Maybe things will get better if we get Fatukasi back, but I don't know what to do about Shaq Griffin.
This. People don't want to hear that but it's mostly the case. Fatukasi being absent is hurting the defense as a whole. They'll have to continue to bolster a few key positions going into next year.

At the moment let's just hope the coaching staff can get the adjustments in place and the players can execute. Still hopeful they can pull out at least four more wins this year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
(10-17-2022, 06:27 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]We all knew in preseason that this defense is severely lacking depth.  Now two things have happened: we haven't had our best DT, and one of our CBs has failed.  Maybe things will get better if we get Fatukasi back, but I don't know what to do about Shaq Griffin.

I know he isn't an ideal slot corner, but i'd much rather see Griffin play slot because from what I've noticed anyway, Darius Williams has been pretty good in coverage. I also think it depends on the matchups tho, if you play a team with a stellar Slot guy, than by all means put Shaq outside on the #2 guy and let Tyson go toe to toe with the #1.
One week the offense is unproductive. The next the defense can’t stop anybody. Every so often special teams feels left out, so they commit a game changing mistake. The next week the offense is pissed off so they come out pistols blazing and go up double digits. The defense then looks good on first and second down, but on 3rd and 18 either the pass receiver gets 19 or we get hit with a personal foul…..first down! One week our “ generational QB “ has 5 turnovers, the next week our “ unblockable “ defensive ends and linebackers get zero sacks and zero turnovers against a team with 5 of its starters out with injuries. The next week our QB completes 90% of his passes, leads the offense on a 10 minute fourth quarter td drive , and the paper tiger defense plays a loose “ prevent defense” and on third down and forever gives up a home run td pass. But have no fear……coaches and players say they “ saw a lot of good things out there today and these are correctable mistakes “
Just pre-record your post game comments , coaches and players. They’re the same every week.
(10-17-2022, 06:27 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]We all knew in preseason that this defense is severely lacking depth.  Now two things have happened: we haven't had our best DT, and one of our CBs has failed.  Maybe things will get better if we get Fatukasi back, but I don't know what to do about Shaq Griffin.

We knew we lacked depth but we didn't know how bad some of the starters were gonna be.  We thought we had a few good depth guys though like Smoot and Key and both have been disappointments.  This is why it's so important to build through the draft, something we haven't been able to do. Hell our oline has been lack luster and we took a olineman in the 2nd round last year and he can't even crack a top 6 to get in the line up after Bartch went down
Basically didn't defend the middle of the field and made no adjustments even late. The sideline shots were generally when blitzed.

[Image: pass-chart_RYA238179_2022-REG-6_1665953007794.jpeg]