Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: question for all of you
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
so we can go out and say progressive improvement, slow and steady we will get there.  but here is my question, what does everyone think our biggest issue is right now. to get over that hump between winning and losing.  we aren't getting blown out but we are losing by less than a touchdown in every game but the Philly game which was 8.  these losses hurt more than the ones where we get blown out in my opinion.

here is my reasoning.

1) QB needs to play better, needs to know when to fight for another day, two games now he blew the chance when we had 3 more downs inside the 2.  
2) playcalling getting to cute when just need to run a basic offense
3) Defense lost us 5 games as much as the offence.  we had 5 leads and we blew them all within 3 mins of final game  

i think these are all fixable and just need some players to start playing like there talent suggest,  Josh Allen, Trevor Lawrence, Olukun  i'm looking at you 3.

i'm still DTWD and forever but to say I'm disappointed would be a understatement.  

but a couple things i am happy about with this team

1) Travis Etienne i was on the Jrob bus, and now got to see him as the lone back, i am really excited and see why he was so electrifying in college
2) Travon Walker, he has been in plays, made some rookie dumb penalty, but almost every game there is a holding against him and many more that aren't called.  he is legit and the future is bright
3) Jawan Tayler and Cam Robinson, they both have been solid and both have made big impact on some of the runs by getting up and blocking guys for the runners.  i feel they might trade Jawan in favor for Little cause of Contract if they keep him but right now these two are playing very well.
4) Kirk, Zay and Engram - These 3 have been very solid, Kirk i know was paid well but we all know coming in he isn't a Bonafede #1 WR he is a cooper Kupp, kinda receiver.  you need get him the ball in stride and he makes YAC.  i think we can utlize these guys more when Trevor can start making the throws more consistent.
1. Play calling that doesn't use the run game in the red zone.
(11-01-2022, 12:11 PM)icey14 Wrote: [ -> ]so we can go out and say progressive improvement, slow and steady we will get there.  but here is my question, what does everyone think our biggest issue is right now. to get over that hump between winning and losing.  we aren't getting blown out but we are losing by less than a touchdown in every game but the Philly game which was 8.  these losses hurt more than the ones where we get blown out in my opinion.

here is my reasoning.

1) QB needs to play better, needs to know when to fight for another day, two games now he blew the chance when we had 3 more downs inside the 2.  
2) playcalling getting to cute when just need to run a basic offense
3) Defense lost us 5 games as much as the offence.  we had 5 leads and we blew them all within 3 mins of final game  

i think these are all fixable and just need some players to start playing like there talent suggest,  Josh Allen, Trevor Lawrence, Olukun  i'm looking at you 3.

i'm still DTWD and forever but to say I'm disappointed would be a understatement.  

but a couple things i am happy about with this team

1) Travis Etienne i was on the Jrob bus, and now got to see him as the lone back, i am really excited and see why he was so electrifying in college
2) Travon Walker, he has been in plays, made some rookie dumb penalty, but almost every game there is a holding against him and many more that aren't called.  he is legit and the future is bright
3) Jawan Tayler and Cam Robinson, they both have been solid and both have made big impact on some of the runs by getting up and blocking guys for the runners.  i feel they might trade Jawan in favor for Little cause of Contract if they keep him but right now these two are playing very well.
4) Kirk, Zay and Engram - These 3 have been very solid, Kirk i know was paid well but we all know coming in he isn't a Bonafede #1 WR he is a cooper Kupp, kinda receiver.  you need get him the ball in stride and he makes YAC.  i think we can utlize these guys more when Trevor can start making the throws more consistent.

It's really two main things right now. It's poor execution and decision making inside the red zone or within striking distance, this applies, to both, the offense and the coaching staff. 

I don't care if the play call is for you to run a 3 yard out and throw it to the corner of the end zone and then go home later that night and smack your momma around in the living room. When a play is called and the ball is in your hands? Git er' done son! 

Doug also needs to stop gambling on 4th down when he's inside the red zone and his kicker can clearly make the field goals there. It's not like he has a peg leg or something. Give him a chance. Kickers matter too. 

The other main issue is the 4th quarter play of this defense. They just completely fold and clam up in crunch time. They cannot get off the field on 3rd down. They erase big time plays with personal fouls. They blow their assignments or just flat out get smoked. 

Shore up the early turnovers, execute in the red zone, REGARDLESS of play call, and find your inner fire on defense in the 4th quarter when your team has the lead. You do that a few times? You're at least sitting at .500 right now at the minimum.
If we executed at a high % in the red zone then we would probably only have 1 loss (Eagles). Agreed on the execution lacking from the offense and the coaching staff. The 4Q has been a huge issue as well but a lot of our games could have been 2 score games late with better offensive execution in the red zone. Hopefully, both of these can improve soon but the red zone execution has been the most ‘embarrassing’ in my opinion.
Biggest issue is lack of interior pass rush. Hear me out.

Our OLB are built for speed and versatility. They need the interior of the line to help them get home. Sacks create long 3rd down plays. Long yardage situations force QB into bad passes, resulting in more sacks, turnovers, and get the D off the field. It takes a while to get around a tackle on an outside rush, and without interior help, QBs have been teeing off on quick plays that don't allow our best defenders a chance to rack up sacks.

Doing that allows the offense to take advantage of short fields, build leads, and take pressure off our QB. We'll all admit that he's currently making dumb mistakes when the pressure is squarely on his shoulders in close games. Let's prevent the games from staying close and see what happens. We got a taste of it earlier this year, and he even was awarded POTW for his effort.

We were a different team when we were forcing turnovers and harassing QB. We need that to show up again. The rest will take care of itself.
(11-01-2022, 12:56 PM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]Biggest issue is lack of interior pass rush. Hear me out.

Our OLB are built for speed and versatility. They need the interior of the line to help them get home. Sacks create long 3rd down plays. Long yardage situations force QB into bad passes, resulting in more sacks, turnovers, and get the D off the field. It takes a while to get around a tackle on an outside rush, and without interior help, QBs have been teeing off on quick plays that don't allow our best defenders a chance to rack up sacks.

Doing that allows the offense to take advantage of short fields, build leads, and take pressure off our QB. We'll all admit that he's currently making dumb mistakes when the pressure is squarely on his shoulders in close games. Let's prevent the games from staying close and see what happens. We got a taste of it earlier this year, and he even was awarded POTW for his effort.

We were a different team when we were forcing turnovers and harassing QB. We need that to show up again. The rest will take care of itself.

i think with Foley out there we are alot better when it's him and Hamilton instead of hamilton and Peters.  i have not been impressed with Olukun in the last few games. but then i can't be really upset at a defense for giving up more than 24 only a couple times all season. just when we need a stop they can't do it.  the going for it on 4th down instead of FGs kills me inside haha
This team is so near being pretty good. However, almost doesnt count.
Make fewer mistakes

Improve red zone play calls and play design

That's it

They have 5 or 6 wins right now if they cut dumb errors by half and get the ball across the paint when lingering inside the 5 yd line
Being consistent

Would be nice to be able to say, oh our offence might suck this game but at least we have our defence to rely on or visa versa

Each r both way 2 inconsistent
Gotta get Josh Allen going somehow. We need some strip sack-scoop-score type plays.