Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Caldwell can't coach
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
He has one trick...to blitz, blitz, and blitz some more.

A running QB will kill a blitzing team. Anyone remember why we couldn't beat the Titans in '99? We beat every other team easily except them because they had McNair. McNair would escape the blitz and pick up the 1st down.

In the Giants game he should have stopped blitzing the inside LBs and put them in zone or even had one spy Jones. If the ILBs weren't blitzing last week the Colts wouldn't have killed us with crossing routes.

Caldwell is a liability right now.
I don’t think Caldwell is the problem. It wasn’t Caldwell that got beat like a drum on that last TD pass from Ryan.

This week against the Giants it wasn’t Caldwell’s fault that Etienne fumbled. And it wasn’t his fault the offense scored 17 points.
99 titans won because jeff had our playbook and many others for that matter.
It's pretty obvious that this Defense has been exposed and teams are going to keep doing it until they prove they can stop it. Crossers and QB Zone reads. Any half way mobile QB is going to eat us up on the ground.

Can we talk about how they gave up 107 rushing yards to Daniel freaking Jones... Where was the adjustment? Again, back to back weeks this Defense shows zero adjustment to something that's gashing them play after play.
(10-23-2022, 05:09 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]It's pretty obvious that this Defense has been exposed and teams are going to keep doing it until they prove they can stop it. Crossers and QB Zone reads. Any half way mobile QB is going to eat us up on the ground.

Can we talk about how they gave up 107 rushing yards to Daniel freaking Jones... Where was the adjustment? Again, back to back weeks this Defense shows zero adjustment to something that's gashing them play after play.

Did they even spy him once?
(10-23-2022, 05:00 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t think Caldwell is the problem. It wasn’t Caldwell that got beat like a drum on that last TD pass from Ryan.

This week against the Giants it wasn’t Caldwell’s fault that Etienne fumbled. And it wasn’t his fault the offense scored 17 points.

I'm telling you...Caldwell is the problem. The D has given up game winning drives what 4-5 weeks?

It means squat to look good all game and then when the games on the line, with a lead, the other team just March down the field.
(10-23-2022, 05:10 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-23-2022, 05:09 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]It's pretty obvious that this Defense has been exposed and teams are going to keep doing it until they prove they can stop it. Crossers and QB Zone reads. Any half way mobile QB is going to eat us up on the ground.

Tough to spy with just 2 LB on most plays, when they have 3 and 4 wide.

(10-23-2022, 05:10 PM)Mandeezee Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-23-2022, 05:00 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t think Caldwell is the problem. It wasn’t Caldwell that got beat like a drum on that last TD pass from Ryan.

I'm telling you...Caldwell is the problem. The D has given up game winning drives what 4-5 weeks?

It means squat to look good all game and then when the games on the line, with a lead, the other team just March down the field.

Right now the defense is ranked 9th in ppg. I don’t think it’s Caldwell that is losing the game. I could easily point to Walker making 2 bonehead penalties in back to back weeks that pretty much put the game away. Griffin was the culprit against Indy. The coaches can’t get out there and make the plays and call them.

I'm trying to tell people...

We're impressed by how aggressive the defense is and how guys flying around...but when it matters...4-5 teams who aren't offensive juggernauts drove the field and scored TOUCHDOWNS.

The players are undisciplined in key moments, neutral zone, late hits, roughing the passer.

If Doug wasn't making dumb decisions, he would need to pull Caldwell aside and tell him run more zone and stop all that blitzing. Tell him his front FIVE are going have to get the job done. That's 5v5, someone needs to win!
(10-23-2022, 05:10 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote: [ -> ]

Nope and the Edge just collapsed on the RB every single time. They never even made attempts towards Jones and he knew it towards the end of the game which is why he was killing us with ease on those zone reads.
The corners can't cover deep, the run defense is sloppy and we don't generate rush off the edge.

As the weeks go by, it seems like the first colts game and the chargers games are anomalies.

BTW, did Treyvon show up today? Our base defense essentially has 5 lineman and a safety in the box. Getting gashedluke this is an embarassment
(10-23-2022, 05:10 PM)Mandeezee Wrote: [ -> ]

I've been saying this since week one but everybody wants to blame Trevor
Anybody can coach, it's a matter of how well that they can coach. The D looked out of source the entire game. I even told a fan sitting beside me that we were going to get an penalty for too many men on the defensive side of the ball. Sure as [BLEEP], the very next drive it happened. Our defense didn't know who was suppose to be in or out.

We allowed Jones to run at will and didn't make adjustments to stop it. Within this game we again shot ourselves in the foot and don't get me started on Peterson's decisions. We have not learned how to win as a young team. Well get there though.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
Yeah. Defense has been a flaming bag of dog [BLEEP] last four weeks. No answers for anything. No pass rush. Got owned in the passing game last week. Got owned on the ground this week. Not sure why anybody would be confident with this defense in London.

Denver has good receivers. Gordon is a capable running back. Wilson is mobile. This defense could [BLEEP] around and let Wilson have one of those 100 yards rushing, 300 yards passing kind of game. They bend and bend and bend. They try not to break but whats happening is after they bend for 3 quarters they are tired out in the 4th quarter and basically break.

They're not effecting the QB at all. It's just not there. Those turnovers are not there anymore. Then they seem to get flagged for something on virtually the most critical times of the game.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
(10-23-2022, 05:11 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-23-2022, 05:10 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote: [ -> ]Did they even spy him once?

Tough to spy with just 2 LB on most plays, when they have 3 and 4 wide.

(10-23-2022, 05:10 PM)Mandeezee Wrote: [ -> ]I'm telling you...Caldwell is the problem. The D has given up game winning drives what 4-5 weeks?

Right now the defense is ranked 9th in ppg. I don’t think it’s Caldwell that is losing the game. I could easily point to Walker making 2 bonehead penalties in back to back weeks that pretty much put the game away. Griffin was the culprit against Indy. The coaches can’t get out there and make the plays and call them.

4-5 GAME WINNING TOUCHDOWNS!!!

Not field goals...TOUCHDOWNS.

That is on the defense Caldwell is calling despite the penalties.

They're ranked 9th in ppg because they confuse teams until the 3rd or 4th quarter. Where teams make adjustments and Caldwell doesn't. So the scores are low, and close, but teams keep pounding the ball and take that deep shot against CBs who can't play M2M. Plus blitzing tires your defense faster.
the whole team sucks at winning,they are the best at loseing close games right now,but can't win them for nothing. 0-5 in close games.
(10-23-2022, 05:22 PM)nejagsfan Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-23-2022, 05:10 PM)Mandeezee Wrote: [ -> ]I'm telling you...Caldwell is the problem. The D has given up game winning drives what 4-5 weeks?

I've been saying this since week one but everybody wants to blame Trevor

Both can be true.

Btw, I think people underestimate how mobile Daniel Jones is.
So there are caveats:

It is Caldwell's first year being a coordinator. He is still trying to figure some of the things out, including say in game adjustments and in season adjustments. Sure we hoped he would be great immediately but it is too early to make that call.

On top of that, this defense is full of mostly young guys. Even the vets are mid-range free agents. Mid-range free agents have holes in their game.

It takes time for this to gel. If there is no improvement at all by the end the season, it is definitely cause for worry. But i think it is a bit too soon to get too far to that level.

on top that , Jags cannot make any major changes to the roster or Caldwell right now in season anyways.
Same story as everywhere else on this team, it's 7 games into year 1 and they're playing a bunch of really young guys with some mid-tier vets.
(10-23-2022, 08:09 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Same story as everywhere else on this team, it's 7 games into year 1 and they're playing a bunch of really young guys with some mid-tier vets.

Still would like to see some adjustment being made. They did nothing to stop the crossers last week and did nothing to stop the zone read today. There's absolutely no reason Danny Jones should run for 107 on you. Unacceptable.
I think this week's gameplan was exclusively to restrict Barkley, and that they did, up until the final drive. Unfortunately, that came at the expense of overselling against the handoff, and Jones was way too free to get to sidelines on scrambles or read option plays. In doing so, it was yet another way the D couldn't put him in the dirt. And that right there is the key to our faltering - we are not making QBs uncomfortable. At. All.

What was the plainest thing to see all preseason? We are THIN. Everywhere. There's no breathers, no backups suitable to spell any of the starting defenders. It's no wonder these guys are wilting by the 4th.

I think one of the biggest needs of this team is a 3-4 End who can help open up our OLB. What do we have now? Hamilton? Gotsis? Smoot? Roy Rob? No linemen fears those types of lunchpail guys. You do need those types of players on a roster, but they shouldn't be the ones you're counting on to solve your problems.

We start getting to QBs, we start creating turnovers. We stop losing close games. Apparently, Allen and Walker aren't enough to get the job done on their own, nor should we expect that of them. Unfortunately, it appears that help is not on the way, at least for this season.
Pages: 1 2 3