Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Run/Pass Balance Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This topic keeps coming up in thread after thread. 

Figured we'd give it one of its own.

As the weeks wear on - it has become clear that this line run blocks much better than it protects the QB. 

Just one more reason to keep the attack more balanced in favor of the run. 

Chart below shows we have a win rate in run block around 70% while the pass pro is down around 50%

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1...WMOKdpPJrg
I have a question about pass block and offensive line statistics which generally say the Jags are good at. Do they dig deep enough to factor in when a QB is getting the ball out super quick as Trevor has, specifically in the 2 blowout wins? Does it credit the O-line when the QB is really the one responsible in those instances?
(10-19-2022, 03:48 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]I have a question about pass block and offensive line statistics which generally say the Jags are good at.  Do they dig deep enough to factor in when a QB is getting the ball out super quick as Trevor has, specifically in the 2 blowout wins? Does it credit the O-line when the QB is really the one responsible in those instances?

I think the numbers above are generally saying our linemen are not "winning" their matchups (collectively) about half the time as pass protectors. 

I'm sure certain linemen are losing more than others of course, but the system grading this likely considers the time expired between the snap and the release of the ball. 
Don't know for certain.
(10-19-2022, 05:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-19-2022, 03:48 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]I have a question about pass block and offensive line statistics which generally say the Jags are good at.  Do they dig deep enough to factor in when a QB is getting the ball out super quick as Trevor has, specifically in the 2 blowout wins? Does it credit the O-line when the QB is really the one responsible in those instances?

I think the numbers above are generally saying our linemen are not "winning" their matchups (collectively) about half the time as pass protectors. 

I'm sure certain linemen are losing more than others of course, but the system grading this likely considers the time expired between the snap and the release of the ball. 
Don't know for certain.

The line's inconsistent pass blocking definitely had an impact of the loss Sunday. I think Trevor ran into one sack but the others were on individual linemen getting beaten like a drum. When Trevor can't see it coming and can't even try to get away that means a linemen got whipped.

Personally I think the success of the running game so far has had more to do with how teams are trying to defense the Jaguars than how the line is playing. When we need a tough yard our line doesn't create movement.
It appears the Jaguars have the best pass rush D in the league.

It also looks like the Colts have a terrible oline based on that graph. Even though we have the best pass rush D, and the Colts have a bad oline, Matt Ryan still didn’t get sacked and threw for 3 miles against our defense.
(10-19-2022, 07:22 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]It appears the Jaguars have the best pass rush D in the league.

It also looks like the Colts have a terrible oline based on that graph. Even though we have the best pass rush D, and the Colts have a bad oline, Matt Ryan still didn’t get sacked and threw for 3 miles against our defense.

I don't think we were trying to sack Ryan.  We were playing 2 gap against the possibility of run plays, and daring Ryan to make risky passes.  We were hoping for another multi interception performance.  Ryan cashed in on underneath passes and we didn't adjust.
(10-19-2022, 07:22 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]It appears the Jaguars have the best pass rush D in the league.

You can't really sack a guy that gets the ball out in 2 seconds or less

They adjusted their offensive gameplan after getting him killed the first time
(10-19-2022, 08:18 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]

You can't really sack a guy that gets the ball out in 2 seconds or less

I hope Doug sat down with Caldwell for hours and looked at the tape and decided what they needed to do to make adjustments.   Just getting Griffin off the field would of been a good start.  I know the LBs gave up a lot of yards too but I think they will make the adjustments with the help of the Safeties
(10-19-2022, 08:21 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-19-2022, 08:18 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]You can't really sack a guy that gets the ball out in 2 seconds or less

I hope Doug sat down with Caldwell for hours and looked at the tape and decided what they needed to do to make adjustments.   Just getting Griffin off the field would of been a good start.  I know the LBs gave up a lot of yards too but I think they will make the adjustments with the help of the Safeties

Yup. With Griffin on the outside, you’re asking a hell of a lot from your safeties with shading, while still helping out the backers. 

But yes, you have to get Griffin off the field.
(10-19-2022, 08:27 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-19-2022, 08:21 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]I hope Doug sat down with Caldwell for hours and looked at the tape and decided what they needed to do to make adjustments.   Just getting Griffin off the field would of been a good start.  I know the LBs gave up a lot of yards too but I think they will make the adjustments with the help of the Safeties

Yup. With Griffin on the outside, you’re asking a hell of a lot from your safeties with shading, while still helping out the backers. 

You just have to mix it up.  I think last week was a fluke our LBs have been really good in coverage before last week
(10-19-2022, 08:31 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-19-2022, 08:27 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Yup. With Griffin on the outside, you’re asking a hell of a lot from your safeties with shading, while still helping out the backers. 

You just have to mix it up.  I think last week was a fluke our LBs have been really good in coverage before last week

Yeah man, Llyod has been pretty dang good.
(10-19-2022, 08:21 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-19-2022, 08:18 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]You can't really sack a guy that gets the ball out in 2 seconds or less

we'll see
other teams will try to attack that way for sure

There are a few ways to fix it, and they'll need to run it this week  - and they need to get the Mike to call it on the field at times because one of the reasons we didn't adjust early on is that Indy did it at tempo in the hurry-up 
The whole back seven need to be chattering about what they are seeing and what they are doing. 

I think that whatever packages they intend to deploy to slow this concept down should include some disguise.
Don't give it away with your safeties and let certain CBs drop in and out of press looks.

Aaron Beasley was talking about it the other day, and he said they used to see that bunch formation come out and the three defenders would know which receiver to play man against, which defender would take him  - and then the other two DBs would play a tight zone to limit the other two receivers in the bunch. 

Our guys did NOT have something like this ready to go.