Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Through 6 weeks, the team is exactly what we expected.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
We're 2-4. Most people were expecting around 7 wins which seems about right still.

We're infuriatingly inconsistent. As most very young teams are. We're the 4th youngest team in the league.

We're in every game, even the ugly ones. And a couple bad bounces/decisions from 6-0 honestly. None of these games were out of reach.

That defense is hot and cold. Trevor is hot and cold, trending upward. Walker is hot and cold.

We still lack some talent at key positions and depth.

As the season continues, we'll win more of these close games than we lose. One thing I've noticed is we tend to make new mistakes to screw ourselves, not repeating the old ones. That's annoying, but shows they are doing something.

We will be picking in prime position to get a true X receiver.

Most importantly for me, Doug has us looking like an NFL team. None of these games have we looked truly outclassed like in the past. And on top of that, we will finally have coaching stability for more than a single season. We're going to see so much growth from this year to next and this year is going to drive us absolutely insane. I think we all got a little too high after week 2 and 3, and clearly too low after week 4 and 5. 

We *MIGHT* put it together quick enough this year to make a late run, but I doubt it happens soon enough. None of us realistically expected playoffs going into this season. We wanted a competent, competitive team. We have one. We are going to win some games we have no business winnning (Chargers) and lose games we should win (Texans)
The ceiling has always been .500 this year. Anyone expecting more wasn't being realistic. We're still a few key players away including WR, both lines, and CB. The Tight Ends could be better but they aren't the liability they were in the past, same with the safeties.I expected to see games this year where we were in them all the way, and that's what we've got.
I am still expecting six wins. It's any given Sunday folks. Again, for the "Same old Jaguars" crowd. Would you rather lose $10 or $100? This is a good team in the making. Anybody with eyes can see it. It may happen towards the end of November, it may happen in the middle of December. Hell, it may not happen until the season opener in 2023.

However, the arrow is pointing up. The future looks bright. Despite all of these little issues, turnovers, missed assignments, blown coverages, etc. They have virtually been in every single game this year. That's something to be proud of. That's not the same old Jaguars. Anybody with eyes can see that. At this point in time?

I think you need to do a history lesson to see where this team is most likely heading over the next four years. Jack Del Rio. 5 - 11 during his first year, with a stout defense, strong running game, questionable QB play and lack of skill position players. After that? They looked pretty damn good folks. They had a nice four year stretch of competent, competitive, play-off caliber football.

I think this team can get to that level, I believe this team will get to that level starting next year. I think they'll be better because of the coaching staff we have in place and because of the overall QB play being the best we've seen here in years. You can slice it up however the hell you want about Lawrence. He's looked pretty damn good in three contests this year. Hasn't even reached his 25th start yet and this is all in a new system with tons of new faces around him.
The thing I find really concerning is the cap situation. It’s just a serious problem winning only a handful of games and having no ability to add talent.

Yes, their is the draft, but how many holes can be filled in one draft? Not to mention this organization has been abysmal at drafting over the years.
(10-17-2022, 09:39 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]The ceiling has always been .500 this year. Anyone expecting more wasn't being realistic. We're still a few key players away including WR, both lines, and CB. The Tight Ends could be better but they aren't the liability they were in the past, same with the safeties.I expected to see games this year where we were in them all the way, and that's what we've got.

Naw, we should be 5-1 right now.
(10-17-2022, 09:52 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]I am still expecting six wins. It's any given Sunday folks. Again, for the "Same old Jaguars" crowd. Would you rather lose $10 or $100? This is a good team in the making. Anybody with eyes can see it. It may happen towards the end of November, it may happen in the middle of December. Hell, it may not happen until the season opener in 2023.

However, the arrow is pointing up. The future looks bright. Despite all of these little issues, turnovers, missed assignments, blown coverages, etc. They have virtually been in every single game this year. That's something to be proud of. That's not the same old Jaguars. Anybody with eyes can see that. At this point in time?

I think you need to do a history lesson to see where this team is most likely heading over the next four years. Jack Del Rio. 5 - 11 during his first year, with a stout defense, strong running game, questionable QB play and lack of skill position players. After that? They looked pretty damn good folks. They had a nice four year stretch of competent, competitive, play-off caliber football.

I think this team can get to that level, I believe this team will get to that level starting next year. I think they'll be better because of the coaching staff we have in place and because of the overall QB play being the best we've seen here in years. You can slice it up however the hell you want about Lawrence. He's looked pretty damn good in three contests this year. Hasn't even reached his 25th start yet and this is all in a new system with tons of new faces around him.
The bolded needs to be emphasized.

Anyone who was predicting 10 wins was just drinking the teal kool aid. I actually think the offense is better than expected. 20+ points in every game but one. That's as many 20+ point weeks as the entire season last year. They're moving the ball really well (sometimes with ease) and if they can clean up the redzone issues, the sky is the limit.

Defense was running on fools gold the first few weeks of the season. They weren't going to keep up that turnover rate. The pass rush has been non existent the last few weeks. 

I'm not happy they're losing (obviously) but I'm actually excited for the future for once. Get me a true X receiver who can win 1 on 1 matchups and one more corner..... We cookin.

(10-17-2022, 10:00 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-17-2022, 09:39 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]The ceiling has always been .500 this year. Anyone expecting more wasn't being realistic. We're still a few key players away including WR, both lines, and CB. The Tight Ends could be better but they aren't the liability they were in the past, same with the safeties.I expected to see games this year where we were in them all the way, and that's what we've got.

Based on what? You are what your record says you are.
(10-17-2022, 09:57 AM)wg171 Wrote: [ -> ]The thing I find really concerning is the cap situation. It’s just a serious problem winning only a handful of games and having no ability to add talent.

Yes, their is the draft, but how many holes can be filled in one draft? Not to mention this organization has been abysmal at drafting over the years.

Griffin will be out of here next year. He's eating up 7% of your total cap space to the tune of $16.4M. Rayshawn Jenkins is costing you $9.9M this year and he's a little over 4% of your total cap space. Then you have Roy Robertson-Harris at DT costing you $9M flat this year and 3.8% of your cap space. That leaves Engram and Marvin Jones on offense who both probably won't be back here next year. Combined they're tying up $17.5M and close to 7.5% of your cap space. Then Scherff at $8.6M this year and 3.7% of your cap space. 

A lot of these guys are going to have their positions backfilled next year. I think you're looking at Griffin's potential replacement already with Williams signed on this year. I think they'll have to make a decision on Jenkins in the off season as he's played relatively well early this year but there's still a lot of time there left for that to change. Head over into the college forum man. That's where a lot of this stuff is broken down. It's fun over there sometimes. 

But, at the moment. You're looking at CB, S & DT as top needs defensively next year and WR, TE & G on offense as top needs. Can they fill all of that in one off season? Maybe, maybe not. They'll try though. Walker Little at some point needs to get some work in at Guard. Unless they feel he's due to replace Taylor at RT next year in the off season. Bartch going on IR pretty much seals his fate IMHO. If they resign him he's more than likely your Tyler Shatley 2.0 depth player.

We will have no TE's next year at the moment going into the off season signed.
(10-17-2022, 10:06 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-17-2022, 09:57 AM)wg171 Wrote: [ -> ]The thing I find really concerning is the cap situation. It’s just a serious problem winning only a handful of games and having no ability to add talent.

Griffin will be out of here next year. He's eating up 7% of your total cap space to the tune of $16.4M. Rayshawn Jenkins is costing you $9.9M this year and he's a little over 4% of your total cap space. Then you have Roy Robertson-Harris at DT costing you $9M flat this year and 3.8% of your cap space. That leaves Engram and Marvin Jones on offense who both probably won't be back here next year. Combined they're tying up $17.5M and close to 7.5% of your cap space. Then Scherff at $8.6M this year and 3.7% of your cap space. 

A lot of these guys are going to have their positions backfilled next year. I think you're looking at Griffin's potential replacement already with Williams signed on this year. I think they'll have to make a decision on Jenkins in the off season as he's played relatively well early this year but there's still a lot of time there left for that to change. Head over into the college forum man. That's where a lot of this stuff is broken down. It's fun over there sometimes. 

But, at the moment. You're looking at CB, S & DT as top needs defensively next year and WR, TE & G on offense as top needs. Can they fill all of that in one off season? Maybe, maybe not. They'll try though. Walker Little at some point needs to get some work in at Guard. Unless they feel he's due to replace Taylor at RT next year in the off season. Bartch going on IR pretty much seals his fate IMHO. If they resign him he's more than likely your Tyler Shatley 2.0 depth player.

Egh. The cap doesn't exist anyway. There's always smoke and mirrors you can conjure up to make it work.
(10-17-2022, 10:18 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-17-2022, 10:06 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Griffin will be out of here next year. He's eating up 7% of your total cap space to the tune of $16.4M. Rayshawn Jenkins is costing you $9.9M this year and he's a little over 4% of your total cap space. Then you have Roy Robertson-Harris at DT costing you $9M flat this year and 3.8% of your cap space. That leaves Engram and Marvin Jones on offense who both probably won't be back here next year. Combined they're tying up $17.5M and close to 7.5% of your cap space. Then Scherff at $8.6M this year and 3.7% of your cap space. 

Egh. The cap doesn't exist anyway. There's always smoke and mirrors you can conjure up to make it work.

That's true. Numbers are always fun to look at though. Jags02 used to have a field day with that stuff around here. Miss the guy!
(10-17-2022, 09:16 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]We're 2-4. Most people were expecting around 7 wins which seems about right still.

We're infuriatingly inconsistent. As most very young teams are. We're the 4th youngest team in the league.

We're in every game, even the ugly ones. And a couple bad bounces/decisions from 6-0 honestly. None of these games were out of reach.

That defense is hot and cold. Trevor is hot and cold, trending upward. Walker is hot and cold.

We still lack some talent at key positions and depth.

As the season continues, we'll win more of these close games than we lose. One thing I've noticed is we tend to make new mistakes to screw ourselves, not repeating the old ones. That's annoying, but shows they are doing something.

We will be picking in prime position to get a true X receiver.

Most importantly for me, Doug has us looking like an NFL team. None of these games have we looked truly outclassed like in the past. And on top of that, we will finally have coaching stability for more than a single season. We're going to see so much growth from this year to next and this year is going to drive us absolutely insane. I think we all got a little too high after week 2 and 3, and clearly too low after week 4 and 5. 

We *MIGHT* put it together quick enough this year to make a late run, but I doubt it happens soon enough. None of us realistically expected playoffs going into this season. We wanted a competent, competitive team. We have one. We are going to win some games we have no business winnning (Chargers) and lose games we should win (Texans)

I Concur to ALL of the Above. Some of us threw out the Playoff, Division Winners, 10 Game Winners, etc. Now they're mad because reality has set in. From day one I speculated that by mid season we will hit that stride.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
(10-17-2022, 10:00 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]

Naw, "could" be might be right, but this team was horrifically bad the last couple seasons. We've seen great progress in just a few months, but the roster is in "play with anybody" not "beat everybody" mode this year.
(10-17-2022, 10:00 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-17-2022, 09:52 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]I am still expecting six wins. It's any given Sunday folks. Again, for the "Same old Jaguars" crowd. Would you rather lose $10 or $100? This is a good team in the making. Anybody with eyes can see it. It may happen towards the end of November, it may happen in the middle of December. Hell, it may not happen until the season opener in 2023.

The bolded needs to be emphasized.

Anyone who was predicting 10 wins was just drinking the teal kool aid. I actually think the offense is better than expected. 20+ points in every game but one. That's as many 20+ point weeks as the entire season last year. They're moving the ball really well (sometimes with ease) and if they can clean up the redzone issues, the sky is the limit.

Defense was running on fools gold the first few weeks of the season. They weren't going to keep up that turnover rate. The pass rush has been non existent the last few weeks. 

I'm not happy they're losing (obviously) but I'm actually excited for the future for once. Get me a true X receiver who can win 1 on 1 matchups and one more corner..... We cookin.

(10-17-2022, 10:00 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Naw, we should be 5-1 right now.
Based on what? You are what your record says you are.
Based on us shooting ourself in the foot. Our record wasn't our ceiling
(10-17-2022, 10:47 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-17-2022, 10:00 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Naw, we should be 5-1 right now.

Naw, "could" be might be right, but this team was horrifically bad the last couple seasons. We've seen great progress in just a few months, but the roster is in "play with anybody" not "beat everybody" mode this year.

My point was that we haven't played to our ceiling unless you think we have been playing our best football
(10-17-2022, 11:07 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-17-2022, 10:47 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Naw, "could" be might be right, but this team was horrifically bad the last couple seasons. We've seen great progress in just a few months, but the roster is in "play with anybody" not "beat everybody" mode this year.

My point was that we haven't played to our ceiling unless you think we have been playing our best football

Hopefully we haven't, but the final score can't be the only metric to use on how their playing. If it is then Doug gets fired at the end of this year because this is a 4-6 win team that's played pretty well so far.
Also through 6 weeks, this forum is exactly what we expected.
(10-17-2022, 11:13 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]Also through 6 weeks, this forum is exactly what we expected.

Man you're not lying lol
(10-17-2022, 11:07 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-17-2022, 10:47 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Naw, "could" be might be right, but this team was horrifically bad the last couple seasons. We've seen great progress in just a few months, but the roster is in "play with anybody" not "beat everybody" mode this year.

You don't play at your ceiling every week no matter who you are. Chiefs lost to the Colts in Indy.

You are one of the few that high unrealistic expectations for this team this year (just like every year).
(10-17-2022, 11:29 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-17-2022, 11:07 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]My point was that we haven't played to our ceiling unless you think we have been playing our best football
You don't play at your ceiling every week no matter who you are. Chiefs lost to the Colts in Indy.

You are one of the few that high unrealistic expectations for this team this year (just like every year).

The team that makes fewer mistakes often comes out ahead in many contests. Doesn't mean they played to their ceiling. 

We are not consistently the team with fewer mistakes yet. 

Few expected us to be. 

But if you somehow can only see progress in the W/L column and refuse to see how much better this team is than the past few seasons of it's existence, then you'll never get to enjoy the rise out of the cellar we have begun. 
You're just stuck in the cellar waiting on overnight success that actually takes much, much longer than that.
(10-17-2022, 11:13 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]Also through 6 weeks, this forum is exactly what we expected.

short, and to the point. You're not wrong.
I think my frustration lies in that we are in a weak division, had clearly inferior teams to play, and play down to it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5