Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Seattle and Vancouver
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I happened across these two videos while checking out the recent cleanup efforts in SWFL.  I visited both of these cities in 2017, and while I did see a good bit of this in the expected areas, from these videos it looks like it has gotten exponentially worse since then.  So sad and so unnecessary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpAi70WWBlw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT8OU8Yhs_s
According to Democrats, access to abortion is the number one concern of voters.
(11-02-2022, 06:33 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]According to Democrats, access to abortion is the number one concern of voters.

Spoken like the true problem causers/ignorers that they are.
'As your Border Czar, I can tell you the borders are secure.'

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcompote.slate.com%2Fima...ipo=images]

'But...'

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftennesseestar.com%2Fwp-...ipo=images]

RACISTS!!!!!

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi0.wp.com%2Ftheralphret...ipo=images]
I watched the Seattle one a few years ago and just felt sad for the people who need mental health care but can't get it and are left on the streets to live like that. I'll have to watch the Vancouver one. 

The Seattle politics did piss me off. I do remember wanting to reach in my TV and slap those idiots. Two very serious issues - mental illness among the homeless and the politics - with no real solution for either.
Lack of housing and mental illness are a cycle.
They don't want to build more housing, is basically the entire problem.
If these people weren't evicted due to decades of new money coming in chasing old buildings, they wouldn't be on the street, and they wouldn't be mentally ill.
(11-02-2022, 10:11 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]I watched the Seattle one a few years ago and just felt sad for the people who need mental health care but can't get it and are left on the streets to live like that. I'll have to watch the Vancouver one. 

The Seattle politics did piss me off. I do remember wanting to reach in my TV and slap those idiots. Two very serious issues - mental illness among the homeless and the politics - with no real solution for either.

Sounds like its been a while since you watched the Seattle one, but the producers spent some time at the end going to Providence, RI and studying what they did for the same problems. Incarceration and intervention, with lifelong medication to prevent falling back into addiction, was the solution for Providence. They claimed only a 7% recidivist rate once released from the facility, due to the medical follow ups and counseling. As someone who has experienced non-criminal addiction issues in the past, only 7% is really impressive.
(11-02-2022, 10:30 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-02-2022, 10:11 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]I watched the Seattle one a few years ago and just felt sad for the people who need mental health care but can't get it and are left on the streets to live like that. I'll have to watch the Vancouver one. 

Sounds like its been a while since you watched the Seattle one, but the producers spent some time at the end going to Providence, RI and studying what they did for the same problems.  Incarceration and intervention, with lifelong medication to prevent falling back into addiction, was the solution for Providence.  They claimed only a 7% recidivist rate once released from the facility, due to the medical follow ups and counseling and housing.

Folks living on the streets tend not to use medication regularly or correctly.
(11-02-2022, 10:30 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Lack of housing and mental illness are a cycle. 
If these people weren't evicted due to decades of new money coming in chasing old buildings, they wouldn't be on the street, and they wouldn't be mentally ill.

It seems like you're saying they're homeless because of mental illness, and they're mentally ill because of homelessness.  

So, if we build homes for them, and we get them on medication, has anyone figured out the cost of that?
(11-03-2022, 06:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-02-2022, 10:30 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Lack of housing and mental illness are a cycle. 

It seems like you're saying they're homeless because of mental illness, and they're mentally ill because of homelessness.  

So, if we build homes for them, and we get them on medication, has anyone figured out the cost of that?

If the private sector had been free to build the new homes that the new residents actually wanted, most of these people would still be in old homes and the government wouldn't have to spend any new money on them.
Even now, most of these people can end up in stable housing if the city just liberalizes its zoning laws.  It'll take a while but it won't take much government money.  Of course the government would have to spend some money on drug treatment and on paying their first few months of rent while they get situated into new jobs, but that's probably a lot less money than what you had in mind asking the question.

You know why it's not going to happen. Implicit in this plan is that supply of housing would increase such that housing prices actually go down from the unreasonable highs they are at now. That makes everything cheaper from the perspective of getting the homeless into homes. But the current homeowners will never vote for that, of course.
(11-03-2022, 06:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]

The studies show they are homeless because of drug addiction. Whether that's tied to mental illness or not probably varies from person to person. In any case, Seattle police don't even bother to arrest them any longer for theft or public vagrancy because they will be ordered to release them in 24 hours anyway. That's why RI went to incarceration and intervention. Per the video, Seattle has a large facility of some sort sitting empty. Better to spend money on turning that into a secure rehab center than to lose tax revenue from businesses failing and people leaving Seattle.
(11-03-2022, 09:23 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2022, 06:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]It seems like you're saying they're homeless because of mental illness, and they're mentally ill because of homelessness.  

The studies show they are homeless because of drug addiction.  Whether that's tied to mental illness or not probably varies from person to person.  In any case, Seattle police don't even bother to arrest them any longer for theft or public vagrancy because they will be ordered to release them in 24 hours anyway.  That's why RI went to incarceration and intervention.  Per the video, Seattle has a large facility of some sort sitting empty.  Better to spend money on turning that into a secure rehab center than to lose tax revenue from businesses failing and people leaving Seattle.

The problems are myriad, but the common denominators are drugs which are more highly addictive than ever, and a laissez-faire attitude of local governments trending left for the past decade. 
The cities which bear the biggest brunt of this crisis are the ones who declared themselves as sanctuaries from big mean common sense policies.

As the narrator states in “Seattle is Dying” while showing the scene of the crazed addict raving in the middle of a sidewalk, “How is this compassion?”
I used to believe like many of you, that homeless people tended to be attracted to certain cities from elsewhere.
I've read up on it. It's not true.
Some homeless people travel. Most don't. Most of the homeless people in any given place were once paying renters in that place.
"Sanctuary" policies and "decriminalizing" policies have very little effect, according to people who actually interview the homeless.
(11-03-2022, 09:23 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2022, 06:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]It seems like you're saying they're homeless because of mental illness, and they're mentally ill because of homelessness.  

The studies show they are homeless because of drug addiction.  Whether that's tied to mental illness or not probably varies from person to person.  In any case, Seattle police don't even bother to arrest them any longer for theft or public vagrancy because they will be ordered to release them in 24 hours anyway.  That's why RI went to incarceration and intervention.  Per the video, Seattle has a large facility of some sort sitting empty.  Better to spend money on turning that into a secure rehab center than to lose tax revenue from businesses failing and people leaving Seattle.

If you look at rents over an approximate 10 mile radius of each city, rent for a 1 bed 750 sf apartment is about 70% more in Seattle compared to Providence.
Yes, Seattle should offer more thorough drug treatment.
They also need to build more housing.
It's not housing it's drugs. I live in Seattle. These are people that have burned every bridge and can't even stay with their mom.
(11-03-2022, 11:02 AM)snaxdelrio Wrote: [ -> ]It's not housing it's drugs. I live in Seattle. These are people that have burned every bridge and can't even stay with their mom.

Every city has people who destroy their lives with drugs and get kicked out of their parents' house as a result. Is that the only way people become homeless? Why would Seattle (and the West Coast in general) have so many more homeless people than other places? The statistics I've seen say that the highest rates for opioid and meth abuse are in Appalachia, while the highest rates of alcoholism are in Wisconsin.  Yet rates of homelessness are low in both places.  Which drugs are poor folks on the west coast abusing at such a higher rate than others?
It's mostly Fenty nowadays the kids call it smoking blues
(11-03-2022, 12:09 PM)snaxdelrio Wrote: [ -> ]It's mostly Fenty nowadays the kids call it smoking blues

The West Coast had way more than their fair share of homeless people long before the cartels started making Fentanyl.
(11-03-2022, 10:05 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2022, 09:23 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]The studies show they are homeless because of drug addiction.  Whether that's tied to mental illness or not probably varies from person to person.  In any case, Seattle police don't even bother to arrest them any longer for theft or public vagrancy because they will be ordered to release them in 24 hours anyway.  That's why RI went to incarceration and intervention.  Per the video, Seattle has a large facility of some sort sitting empty.  Better to spend money on turning that into a secure rehab center than to lose tax revenue from businesses failing and people leaving Seattle.

If you look at rents over an approximate 10 mile radius of each city, rent for a 1 bed 750 sf apartment is about 70% more in Seattle compared to Providence.

Give a homeless druggie housing and what do you have?  Drug addiction, while not the only cause, is a huge contributing factor to the homeless surge spreading across the country.  All the housing in the world won't fix the underlying problem.
(11-03-2022, 12:52 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2022, 10:05 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]If you look at rents over an approximate 10 mile radius of each city, rent for a 1 bed 750 sf apartment is about 70% more in Seattle compared to Providence.

Give a homeless druggie housing and what do you have?  Drug addiction, while not the only cause, is a huge contributing factor to the homeless surge spreading across the country.  All the housing in the world won't fix the underlying problem.

Did I use the verb "give"?
I'd expect them to earn the housing once the supply and demand equilibriate affordable hosuing exists again.
Drug treatment is the first step for those that are abusing drugs.  Very hard to hold down a job while addicted to drugs.
Many of them are not abusing drugs, though.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5