Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Remembering Lynyrd Skynyrd, Oct 20th, 1977
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Truely a Great Band........

On this day in history, Oct. 20, 1977, Lynyrd Skynyrd bandmates killed in horrific plane crash

Lead singer Ronnie Van Zant among victims, crash killed 'one of the great American musicians,' says survivor Gene Odom

Three musicians from the iconic American rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd, plus three other people, were killed in a terrifying plane crash on the Louisiana-Mississippi border on this day in history, Oct. 20, 1977. 

Lead singer and founder Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist Steve Gaines, and his sister, backup singer Cassie Gaines, were all killed on impact. 

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/this-d...lane-crash
I am free as a bird now. And as bird you cannot change. Cha cha cha cha changeee lorrrrrrrd I can't channnnnnnge. Never gets old.
There's a documentary on YouTube detailing the horrific events of the crash. It never should have happened to begin with. It was basically death by misadventure due to the idiocy of the pilot.
I read somewhere that it was originally supposed to take Aerosmith somewhere but their manager wouldn't let them on the plane due to some previous issues. If that's true, it's even more of a tragedy.
(10-20-2022, 01:08 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]I read somewhere that it was originally supposed to take Aerosmith somewhere but their manager wouldn't let them on the plane due to some previous issues. If that's true, it's even more of a tragedy.

Idk, as good as LS is, Aerosmith is better.  Steven Tyler’s is kinda hot for an old lady.
(10-20-2022, 07:39 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-20-2022, 01:08 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]I read somewhere that it was originally supposed to take Aerosmith somewhere but their manager wouldn't let them on the plane due to some previous issues. If that's true, it's even more of a tragedy.

Idk, as good as LS is, Aerosmith is better.  Steven Tyler’s is kinda hot for an old lady.

Didn't know you wandered that way.  Does your wife know?
(10-20-2022, 07:57 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-20-2022, 07:39 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]Idk, as good as LS is, Aerosmith is better.  Steven Tyler’s is kinda hot for an old lady.

Didn't know you wandered that way.  Does your wife know?

I walk her way.
(10-20-2022, 07:58 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-20-2022, 07:57 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]Didn't know you wandered that way.  Does your wife know?

I walk her way.

Dream on..

I beg to differ.  I have see Aerosmith live a couple of times and they are horrible.
(10-21-2022, 04:12 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-20-2022, 07:39 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]Idk, as good as LS is, Aerosmith is better.  Steven Tyler’s is kinda hot for an old lady.

I beg to differ.  I have see Aerosmith live a couple of times and they are horrible.

I have not seen Ls live.  Wish I was able.  I love their music.  I have seen Aerosmith.  That show was awesome.  Not AC/DC cool, but still better than what I’d imagine LS could do.  Glad you had a good time.  But hard to beat the fine details in other shows of what I’d consider higher caliber.  Not to take away from LS of course.  Even way back Bon Scott had a LS belt on when they were trying to make it, hahah
[Image: Screen%20Shot%202021-01-31%20at%209.41.40%20pm.png]
That’s high praise right there

Aerosmith is ok if you like pop music, which is what they turned out to be over the past 30 years.  Kind of like ZZ Top.  Oh well, they sure did make a lot of $$$ by doing so though.
(10-21-2022, 04:12 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]

I'm of this same opinion. Seen them twice, absolutely horrible live reproduction of their music. I mean HORRIBLE.
Triumph and REO Speedwagon were amazing in concert.
(10-22-2022, 01:14 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Triumph and REO Speedwagon were amazing in concert.

In 1985 I was at the pool in Diego Garcia, some dude kept looping a REO cassette on his boom box. After about three hours and a liter of $2.00 Jack Daniels I go over and offer dude 10 bucks for his tape. He's like WHY? I say, I just want it and didn't have it in my collection. He readily agrees as he could replace it at the exchange for $2. He hands it to me, I proceed to smash it against the concrete shattering it everywhere. Banana I kick the remains in the pool. Dude just looked at me like [BLEEP]? Laughing My boys were laughing their collective [BLEEP] off.
(10-22-2022, 01:47 PM)Jagwired Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-22-2022, 01:14 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Triumph and REO Speedwagon were amazing in concert.

In 1985 I was at the pool in Diego Garcia, some dude kept looping a REO cassette on his boom box. After about three hours and a liter of $2.00 Jack Daniels I go over and offer dude 10 bucks for his tape. He's like WHY? I say, I just want it and didn't have it in my collection. He readily agrees as he could replace it at the exchange for $2. He hands it to me, I proceed to smash it against the concrete shattering it everywhere. Banana I kick the remains in the pool. Dude just looked at me like [BLEEP]? Laughing My boys were laughing their collective [BLEEP] off.

He buys 5 more cassettes of REO and loops each one at the pool, making $8 for each smashed. 

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3...ipo=images]
(10-22-2022, 01:55 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-22-2022, 01:47 PM)Jagwired Wrote: [ -> ]In 1985 I was at the pool in Diego Garcia, some dude kept looping a REO cassette on his boom box. After about three hours and a liter of $2.00 Jack Daniels I go over and offer dude 10 bucks for his tape. He's like WHY? I say, I just want it and didn't have it in my collection. He readily agrees as he could replace it at the exchange for $2. He hands it to me, I proceed to smash it against the concrete shattering it everywhere. Banana I kick the remains in the pool. Dude just looked at me like [BLEEP]? Laughing My boys were laughing their collective [BLEEP] off.

He buys 5 more cassettes of REO and loops each one at the pool, making $8 for each smashed. 

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3...ipo=images]
If dude had started looping that [BLEEP] again it wouldn't have been a tape getting smashed!! Laughing
Forty Five years ago wow. Kind of like their version of the Day the Music Died there. RIP!
This was one of thier classic live shows from 1977 at the Oakland Coliseum. It's reported that the Rolling Stones didn't want to go on after they finished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxIWDmmqZzY
The current lineup of LS is pretty bad. I went to that concert they had at the stadium a few years back. I remember the singer getting pissed cause they were filming the show and the crowd wasn’t as in to it as he wanted. Could’ve been mad at something else but that’s what it seemed like to me.
Pages: 1 2